TN: 2007 Niepoort Douro Vertente

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2007 Niepoort Douro Vertente

Post by Andy Velebil »

• 2007 Niepoort Douro Vertente - Portugal, Douro (4/12/2010)
    Tart berries but not ripe berries on the nose. The soft fruit is quite well balanced with graphite, minerality (almost shale like), and a lot of tannins. The acidity keeps this quite fresh and helps to maintain a constant texture across the palate. A very enjoyable bottle, and at $22.00 a pretty good deal for a Douro wine. This is ready to drink now but should hold for another 2-3 years. 89 points (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Pedro Guimaraes

Re: TN: 2007 Niepoort Douro Vertente

Post by Pedro Guimaraes »

I was also impressed with the 2007 Vertente, IMO the best ever....so well made!!!!!!

Did you tried the 2007 Batuta? I'm going to Portugal next week and im trying to prepare a shortlist....strangely 2007 Batuta hasn't been getting that much attention....not as good as 2004 or 2005?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Pedro Guimaraes wrote:
Did you tried the 2007 Batuta? I'm going to Portugal next week and im trying to prepare a shortlist....strangely 2007 Batuta hasn't been getting that much attention....not as good as 2004 or 2005?
Yes, and I think the 2007 Batuta is an excellent Douro wine that will stand along side or maybe in time best the wonderful 2004. A very well made wine and one to keep an eye out for.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Andy, do you have a TN of the Batuta lying around somewhere? Would be fun to compare it to my own impressions of a couple of months ago.

i was quite surprised to see that the Batuta 07 got relatively low scores of both Squires and Kim Marcus (Wine Spectator)... although I must say that I'm not particularly fond of both tasters. I thought it was a beautiful wine, and I wouldn't mind having a case of it.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald,
Yes I'll try and post it later tonight.