NEW YEARS EVE PORTS and other wines ...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

João Rico

Re: NEW YEARS EVE PORTS and other wines ...

Post by João Rico »

The Reds:

Mouchão 1992
Mouchão 1993
José Rosado Fernandes Tinto Velho 1958

All them were really good. The Mouchão were still young with loads of time in front of them. The Tinto Velho 1958 was just fantastic, no oxidation whatsoever, great lenght and savor.

White:

Domaine Raveneau Butteaux 2007. Simply delicious.

Ended with fortified:

Dow's Vintage 1977. Didn't hold up with decanting. Thin and short. Lots of variation i've with this wine. This bottle wasn't kept well as the cork was in a mess

Quinta do Junco VVV (1927), bottled 1947. Not as good as other i've drun ked. A Shame.

Francisco Manuel Albuquerque (FMA) Bual 1964. Delicious wine. Everything was great in this great Madeira. It's a private wine from Francisco, the winemaker at Madeira Wine Company. Great way of ending.

We tried to go on with a Barca Velha 1966 and a Ferreirinha Reserva Especial 1977, but these bottles were simply dead. It's Life!!

A great year for all you guys,

JR
Claus R

Post by Claus R »

Russ Kimmitt wrote:here is the list: oh my....

Opened the night off with a crown rocks, standard fair for me, at cocktail hour.
With dinner (lobster tails, morrocan chicken stew, and veggies) we had a Moscato D'Asti, sweetness did well against the spicy / salty olive Morrocan Stew
After dinner, 2000 Niepoort Secundum (tasting notes posted)
After that, se got into the high end liquor in the cellar...small tastes
15 Year Bowmore Darkest
18 yr Jameson Irish
12 yr Glenmorangie D'Or
12 Yr Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Crown Royal Black
Crown Royal Cask 16
Goslings Old Rum
14 yr Oban
Finally, we had 2004 Tugwell Creek Meadery Wassail Gold. Beautiful sweet dessert mead.
[yahoo.gif] [kez_11.gif]
Nice to see another whisky drinker on this forum :thumbsup:

Regards,
Claus
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

We spent new year's eve on a beach in northern Oman, where we drank a bottle of Taylor's 10YOT that we had to smuggle over the border to the Emirates and back into Oman (it's quite complicated to reach that part of the country... :roll: ). We shared the beach (but not the port!) with many Omani's who had nothing to celebrate but were nevertheless partying like it was 1999. Quite bizar, but fun.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I opened a 1985 Graham Vintage Port which was fabulous. For the toast we opened a La Marca Extra Dry Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene, which was on one of the "top 100" lists... Wine Spectator's, I think? Regardless, it was very nice also.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

All I opened New Year's Eve was a bottle of Baron Chirel 2003 Rioja and had one glass. After that, it was soft drinks for 3 hours. :(

But, on the other hand, I finished sorting out my target list of 78 bottles of port for opening in 2011. It's always fun drawing up the list, even though I know that I'll probably open less than half of what's written down at the start of the year - but at least I know what to move to the front of the storage cabinet.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

So after you finish those 78 bottles, what are you going to have from March through the end of the year? [d_training.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:So after you finish those 78 bottles, what are you going to have from March through the end of the year? [d_training.gif]
Andy's house. He offered to share the 6 bottles of Vesuvio 1994 he's just bought...