If they loved 1997 Q. do Passdouro, I should suggest that they buy . . .

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

If they loved 1997 Q. do Passdouro, I should suggest that they buy . . .

Post by Jay Hack »

On Friday night, I served 1997 Quinta do Passadouro for desert to a group of lawyers at the closing dinner of the New York State Bar Association Business Law Section Meeting. Double decanted about 4 hours before serving. People loved it. A number said it was the greatest port they had ever had, but that it probably mostly a commentary on its supoeriority to 10 year old tawnies. A number of people asked me where they could buy iot because they wanted some for home. I got six bottles at the Acker Merrall auction in September but there is very little of it around because it is much less well known and much less popular than the big guys. Especially in Buffalo, where one of the guys lives who really wants to buy more. So what should I suggest that he buy instead? I will post a formal not later, but for now I fiound the wine to be elegant and delicate compared to a lot of other VPs, making it very easy to drink, with no harsh characteristics. In the same vintage, without breaking the bank, I've found the Smith Woodhouse and the Royal Oporto 1997s near his office. Obviously, I can point him to the 1977 Fonseca or worse, but I'm trying to ease him in without price shock. Any thoughts?
Thanks Roy
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: If they loved 1997 Q. do Passdouro, I should suggest that they buy . . .

Post by Glenn E. »

If there's Smith Woodhouse available in the area, then that's probably a great place to start. Smith Woodhouse is a very underrated brand that produces consistently high quality Ports. Their 1985, 1994, and 2003 are all excellent so I would expect their 1997 to be similarly good.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Burke's in NJ has it for $42. (link here)
If someone really liked it, I've seen magnums of this listed before for a reasonable price, like $80:
http://www.brownderby.com/wineproduct.php?pf_id=65965
http://www.whwc.com/p/21468
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

I have been a big fan of the 1997 Smith Woodhouse for a while now - scroll down to near the bottom of the thread below for my review.

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... f=7&t=9756

Glad to hear the Passadouro is drinking well - I've seen some near me at a very reasonable price that I might pick up for a couple of events over christmas where it would be nice to take something more than lbv.
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

I got the Passadouro for $30/btl all in including tax and premium at the Acker Merrall auction. I bought it completely blind, knowing nothing about it, because I was outbid on what I really wanted. Not a good auction strategy, but it worked very well. It is an outstanding wine that I would rate 91 on what I consider a strict scale. Moderatley light and elegant with plenty of flavor and light acidity. I have some left from the botles I decanted and I will drink it over the next few days, with a chronological tasting note to follow.
Thanks Roy
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

as others mentioned the '97 SW is a nice bottle and shouldn't break the bank. There are many 1997's at good prices as they often are overlooked in favor of the 1994 and 2000's. So any of the bigger names in 1997 should provide him with at least an even, or better, experience.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com