Regret not pulling the trigger?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Regret not pulling the trigger?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Today an offering came through in an email for a wine producer that I love, but took a pass and did not order. What is the one Port wine offering that you passed up and could kick yourself for not jumping on?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: Regret not pulling the trigger?

Post by Eric Menchen »

At the moment it is the $30 2005 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas. I actually found it at two different places for that price, but both dried up. That wasn't so much an offering, but the one I'm kicking myself about.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

2 x 1970 Noval Nacional for $350 each. I hemmed and hawed for a week before calling them. Finally did and thought I'd gotten the bottles, but they accidentally sold the bottles to someone in the store over the weekend before they could ship 'em out to me so I didn't get 'em.
Glenn Elliott
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

Since the wallet can only handle so much, I'm thinking of passing up the $45 2003 Noval VP's to see what the latest FTLOP deal might be.

Though I'm fairly certain never going to see 2003 Novals for that price ever again.

Mike.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike Kerr wrote:I'm thinking of passing up the $45 2003 Noval VP's
Don't do it!

a) The 2003 Noval is fabulous, so you're going to want a bunch of them anyway.
b) You'll never see that price again, and the bottles will probably double in value in the next 3-5 years.

If I had the space I'd pick up another case or two to go with the case+ of odd bottles I already have.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

+1 on what Glenn said.
David Spriggs
Location: Dana Point, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Mike Kerr wrote:Since the wallet can only handle so much, I'm thinking of passing up the $45 2003 Noval VP's to see what the latest FTLOP deal might be.

Though I'm fairly certain never going to see 2003 Novals for that price ever again.

Mike.
I'm sweating over that exact deal. Gary's is a solid place (I've bought there before). I know I won't see this price again. They had *40 cases* a few days ago. They still have quite a few, but they will sell through it soon at this time of year. I'm really cutting back on my purchases, but this one is hard not to pull the trigger on.

-Dave-
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Not buying more 1980 Ferreiras for $20 each or not buying more 1980 Sandeman Magnums for $60.

Passed on some 1999 Dow Vintage at $20, not sure what I was thinking that day.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Perhaps your great-grandfathers should have pulled the trigger on these...
BBR-USA-1911a.JPG
BBR-USA-1911a.JPG (87.45 KiB) Viewed 803 times
BBR-USA-1911b.JPG
BBR-USA-1911b.JPG (104.33 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Scroll down to the bottom of the second picture: Yes, that is a case of 12 x Croft 1863 for $51 delivered free to New York !!!

In case you can't read the note against the 3 wines at the bottom of the list it says:

"considering the great age in bottle of these wines we do not strongly recommend their shipment"
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I thought it was worth nudging this thread — it's a great theme and deserves to be revived from time to time (look out for some other revivals from me soon...)

My biggest regret is not pulling the trigger on the first FTLOP São Leonardo sale which included delivery to Europe. I really, really should have bought a handful of bottles of the SL 100yo bottled in 75cl for $150.

Last time I looked it was $2,000 for a 50cl bottle.

You live and learn...
Last edited by Al B. on Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:17 pm My biggest regret is not pulling the trigger on the first FTLOP São Leonardo sale which included delivery to Europe. I really, really should have bought a handful of bottles of the SL 100yo bottled in 75cl for $150.

Last time I looked it was $2,000 for a 50cl bottle.
My memory is that the 100yo was never bottled in 750. The very first time we were ever able to buy those Ports we bought hand-lettered "shiner" 750s of the 60yo out of the trunk of Miguel's car at the entrance to Quinta de la Rosa. He was willing to sell us the 100yo also, but Roy wanted to save that for the upcoming buying opportunity.

By the time of the buying op, the 60yo was bottled in 750ml 40yo bottles with a round "60" sticker placed over the 40. And the 100yo was in the now ubiquitous 500ml bottle that comes in the cork box, and IIRC it cost 750 EUR while the "60" cost 100 EUR. I believe that those 750ml bottles of the "60" were only ever sold during that FTLOP buying op, so if you ever see one for sale that's where it comes from.

Then for the next buying op, the "60" came in tall, thin 500ml bottles to match the introduction of the white "60".
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:09 am By the time of the buying op, the 60yo was bottled in 750ml 40yo bottles with a round "60" sticker placed over the 40. And the 100yo was in the now ubiquitous 500ml bottle that comes in the cork box, and IIRC it cost 750 EUR while the "60" cost 100 EUR.
I couldn't remember the exact prices, but Glenn's recollection is closer to mine. The 30-year old was a steal, the 40 and 60 bargains. The 100 was not $150, not even $250. The price was good, but on the order of what Glenn wrote.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Maybe it wasn’t the FTLOP offer, but I do remember being offered (by Miguel) the 100 year old in 750ml bottles. It was when I first tasted the two mother wines and the. The blend.

I should have bought everything he offered. I didn’t. I have a couple of 100yo bottles, but they are the 500ml bottles.

Hey ho. At least I bought a handful of the 40yo and 30yo Mother Wines when they were offered.