Now I got a case of VP, then what?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Joe Chan

Now I got a case of VP, then what?

Post by Joe Chan »

My first case of VP is the 2000 Niepoort. It comes in a wooden box. Should I open it up and check it out? Store it in the box? What else should I do with it?
Russ K

Re: Now I got a case of VP, then what?

Post by Russ K »

wow, your starting big. Thats a pretty big wine that going to need some more years IMO...but its a good thing you have ten yrs in already.
Storing in the box is fine (as long as the bottles are on their side.)
I would open it just to see you got what you paid for....other than that, cool place, humidity above 50% but ideally 70% (not over 80%) and wait. Since you have a dozen, doesn't hurt to pop one and see what you think! :winepour:

I have one 2000 Niepoort left, and two of the Secundums....may I ask where you got it? Decently hard to find Niepoort in the US IMO....
Joe Chan

Post by Joe Chan »

A case is 6, not 12. Part of them are for the kids anyway.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

If you feel inclined, open the case up. Be careful with the staples/nails to not break the case. If you do open it up, make sure the bottles are aligned nice and neat when putting them back. If there's a leaker, you may consider drinking it now. Generally, I do not open any OWC's I have if I intend to store it. I could have cases of leakers and have no idea, but I'll take the risk.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

I see, a wooden box of six...I misread that... I wouldn't call that a case though...maybe its the canadian in me but a "case" is 12 even. [dash1.gif]
Either way, I would open it just to verify the contents, and thats it, stick it somewhere safe.
The case is only really valuable if you keep the six bottles in them. Sometimes you can get some dough for the wooden boxes, but I wouldn't stress about it. They do add value if you decide not to drink the bottles tho...
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Russ Kimmitt wrote:I wouldn't call that a case though...
I wouldn't either - that's a 6-pack to me. Some of them are very nice. I also have a couple of OWC cases, but none of those are nearly as nice as the Vesuvio 6-packs.
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I have bought a case of Taylor 92 that had six bottles--magnums!
Is it possibly a case of magnums?
Richard Henderson
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Richard Henderson wrote:I have bought a case of Taylor 92 that had six bottles--magnums!
Is it possibly a case of magnums?
Yes, magnums come in a case of 6.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While a "traditional" case of 750ml bottles is 12, that isn't always the case now days. Many producers' cases are 6-packs, or in some cases 3-packs. It's confusing as all heck as they'll refer to their product as a "case" when it has less than 12 bottles.

Then it gets more confusing because magnums are typically "cases" of 6 bottles, not 12.

Always ask for clarification on what a retailer or producer is refering to when they mention a "case of ...." :scholar:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I think in 10 to 15 years time there will be virtually no producers selling VP in cases of 12. Most of the big boys already sell 6-packs and I think that will become the new standard case in the not too distant future.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I think in 10 to 15 years time there will be virtually no producers selling VP in cases of 12. Most of the big boys already sell 6-packs and I think that will become the new standard case in the not too distant future.
It's certainly going that way, and I'm personally not too sorry - carrying cases of twelve down the cellar stairs is not my favourite job..

But I do wish the port producers would exercise some consistancy with their packaging - claret comes in standard size cases that remarkably space efficient, practical to handle, and easy to stack; with their name brands almost always on the end of the case.

Meanwhile port comes in whole raft of different packaging, some of it very space inefficient; that is almost impossible to stack tidily, and may be name branded on the end, side or even the top - a storage nightmare!

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:
It's certainly going that way, and I'm personally not too sorry - carrying cases of twelve down the cellar stairs is not my favourite job..

But I do wish the port producers would exercise some consistancy with their packaging - claret comes in standard size cases that remarkably space efficient, practical to handle, and easy to stack; with their name brands almost always on the end of the case.

Meanwhile port comes in whole raft of different packaging, some of it very space inefficient; that is almost impossible to stack tidily, and may be name branded on the end, side or even the top - a storage nightmare!

Tom
Tom,
[notworthy.gif] Totally agree, I've got cases of VP that come in all shapes and sizes of wood boxes. I can't figure out why one wood case is about 20% larger than another and the bottle shape is basically identical for both. Makes trying to store them in their OWC a total nightmare and I've had to repack many of them into cardboard at my offsite as the wood takes up way to much space.

The newer 6-pack wood cases are far more consistant, easier to handle, and seem to utilize storage space better. So I have no issues with switching over to more of these types, and my back is also greatful!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tom Archer wrote:Meanwhile port comes in whole raft of different packaging, some of it very space inefficient; that is almost impossible to stack tidily, and may be name branded on the end, side or even the top - a storage nightmare!
You made me check an OWC in my basement, 2007 Grahams. It is completely labeled on the two sides. One end says 2007 Vintage Port, without a brand, and the other end has a coded sticker with little meaning. The top has a weight and some other language, but nothing to indicate the contents. Oh well. I thought it was cool to have when I picked it up at a local b&m. I didn't buy the Grahams, but convinced them to give me the empty OWC with all the other bottles I had purchased.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The newer 6-pack wood cases are far more consistant, easier to handle, and seem to utilize storage space better. So I have no issues with switching over to more of these types, and my back is also greatful!
But even with those there are two formats in common use - one with a rectangular footprint and the other nearly square..

And then there's Vesuvio..

..lovely wine, but just how many little books and pottery bin tags does one need??

I dread to think how much the Symingtons pay for that packaging, and it takes up far too much space relative to the amount contained within. I've long since run out of uses for those boxes, as have my friends..

It's high time we had the option to buy Vesuvio in regular cases IMO...

Tom
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote:I dread to think how much the Symingtons pay for that packaging, and it takes up far too much space relative to the amount contained within. I've long since run out of uses for those boxes, as have my friends..

I'd like to see the Symningtons use the same packaging and put together one of each bottle of any particular vintage. A foot locker of all their 2007's for instance. If there's space still available, throw in a unique colheita.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:
And then there's Vesuvio..

..lovely wine, but just how many little books and pottery bin tags does one need??

I dread to think how much the Symingtons pay for that packaging, and it takes up far too much space relative to the amount contained within. I've long since run out of uses for those boxes, as have my friends..

Tom
Now Now, don't even think of asking for these little beauties to stop being made or suffer the wrath of an English gentleman who won't be so gentle :beat:

Oh and send those empty Vesuvio foot lockers to me, I need about 3-4 more empty ones for a project.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'll take empty Vesuvio foot lockers too! I'll even put Vesuvio in them. I understand the arguments against, but I really like them. I like being able to open them to admire the bottles and smell the leather of the strap, as opposed to regular cases which have to be unstapled to open.