Sandeman Tawnies

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Sandeman Tawnies

Post by Glenn E. »

My local QFC just brought in several old Sandeman tawnies and I wanted to check before buying any of them. I've had their 20-yr old before and am not all that fond of it (it's too bright and acidic for my taste), so if their 30y and 40y are similarly bright and acidic I'll probably pass.

They have the 20y at $40, the 30y at $60, and the 40y at $90. All three seem like really good prices to me. The 30y and 40y come in very nice wooden boxes with leather closures.

They also have a case (12) of the Kopke 10y at $14.95, but I don't need any of those. :-)

So... those of you who have had the Sandeman tawnies... are they all bright and acidic or is that mostly just a trait of the 20y?
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Re: Sandeman Tawnies

Post by Eric Menchen »

I received a bottle of the 40 year old as a birthday present when I turned ... yeah, you know. Anyway, it was a most wonderful tawny, tawny of the evening for most attendees as this tasting. I don't recall it being particularly bright or acidic, but I'm sorry to report that other events the day of that tasting prevented me from taking complete notes. I'll post a limited TN.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sandeman 20 is one of my favorites. Sure tastes older than 20. Lots of dried fruits and nuts, on the drier side. Highly recommended and that's a good price. I haven't had of the others. I do like Kopke tawny and that sounds like a deal too.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Wow, those are great prices and what we pay wholesale in Alaska! I've always liked the Sandeman 20 yr aged tawnies for their classier and brighter showing. I've only had the 40 yr once and remember it being really really nice...not on the acidic front from my recollection, and it had a really really long finish. I've been trying in vain to get our Sandeman distibutor to bring the 30 yr up for the wine bar and not sure why that hasn't been able to happen for the past few months.
Scott Anaya
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Scott Anaya wrote:Wow, those are great prices and what we pay wholesale in Alaska! I've always liked the Sandeman 20 yr aged tawnies for their classier and brighter showing.
I've bought the 20 Sandeman for $27.00 in NH... :-)
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like I might like the older ones if they're not as bright as the 20-year old, so next time I'm out I'll stop by and pick one up.

Thanks for the info!
Glenn Elliott
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Glenn et al.,

A case of Sandemans 30 yr finally arrived in Aaska and all I can say is wow wow wow. Port lovers and those (unfortunate) souls who can take it or leave it all have loved it so far. Really bright and a bit explosive on the initial pallate in a smooth round kinda way if you know what I mean. The finish lasts a LONG time and had me literally taking 1/2 sips of a small glass over the course of an hour- it's that good and i just wanted to savor it.... NOTE: I usually drink a tawny in fairly short order no matter how good. I have to rank this tawny in my top 3 I reckon. The boxed presentation is really snazzy too.

Scott
Scott Anaya
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I picked up one of the 40-year olds at the grocery store, but haven't opened it yet. I didn't quite finish the decanter of 2004 Quinta de la Rosa last night while watching the Oscars, but that should be gone tonight. Which means the Sandeman 40y is next up on the chopping block!

It turns out that those prices were wholesale here, too. The wine steward had been looking at the wrong column. :oops: She sold me that one bottle at her cost, though, since I'm a good customer and she'd already told me the price. But that means I don't know what the actual retail price will be!
Glenn Elliott