40 Year Old Tawny Port by Feist

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lars F

40 Year Old Tawny Port by Feist

Post by Lars F »

I bought this bottle recently at a reasonal price in a local store. I considered it a bit of a gamble since it was bottled in 1985 and although I know that bottle aged tawnies have been a subject in this forum, it wasn't sure if it could withstand 25 years in the bottle. The cork had seeped almost all the way through and crumbled a bit when it was pulled, but not too bad.
We had the bottle outside which I think seems to reduce the impression of wine in general a bit. Anyone else experience this?

The color was really fantastic. Crystal clear with no signs of cloudines and with a beautiful amber color. The nose had a pleasant amount of alcohol, which might have mellowed out a bit if we had given it some time to settle (which we didn't). Heavy wood in the nose and a bit of sharp acidity when it hit the palate at first. Medium long finish.

A very good bottle which I really liked.

-Lars
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Re: NV Feist over 40 years old tawny

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Lars,

I have tried this tawny and agree ... it is quite nice ... Though my bottling was quite a bit more recent than yours.

I have also had their 30 year tawny, which is also very enjoyable and I would recommend if you ever get an opportunity to try.

-- Gary