Any Burg lovers out there?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Any Burg lovers out there?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Any Burg lovers out there?

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've enjoyed some 2007 so far from Mugnier and Domaine de Chorey, if the price is right, it will be indeed a vintage I'll buy for early pleasure. The whites from Boillot I tasted so far were of great quality!

In less than 3 months, I'll have a dinner with Aubert de Villaine, can't wait!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I like Burg when it's done right, but gosh are they expensive. I don't buy them much as all to often it seems for every 20 bad ones there is one good one. Not worth the money-to-risk ratio so I rarely buy them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Andy Velebil wrote:I like Burg when it's done right, but gosh are they expensive. I don't buy them much as all to often it seems for every 20 bad ones there is one good one. Not worth the money-to-risk ratio so I rarely buy them.
Andy, this was exactly what I was saying 5 years ago. You can't just go and buy a Burgundy at the local shop and expect something good like you do for Douro or Napa. As for the 2 latter, you can always get something full of fruit and concentration, balance, greatness, not often, but never a very weak wine. For Burgundy, there is no wine region with such extreme in quality for regards of producers and vintage. Once you know when to buy and what to buy, its simple and rewarding! I don't think Burgundy is that expensive, but yes there is some expensive wines that are uninspiring! For less than Crasto top wines you can get better stuff in Burgundy for example. It is always a question of priority.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm sure I would love a good Burgandy, but the fact is I don't know enough to buy any. I know a few big names that I generally can't afford, and nothing beyond that. I'll stick with Port, dabble in CdP and Rhones, and after that go California and South America. I don't know South America particularly well either, but the stakes aren't big so it can be fun.
Frederick Blais

Give me a budget and a wine store, I'll be more than happy to recommend a great Burgundy! Don't waste your time in new world wine [help.gif]
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

I have to agree with Frederick. In the hands of a great producer, there is not much better than red Burgundy. And Mugnier is one of the best. Give his Chambolle villages a try, and there will be no going back! :twocents:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Frederick Blais wrote:Give me a budget and a wine store, I'll be more than happy to recommend a great Burgundy! Don't waste your time in new world wine [help.gif]
I might take you up on that some time Frederick. If I need (hee hee) to fill out a case for shipping I might point you to a listing for recommendations.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I adore Burgundy, one of my favorite red's. [notworthy.gif] :yumyum:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frederick Blais wrote:Don't waste your time in new world wine [help.gif]
[friends.gif] Amen! :salute: :scholar:
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

I have to agree with Frederick. In the hands of a great producer, there is not much better than red Burgundy. And Mugnier is one of the best. Give his Chambolle villages a try, and there will be no going back!
I'm in love with burgundy wines. In May there i will go for one whole week. Just can't wait.
I love Mugnier and tasted all 2007 from him. I liked more the Chambolle "Les Fueés", right now, than the Musigny.

JR
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

João Rico wrote:
I have to agree with Frederick. In the hands of a great producer, there is not much better than red Burgundy. And Mugnier is one of the best. Give his Chambolle villages a try, and there will be no going back!
I'm in love with burgundy wines. In May there i will go for one whole week. Just can't wait.
I love Mugnier and tasted all 2007 from him. I liked more the Chambolle "Les Fueés", right now, than the Musigny.

JR
I loved the 2007 Mugnier Chambolle Les Fuees also, and bought 4 bottles. :D

The Musigny will certainly be a better wine over the long run; it is one of the greatest wines in all of Burgundy in my opinion, but you pay dearly for the honor.

JR, have a great trip to Burgundy. I HIGHLY recommend the restaurant Ma Cuisine in Beaune. It is only open 4 days per week, and you will need a reservation.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Frederick Blais wrote:Give me a budget and a wine store, I'll be more than happy to recommend a great Burgundy! Don't waste your time in new world wine [help.gif]
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/knights ... index.html
Any great Burgundy there under $50/bottle? I've bought Port from them before, and right now they have a single bottle I purchased a few weeks ago. I was going to fill out a 6'er for shipping. At the moment I was considering Port: 1992 Cockburn Quinta dos Canais, 1994 Romariz, 1997 Quinta do Vale Dona Maria and to a lesser extent 1995 Quinta do Noval Silval, 1997 Graham, 2001 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port Quinta de Roriz, and 2003 Croft. But none of those must be purchased and I could substitute some Burgundy. Or maybe if the stock market keeps going up, I could get a full case.
Frederick Blais

Eric Menchen wrote:
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/knights ... index.html
Any great Burgundy there under $50/bottle? I've bought Port from them before, and right now they have a single bottle I purchased a few weeks ago. I was going to fill out a 6'er for shipping. At the moment I was considering Port: 1992 Cockburn Quinta dos Canais, 1994 Romariz, 1997 Quinta do Vale Dona Maria and to a lesser extent 1995 Quinta do Noval Silval, 1997 Graham, 2001 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port Quinta de Roriz, and 2003 Croft. But none of those must be purchased and I could substitute some Burgundy. Or maybe if the stock market keeps going up, I could get a full case.
Here's what I'd be tempted for with comments, ordered by price :

2000 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges Clos des Porrets Saint Georges : Gouge is normally making highly extracted and hard tannins wine. In years like 2000 where we get approchable and aromatic wines, It could be interesting at 10 years of age to get his wine. Expect ripe fruits, finely grained tannins, still good structure. Some say Gouges wine never evolves though.

2005 Domaine Dugat Py Bourgogne Rouge The entry level wine but from a top notch wine maker! His wine are highly concentrated(for burgundy) with a good dose of new wood. Expect velvety tannins, sweet and ripe fruit, presence of oakly flavours, tannins quite present but the overall balance is the components should be flawless.

