TN: A couple of whites

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jan-Tore Egge

TN: A couple of whites

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Quinta do Ameal Loureiro 2008
Fresh scent of citrus and green apples, some wet stone and a hint of flowers. Not a heavy wine, of course, but has more weight and character than those basic Vinhos Verdes with 8 or 9 %. Fresh, crisp, attractive wine with good acidity. My ideal Loureiro-based wine.

Niepoort Redoma Branco 2005
I tasted this at a tasting in 2007 and described it as folows: "Lighly buttery, fresh, almost slaty on the nose, with citrus, too. Quite Burgundian — in the mouth, too. Stylish, Great acidity." Well, it must have developed faster than I expected. It now seemed to lack acidity and appeared to be almost off-dry. There is a hint of wet stone somewhere, but otherwise it seems almost tropical, like those hot-climate whites I love to hate. Disappointing. Isn't it meant to last?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: A couple of whites

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jan-Tore Egge wrote:
Niepoort Redoma Branco 2005
I tasted this at a tasting in 2007 and described it as folows: "Lighly buttery, fresh, almost slaty on the nose, with citrus, too. Quite Burgundian — in the mouth, too. Stylish, Great acidity." Well, it must have developed faster than I expected. It now seemed to lack acidity and appeared to be almost off-dry. There is a hint of wet stone somewhere, but otherwise it seems almost tropical, like those hot-climate whites I love to hate. Disappointing. Isn't it meant to last?
Not good to hear about this bottle not holding up. I know the Reserva was build to age nicely, but I don't know about this one. I've got a few of these stashed away to see how they would hold up with age, so I guess it's time to pull one and see if mine shows the same as yours did.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Wow... not good. Really sorry to hear about that Niepoort. I certainly would have expected a bit more.
-Dave-
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Jan-Tore Egge wrote: Isn't it meant to last?
Normally, yes. Haven't got the 2005 in a few years. The oldest I had was a 2000 tasted in 2007 and it was still fresh and lively.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Frederick Blais wrote:
Jan-Tore Egge wrote: Isn't it meant to last?
Normally, yes. Haven't got the 2005 in a few years. The oldest I had was a 2000 tasted in 2007 and it was still fresh and lively.
I may well be meant to, but I enjoy the regular Redoma Branco best when it's young. Maybe one or two years of age on it, but that's all. The Reserva is a different story.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Yes, I would expect the Reserva to be a different story. But I wasn't quite prepared for this.
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Incidentally, I tried another bottle of the Redoma Branco a couple of weeks ago, this time served a little colder than I normally do with whites. I don't know if that made the difference, but it came across as a much more attractive wine to me, the minerality being more apparent, with a nice stone character, good acidity and only a touch of that hot climate character in the fruit that I'm not so happy about.