Niepoort VV - what is this

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Niepoort VV - what is this

Post by Andreas Platt »

I have seen these bottles once on ebay for sale and one picture in the FTLOP-database, but don't know anything about this Port.

Does anyone has any infos about this and is this drinkable and worth looking out for it?

I guess it's kind of a tawny, but may be completely wrong.

Thanks
Frederick Blais

Re: Niepoort VV - what is this

Post by Frederick Blais »

A friend of mine in Portugal did try it and said he really enjoyed it but he's not an expert so he can't comment more. From the look of the bottle on the photo, it looks an old bottling with wax seal. Probably something pre-60's. Joao Rico could probably say more about this :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I know some producers use the "V" to indicate it's an old wine. The more "V's" the older it is. I don't know if that is true of this one or not, but I'm shocked our resident Niepoort expert doesn't know. Fred, drop some emails and find out for us [help.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

ok email sent
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

Niepoort VV is a tawny (average age reputedly over 100 years) bottled I think by Dirk's grandfather. It sometimes comes up in auctions in Portugal with estimated prices of around 120 Euros.
Frederick Blais

Here is the answer I got from Niepoort :
Regarding VV
The VV is a very special portwine. It was a more than 60 years old tawny when the wine was bottled in the 70ies! The bottles should be stored lying down and decanted when you decide to open.
It is very rare and unusual to find it. It used to be considered by some journalists in the past the best nonvintage (or also so called multivintage) port .
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Frederick Blais wrote:Here is the answer I got from Niepoort :
Regarding VV
The VV is a very special portwine. It was a more than 60 years old tawny when the wine was bottled in the 70ies! The bottles should be stored lying down and decanted when you decide to open.
It is very rare and unusual to find it. It used to be considered by some journalists in the past the best nonvintage (or also so called multivintage) port .
Oh come on! Every Niepoort is a very special Port wine!

Joking aside, it sounds like something that all Niepoort lovers should try.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

David Spriggs wrote:Oh come on! Every Niepoort is a very special Port wine!
Perhaps to you and me, but this one is special even to them [cheers.gif]
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

The VV (Vinho Velho/Old Wine) is a Tawny, a really old one from the beginning of the 20th century.
Niepoort always did blends of Old Tawnies for some special bottlings and regarding some special moments.
I remember the Niepoort "3 Gerações" (3 Generations) witch is even older than the VV. If you find it (it's ultra rare) don't miss the oportunity cause this is amazing.

Some other special bootlings of Niepoort:

Niepoort Old Companion (It´s an old 20YO Tawny)
Niepoort Corôa (almost nobody knows but it is an old 30YO Tawny)

As for the VV, just open it, decant it and if the bottle was well kept, prepare yourself for a great port.

JR
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Thanks guys.....Just came across this thread, started just some 5 years ago by Andreas. You are All trying to nail the Niepoort VV. And with different level of succes....
Good to know, that Your skills has improved over the years [yahoo.gif]

I enjoyed the last post. I have a couple of Niepoort Coroa, and now I know they are 30 years old Tawnies

The VV still puzzels me.... I think I will open a bottle the 5. Of April, to celebrate....ME. I have 3 bottles from 1965, but I think the Niepoort VV will blow them All aside

You are All welcome to come over....

Allan