2005 Domaine du Chateau de Chorey Beaune Les Teurons
Burgundy in a Cote-Rotie style! This producer always surprise me with a style no one can immitate in Burgundy, still very expressive with great complexity but in 2005, 3 of his wines I've tasted blind were thought to be Cote Rotie or Rhone style with the lavander, meaty, mineral style of these wines. Great glyceryn texture for burgundy still the finesse remains.

2007 Domaine Claude Dugat Bourgogne Rouge I've never been able to taste Claude Dugat. He's the cousin from Dugat py domaine, but more highly regarded. 2007 is an easy to drink year. Ripe and aromatic, no great depth in the wines but pleasure today!

2006 Domaine Claude Dugat Bourgogne Rouge Same as above but in 2006, a little more serious and classic year, dusty tannins, lots of aromatics. Some are starting to shut, but I'd say that the entry wine would remain sound to drink today.

2002 Alain Burguet Gevrey Chambertin En Reniard A producer that works with fruit purity and aromtics before giving into concentration, I never tasted this cuvée but any other wines I had from him where just great!

2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Fixin
Another mythic producer I've never been able to taste yet. He's known to take over some of the Henri-Jayer vineyards. Some of his simple wines are known to be the top of their communes. Expect purity and fruit concentration.

2005 Joseph Faiveley Mercurey Clos des Myglands I had this from Magnum and WOW! for the price, it is one of the best QPR Burgundy wine I've tasted. Faveley is known for its earthy rustic style of wine, but in 2005 a layer of ripe field berry fruits is added to its wine making them some of the most sought after of the vintage.

2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne Rouge same as above.
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

JR, have a great trip to Burgundy. I HIGHLY recommend the restaurant Ma Cuisine in Beaune. It is only open 4 days per week, and you will need a reservation.
Thanks for the recomendation. I will go there for sure as i will be based in Beaune during the trip.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thank-you so much Fred. Your descriptions will help narrow it down to which ones. Now it is just a matter of figuring out how many. I also need to do a little price shopping. Some of those this shop has at very competitive prices. A few can be found elsewhere for less.
Dylan Howard

Post by Dylan Howard »

Frederick Blais wrote:Here's what I'd be tempted for with comments, ordered by price :

2000 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges Clos des Porrets Saint Georges : Gouge is normally making highly extracted and hard tannins wine. In years like 2000 where we get approchable and aromatic wines, It could be interesting at 10 years of age to get his wine. Expect ripe fruits, finely grained tannins, still good structure. Some say Gouges wine never evolves though.

2005 Domaine Dugat Py Bourgogne Rouge The entry level wine but from a top notch wine maker! His wine are highly concentrated(for burgundy) with a good dose of new wood. Expect velvety tannins, sweet and ripe fruit, presence of oakly flavours, tannins quite present but the overall balance is the components should be flawless.

2005 Domaine du Chateau de Chorey Beaune Les Teurons
Burgundy in a Cote-Rotie style! This producer always surprise me with a style no one can immitate in Burgundy, still very expressive with great complexity but in 2005, 3 of his wines I've tasted blind were thought to be Cote Rotie or Rhone style with the lavander, meaty, mineral style of these wines. Great glyceryn texture for burgundy still the finesse remains.

2007 Domaine Claude Dugat Bourgogne Rouge I've never been able to taste Claude Dugat. He's the cousin from Dugat py domaine, but more highly regarded. 2007 is an easy to drink year. Ripe and aromatic, no great depth in the wines but pleasure today!

2006 Domaine Claude Dugat Bourgogne Rouge Same as above but in 2006, a little more serious and classic year, dusty tannins, lots of aromatics. Some are starting to shut, but I'd say that the entry wine would remain sound to drink today.

2002 Alain Burguet Gevrey Chambertin En Reniard A producer that works with fruit purity and aromtics before giving into concentration, I never tasted this cuvée but any other wines I had from him where just great!

2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Fixin
Another mythic producer I've never been able to taste yet. He's known to take over some of the Henri-Jayer vineyards. Some of his simple wines are known to be the top of their communes. Expect purity and fruit concentration.

2005 Joseph Faiveley Mercurey Clos des Myglands I had this from Magnum and WOW! for the price, it is one of the best QPR Burgundy wine I've tasted. Faveley is known for its earthy rustic style of wine, but in 2005 a layer of ripe field berry fruits is added to its wine making them some of the most sought after of the vintage.

2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne Rouge same as above.

And the credit card comes out, yet again. I love Burgs, my wife and I travelled to Burgundy a year ago, and we tasted, tasted, tasted and tasted some more. Wish I'd know more about the different producers then, but that's always the case with me. The great experience creates the learning bug, not the other way around. Thanks for the info!

dylan
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Frederick, I ordered some 2004 and 2005 Domaine Dugat Py Bourgogne Rouge from Knightsbridge. I'll buy the 2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne Rouge from another merchant that I regularly order from. After that the Joseph Faiveley sounds interesting.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote:Frederick, I ordered some 2004 and 2005 Domaine Dugat Py Bourgogne Rouge from Knightsbridge. I'll buy the 2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne Rouge from another merchant that I regularly order from. After that the Joseph Faiveley sounds interesting.
Dugat Py and Faiveley are big names, not familiar with Meo-Camuzet. [help.gif]
Frederick Blais

Eric Menchen wrote:Frederick, I ordered some 2004 and 2005 Domaine Dugat Py Bourgogne Rouge from Knightsbridge. I'll buy the 2006 Domaine Meo-Camuzet/Maison Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne Rouge from another merchant that I regularly order from. After that the Joseph Faiveley sounds interesting.
careful with 2004.... they're not always very good.... rare are the good wines imo.