Do we keep Douro wines part of FTLOP?

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Do we keep Douro wines part of FTLOP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I see so little traffic and interest shown here re: Douro wines. The same five people and typically the same half dozen producers mentioned.

Is it time to make a change? [shrug.gif]

We are looking to make changes in the Forum this coming month anyway, but without any real participation here, I question if we keep this going. Refocus on just Port and Madeira and stick to fortified wine or is there a contingent that sees this area as a requisite for the Forum?

I know what I'd "like to do" but will listen to your voice. :scholar:

:thanks:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Otto Nieminen

Re: Do we keep Douro wines part of FTLOP?

Post by Otto Nieminen »

I still find it a great place to search for TNs on wines that might come my way. But, as I suggested some time ago, I would like to see it opened up to all table wines from Portugal, not just Douro. There is so much else of interest in the country, too. Might that enliven it a bit?
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

Sorry guys, been so so long. But absolutely please keep Douros on here. Chat soon.
Marilyn Eickenhorst

Post by Marilyn Eickenhorst »

I would be disappointed to see the Douro wine section disappear. It's been very helpful.

Marilyn
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Yes, there does seem to be very little traffic on this part of the forum. For myself I like the section on Douro wines and agree with Otto that it should be expanded to include wines from other parts of Portugal. Perhaps it might increase the traffic. I must admit that sometimes I forget that this section is "reserved" for Douro wines and in past posts have inadvertantly included non-Douro wines.

I should also admit to not frequenting the site as often as I might like as I am away from home, living in a place where there are no wine stores. I was able to get into a duty free warehouse for diplomats and pick up a few bottles of wine but there weren't any Portuguese wines let alone port. Unfortunately this state of affair will continue for some time.

Anyway, it's always fun to look up the forum and post a comment now and then. It helps me dream about when I can go home, browse the wine store and pick wines from the cellar.

Thanks.................Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Some sound comments so far. Hopefully others will also chime in.

I for one agree that it should be opened up to all the dry wines of Portugal. In such an expanding market, it makes sense to include them all. :scholar:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Of course I want to see this section been kept up. I've been drinking more Douro wines than ports for the last 3 years at least, but unfortunately I haven't spent as much time as I would have love to to write TN. One thing important to say is that the lack of variety in the section is probably coming from the lact of volume exported, with time it should increase and this section should build in interest.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Otto Nieminen wrote:I still find it a great place to search for TNs on wines that might come my way. But, as I suggested some time ago, I would like to see it opened up to all table wines from Portugal, not just Douro. There is so much else of interest in the country, too. Might that enliven it a bit?
I totally agree. We should open it up to discuss all the wines of Portugal.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lots of solid suggestions and good to see that people do care about Douro wines and table wines from Portugal overall. Now if only you folks would step up with an occasional tasting note, discussion topic or post of some kind here in this area ... it would then prove to be worth keeping beyond a half dozen posts of yours in this thread. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Please keep this section. [beg.gif]

Actually, I would like to see expanded into general Portugal dry wines. I am split even between Dao's and Douro's would like to read more about what Dao's, Douro's & Altenjo's I should look out for.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Please keep this. [beg.gif]
Douro wine threads are few and far between most sites on the Douro just concentrate on Port.
I will try and post some notes/comments on the wines I try, this week in London has been great for trying Douro wines.I think it would be a great pity to lose this.
I have tried to organise a Douro tasting in the UK but have found little take up! If anyone is up for it I will provide some interesting wines.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There's a thread below with a poll: What is your favorite Douro vintage overall?

So far in almost a week's time ... ONLY 5 votes (and one of those was mine)! :snooty: Shameful.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Definitely keep this forum. I don't have the experience with Douro table wines and so have less to add to the discussion; but I'm learning a lot from the forum. I think others may be in the same boat as I am.
Pedro Guimaraes

Post by Pedro Guimaraes »

Please do keep this section alive!!!! I´ve been absent from the forum mainly because i now live abroad and tend to drink less portuguese wines but i´ll do my best to contibuite more....

So Roy...keep it going, please!!!!!!
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

Good conversation here. I would be interested in a change to just "Wines of Portugal" instead of "Douro".

Regarding the number of posts, I only visit here once a week. Just do not have the time, my main focus being WLDG and the UK forum. Plus I have a full-time job!!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

by Otto Nieminen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 am
I still find it a great place to search for TNs on wines that might come my way. But, as I suggested some time ago, I would like to see it opened up to all table wines from Portugal, not just Douro. There is so much else of interest in the country, too. Might that enliven it a bit?
As per Otto's request and the voice of others: this area of the Forum now has the new title of Portuguese Table Wine.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to see some fun posts here on wines from the various regions. Maybe we'll occasionally do Virtual Tastings by Region here in the future. I think that would get people to explore many new wines. We'd also find out where there are some solid sources of broad based Portuguese wines sold. Lots of possibilities.

:thanks: again for your ideas. I'll respond to more of the posts in this thread, soon.
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

Great move, more focus for wines from Portugal. It will also be a good place to ask questions.
Just today in DeVines here in town, I came across a sample bottle of `07 Herdade dos Grous . Anyone know of this wine?
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Another vote for keeping it. And I'm looking forward to seeing what's posted on other Portuguese tables wines,too.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will keep the Portuguese theme for six months and as long as there is a decent number of posts on wines from other regions, it will remain as is. However, six months from now, if only Douro wines continue to be posted and discussed, I will revert back to the Douro theme. Up to you folks now! [shrug.gif]
Amber A.

Post by Amber A. »

Roy Hersh wrote: As per Otto's request and the voice of others: this area of the Forum now has the new title of Portuguese Table Wine.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to see some fun posts here on wines from the various regions. Maybe we'll occasionally do Virtual Tastings by Region here in the future. I think that would get people to explore many new wines. We'd also find out where there are some solid sources of broad based Portuguese wines sold. Lots of possibilities.
That would be an awesome idea! There is a lot of great stuff coming out Portugal but there is still a dread lack of common knowledge about these wines even among "wine people". Some virtual tastings that offer people a chance to try new wines and learn a little about these regions would do quite a bit to spread awareness about what is happening in Portugal.

Go for it! :D