Do you belong to a Port or wine tasting group?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: Do you belong to a Port or wine tasting group?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:Moses,

So what are you going to do now that Sean is going to be moving?

Are you going to start up a new Port wine tasting group in MA? [shrug.gif]

If you ARE going to do that, I am willing to help. :salute:
Always looking for some to drink port with! Would love to get Madeira drinking too. Doesn't need to 1795, just lots of it!

I know a few people, but nobody is buying anything of note. How many times can there be an evening of 1980-95 port? Not so much an event as just casual drinking. Actually, I have been drinking a lot of port since August, but we'll go through a case of one or two vintages and it's not that exciting.

A tasting group with relative strangers would be fun. I don't think I could host more than 4 at my place, but I have around 80+ IDVP's to help someone out who wants to host. That's enough glasses for 6-8 people. If they'll allow cigar smoking [beg.gif] I don't mind at my place, but my condo is small.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So the question(s) begs asking:

a. will local restuarants allow you to have a group in ... bringing in your own glasses AND bottles with minimal to no corkage fees; in return for providing a private room for frequent patronage and selling meals for 6-8 people a handful of times per year?

b. what are you willing to do to garner the interest of local Port drinkers in your area?

Organizing these group tastings, small or large ... require work and the willingness to take on that responsibility. Are you ready, willing and able? [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:So the question(s) begs asking:

a. will local restuarants allow you to have a group in ... bringing in your own glasses AND bottles with minimal to no corkage fees; in return for providing a private room for frequent patronage and selling meals for 6-8 people a handful of times per year?

b. what are you willing to do to garner the interest of local Port drinkers in your area?

Organizing these group tastings, small or large ... require work and the willingness to take on that responsibility. Are you ready, willing and able? [shrug.gif]
I don't know to all questions.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

With some of the new folks here coming from your Region of the USA and close proximity to many of our E. coast Canadian friends, you really should consider this in your spare time, Moses. [cheers.gif]

I wish I had time to organize more Port tastings in my own area, there are so many Port lovers here and budding Port lovers too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:With some of the new folks here coming from your Region of the USA and close proximity to many of our E. coast Canadian friends, you really should consider this in your spare time, Moses. [cheers.gif]

I wish I had time to organize more Port tastings in my own area, there are so many Port lovers here and budding Port lovers too.
My house is too small. I know one person who could host, but no cigars... He has about 30+ IDVP's. I'll run it by him.
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

David Sweet wrote:Unfortunately no--but would love to start one!! Anyone in Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford, even Quad Cities interested?
Hello David.

I'm in Madison, and a recent subscriber here at FTLOP. No tasting group here, just a few friends that my wife and I wine and dine with, when schedules can be coordinated. Hope to meet you sometime.

I'll probably drop by the appropriate forum and introduce myself some time soon...
Tom D.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

It would be a bit presumptuous to call what we have "a group". Two couples who happen to have dinner (usually by ourselves, but occasionally share a table) two nights a week cat a particular restaurant. After dinner we generally move to the bar and have a few glasses of port, either from bar stock or from our "Gang of Port" stock (bottles ordered through and bought from the restaurant, but not entirely consumed at the first night of opening). Other people come and go, and there are a few interested staff members who often drop by. That's all it is.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom D. wrote: Hello David.

I'm in Madison, and a recent subscriber here at FTLOP. No tasting group here, just a few friends that my wife and I wine and dine with, when schedules can be coordinated. Hope to meet you sometime.

I'll probably drop by the appropriate forum and introduce myself some time soon...
Tom,
Sorry, just saw this post :oops: Welcome to FTLOP [welcome.gif]

Please do introduce yourself so we can give you a proper welcome. I hope you are able to meet up with some other :ftlop: 'ers in your area.

andy
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Thank you, Andy. I hope to have time to introduce myself in that thread in the next couple days.

Tom
Tom D.
Frank Carrano

Post by Frank Carrano »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:With some of the new folks here coming from your Region of the USA and close proximity to many of our E. coast Canadian friends, you really should consider this in your spare time, Moses. [cheers.gif]

My house is too small. I know one person who could host, but no cigars... He has about 30+ IDVP's. I'll run it by him.

I live in Boston, and I'm always interested in meeting new people and sharing good Port or wine (or food or beer). I live in an old fire station so if there's one thing I have, it's tons of space for people--the wife would nix the cigars inside, tho the back deck would be fine.

Frank
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Frank Carrano wrote: I live in an old fire station ...the wife would nix the cigars inside
There would be a certain and satisfying irony in smoking a cigar in a house that was once a fire station [dance2.gif]

Well done for volunteering to host an event, Frank :wink:
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

What is the best source for IDVP glasses?
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Frank Carrano wrote: I live in an old fire station ...the wife would nix the cigars inside
There would be a certain and satisfying irony in smoking a cigar in a house that was once a fire station [dance2.gif]

Well done for volunteering to host an event, Frank :wink:
He doesn't know what he's getting himself into :wink: :lol: :lol:

Frank,
How cool to live in an old fire station....but I gotta ask, do you own a Dalmation? [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Peter W. Meek wrote:What is the best source for IDVP glasses?
A very brief search for the IVDP glasses designed by Siza and manufactured by Schott Zwiesel turned up nothing useful, but I'm sure with a little more googling they'd turn up.

On the other hand, the ISO Tasting Glass which is the "old" IVDP glass is easy to find, if you're so inclined.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

if you are interest in 120+ IDVP glasses, I could get them at attractive prices, but less than that quantity; good luck in your search.
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

David,

I'm in a Chicago suburb and would be interested. That makes 2.

Bryan
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

My local has about 60 "normal bar-ware" port glasses; I have 8 or so Riedels. I hope that would get 8-10 of us through a dinner.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bump ... [bye2.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Still looking for people to drink port with...
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

We have a core group of 6 or so that meet infrequently - we've had Port at every meeting so far though! Granted, there have been only 2 meetings to date, but we're working on getting a 3rd meeting put together some time soon (20 year tawnies will be the theme).

On the other subject that seems to have taken over this thread in the past, we have 9 dozen Port glasses (Libbey)_ and about 5 dozen Bordeaux glasses (Spieglau, Reidel).