What Port(s) will you be opening this Xmas?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Claus R

What Port(s) will you be opening this Xmas?

Post by Claus R »

Hi,

First Merry Xmas to all @ :ftlop:

I was wondering what Port(s) you will be opening (and why) to celebrate this holiday season and who you will be sharing with

Since I'm fairly new to Port (mentioned this a couple of times elsewhere, sorry :oops:) and still need to broaden my horizon I'm thinking:

Warre's Vintage 1970 - this is going to be my first old vintage port
Calem Vintage 1985 (had one 1½ ago- very good)
Quita Do Tedo Vintage 1997 (my first single quinta)
...and maybe a Hutcheson Vintage 2000 (some power taste here - for drinking with food, I think)

On the 24th I'm sharing with my girlfriend and parents and on the 25th with some friends

Again, thanks for a great forum on which I've already read and learned so much :thumbsup:

Holiday Greetings / Merry Xmas from Denmark,
Claus
dom carter

Re: What Port(s) will you be opening this Xmas?

Post by dom carter »

Grahams 1997 VP
Quinta de la Rosa 2007 VP
Dows 1998 Bowfim VP
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I haven't decided yet... but it will be one of the following (listed in my current order of preference):

Sandeman 30 Year Old
S. Leonardo 30 Year Old
Kopke 40 Year Old
Noval 40 Year Old

Which one would you open given that selection? And no, Derek, "one of each" isn't a valid answer. :Naughty:
Glenn Elliott
scott traynor

Post by scott traynor »

This is my annual dillema ! Every year I supply a bottle of vintage port for Christmas Eve dinner at my brothers. Much care goes into the choice, opening, straining, decanting and enjoying these treasures! This year I narrowed my choice to either the 1963 Warre's or the 1966 Warre's. Any suggestions?
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

First of all, happy holidays to all of the Port- and winelovers all over this lovely globe [friends.gif] !!

This Christmas I'll be opening the following ports:

- Dec. 25th (at my inlaws, with sister in law and partner) I will be (generously as it's the time for sharing [cheers.gif] ) donating a bottle of Romaneira over 40-year old Tawny.

- Dec 26th (over here in the Netherlands we celebrate two X-mas days), I will be at home with just my wife and my two sons, and then I will be (hopefully) enjoying one of my 2 bottles Q. da Roeda 1983 VP.

Does anyone know this VP from Roeda, and how was it? I've never had it before, and I don't remember ever seeing a TN of it. Also suggestions on Decanting time are appreciated!

Best wishes and [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

scott traynor wrote:This is my annual dillema ! Every year I supply a bottle of vintage port for Christmas Eve dinner at my brothers. Much care goes into the choice, opening, straining, decanting and enjoying these treasures! This year I narrowed my choice to either the 1963 Warre's or the 1966 Warre's. Any suggestions?
Scott,

First let me welcome you to the forum [welcome.gif] . As to which one, a tough call as they are both nice Ports, so I'll say both! No better time to compare two bottles side by side than with family. [cheers.gif]

Now I've got to go figure out what I am going to open tomorrow.....
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

scott traynor wrote:This is my annual dillema ! Every year I supply a bottle of vintage port for Christmas Eve dinner at my brothers. Much care goes into the choice, opening, straining, decanting and enjoying these treasures! This year I narrowed my choice to either the 1963 Warre's or the 1966 Warre's. Any suggestions?
I'm not much of a Warre's drinker, but if forced to choose between those two I'd probably open the '63. My reasoning is that while both years are great, some people are starting to say that the '63s are reaching their peak (or even starting to decline) while the '66s are still going strong. Ergo, drink the '63 while it's at its peak.

This may or may not be true of Warres in particular, but it's as good of an excuse as any!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Not going crazy, probably just a 2005 Dow LBV; just bought a case at Costco.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Portal 20 yo and some Madeira.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I opend 66 Warre for the first day of Christmas. 63 Graham for the second day of Christmas, Dec 26, Boxing Day.
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I didn't open anything new on Christmas day, but I did have the left overs of a 1976 Niepoort Colheita which was very jummy.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

For the Christmas holiday I opened a bottle of 1991 Cockburn and was pleasantly surprised. It was very nice indeed. Now what to open for New Year's.......
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Just before Christmas I opened a bottle of Graham 1963 and Noval 1955 to share with a friend who stayed overnight with us. Over Christmas I opened a bottle of Dow's Midnight and a bottle of Dow 1958. For New Year it was a bottle of Cockburn's Special Reserve - bottled about 30 years ago!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Warre 1977. A lovely bottle that was still quite youthful, very harmonious and elegant. It was a real treat. 8--)
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo