port under the stairs ? storage !!

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: port under the stairs ? storage !!

Post by Moses Botbol »

My basement has seasonal temperature swings, but they happen slow and I have do not detected any "flaws" in my oldest wines. I bought a lot of 2000 BDX as futures, so many of them have been in storage since 2002 and all are fine. I have had a few wines that had 10+ years storage and were glorious. I think many make too much about how the storage has to be like a lab; especially for port. Easy storage is a benefit to port vs. storing Champagne. Keep the cases stacked and put a blanket over it to minimize swings some. I use styro when there's no OWC or for large format bottles that came in styro.

My cellar in Boston is better (even yearly temps) than the one I have at my parent's, but for me "out of sight" will keep my collection much longer.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Dylan Howard

Post by Dylan Howard »

There once was a man from Limerick,
named Symon who could do this one trick,
He'd go under the stairs, and while under their,
he'd carress his long, smooth.... bottle of Fonseca Vintage 1912 port.

I'm not quitting my day job...
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

hi cellar under farthers house actualy near me but i can caress the 63 qnn 45c 22w 48f f70 1912w 1958w 1934k 1912f so lots and lots of caressing coing on in the cellar [berserker.gif] :winebath:
in fact if when you go to bed tonight lets see who has the best dream about drinking them all LOL symonb
Dylan Howard

Post by Dylan Howard »

Symon B wrote:hi cellar under farthers house actualy near me but i can caress the 63 qnn 45c 22w 48f f70 1912w 1958w 1934k 1912f so lots and lots of caressing coing on in the cellar [berserker.gif] :winebath:
in fact if when you go to bed tonight lets see who has the best dream about drinking them all LOL symonb

[cheers.gif] I'd love to dream about having and drinking your port collection Symon!
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

well let me know what it was like tommorow in your dreams indeed for your nice comments if you come over to ireland in the nexed 6 months il open one and you can partake is say the ware 1912 hows that my friend symonb [cheers.gif]
in search of the finest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

you can fly into shannon continental symonb [cheers.gif]
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

A 1912 f ? Hmmmm im there...LOL I have friends in Dublin, but i can hop over to Limerick
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

hi it was the 1922w not 1912f to posibly be openened but only if the chap with the rhyme about me im afraid
having said that if you are in doublin pop over and il open a later bottle for you and give you a meal symonb
ps just email me
Dylan Howard

Post by Dylan Howard »

Symon B wrote:hi it was the 1922w not 1912f to posibly be openened but only if the chap with the rhyme about me im afraid
having said that if you are in doublin pop over and il open a later bottle for you and give you a meal symonb
ps just email me
I'm afraid I'm not making to Limerick any time soon. Have my first baby on the way in June and my wife would kill me. I wish though!! Thanks for the kind offer. [notworthy.gif] Maybe I should become a professional poet.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Great limerick Dylan. Your wife must be very proud of you for your upcoming baby in June. Is this your first? :mrgreen:

As to visiting Ireland ... I'd make sure to have a signed contract by Symon. [rotfl.gif]

That said, I had the strangest dream last night. I woke up in his cellar, slunked over on the floor where apparently I fell asleep. I was surrounded by the likes of some incredible bottles of vintage Port, with a glass in one hand, a bottle of 1912F in the other and a 14" straw dangling out of my mouth. Very weird dream. Thanks Symon!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Dylan Howard

Post by Dylan Howard »

Roy,

It is our first. We're supremely excited. Thanks for asking!

dylan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As a parent who love his one child more than his entire Port collection ... may I advise ...

a. Buy all the Port you can afford NOW ... trust me!

b. "THEY" are right ... it really does "get more fun every day, from the time they're born" (note: I've never dealt with teenage years!)

c. The sum total of Port purchased in the 7 years after my daughter's birth was equivalent to annual purchases for each of the seven years prior to her birth. Re-read A. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:b. "THEY" are right ... it really does "get more fun every day, from the time they're born" (note: I've never dealt with teenage years!)
Re the teenage caveat: Replace the word "fun" with "interesting" and you'll not be wrong :wink: [help.gif]
Mark D

Post by Mark D »

I've been indecisive about this one. Under the stairs is relatively constant in the low to mid 70's, or in the garage where it varies from low 40's to low 70's, but takes 6 months to go from one extreme to the other. I may opt to keep some in one place and some in the other to see what difference there is.

Oh, the horror of either option! However I am of the view that it's a whole lot less scientific than wine storage cabinet companies would have you believe.