Port in SE Mass/RI

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Chris D

Port in SE Mass/RI

Post by Chris D »

New to the site and excited that I found it. I live in SE Mass and cannot get alcohol shipped to me however, I do have several friend in RI so that is a possibility. I have scoured my area for a liquor store that has a good variety of Port (I am partial to Noval) but have been unsuccessful. This I find hard to believe because my area has a very large Portuguese population.

If anyone has knowledge of a liquor store in the Providence/Newport, RI or SE Mass/Cape Cod area please give me a shout. Also, any internet liquor sites would be equally helpful.

Thanks,

Chris
Buy the ticket, take the ride. Gonzo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Port in SE Mass/RI

Post by Roy Hersh »

Chris,

Fortunately for you, there are several people who come here to post from your region. I am sure you'll get some answers to your question.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Cardoza's in Fairhaven seemed fairly decent. Good supply of Burmester, which I find hard to find in the US.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Chris D

Post by Chris D »

Roy and Marco thanks for the quick replies. After an exhaustive internet search I did find a place in Newport, RI which looks promising, Vickers Wine 274 Bellevue Ave. 02840, 401. 847.0123.

http://www.vickersliquors.com/Home.htm
Buy the ticket, take the ride. Gonzo
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Chris D wrote:Roy and Marco thanks for the quick replies. After an exhaustive internet search I did find a place in Newport, RI which looks promising, Vickers Wine 274 Bellevue Ave. 02840, 401. 847.0123.

http://www.vickersliquors.com/Home.htm
With Petrus in the store window baking away and Lafite on the top shelf near the ceiling getting blasted for years with heat? That Vickers????

They've been well cleaned out of most their deals. You might find a few things. There's another liquor store a few hundred yards away that had decent stuff at great prices; forget their name though.

If you live in the area, you know the Portuguese aren't big spenders on wine and most don't go for Vintage port. Kappy's sells Noval and had some decent prices. Your steals from Portugal are in dry wines in our area. Best selection of Dao's you'll find outside of Portugal; especially in the under $20 price range. Try Martys in Newton. They sell Noval and have a great selection of Madiera.

The local distributors don't get a line on Port that much. You can have your local store just order Noval and it shouldn't be a problem. All the big names have distributors from around Boston area.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars