2003 Macedos

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

2003 Macedos

Post by Derek T. »

Kindly gifted to me by the producer, Paul Reynolds, when I visited the quinta in 2008.

Inky purple with a huge fruity nose that filled the room as I decanted. A big chewy mouthful of blackcurrant jam with an enormous burst of powder-dry tannins which coat the teeth and palate instantly. Red fruits begin to come through in the finish, which is long and powerful. This wine has a good structure but at the tannins are somewhat overwhelming at this age.

I decanted this bottle about one hour ago, which I think was perhaps ten years and one hour too soon :roll:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2003 Macedos

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek drinking lots of Douro wines all of a sudden..the world has come to an end [friends.gif] :lol:

Although we had a short early morning visit with Paul last year, I was bummed not have gotten a chance to taste his wines. I've heard they are quite good and these notes reinforce that. I do need to try and visit with him next time I'm in the Douro.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Derek drinking lots of Douro wines all of a sudden..the world has come to an end [friends.gif] :lol:
The Douro wines are taking up too much space in my Port fridge :evil:

But this one makes me wonder if this is what great "natural" Port was like before some idiot decided to chuck brandy in it :wink:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sounds like a monster of wine. That is a common last name in SE Mass.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Sounds like a monster of wine.
It is. Macedos is deep in the Rio Torto valley where it is very dry and extremely hot. This wine is made from very old field blend vines using totally natural methods. Not only is this a monster of a wine it is also produced by a very nice guy :wink: