Decanting time?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve H.

Decanting time?

Post by Steve H. »

Hello All,

I am headed to the Oregon Beach during Spring Break, I will be taking along a 1980 Graham's VP to share with some family that have never tried Port. Because of this, I want their first impression to be the best it can be. So the question is, how long should I decant this particular VP before serving it?

Thanks,

Steve
"The purpose of an open mind is to shut it on something True." G.K. Chesterton

Roy's TN on the '80 Graham

Post by Guest »

Here is Roy's Tasting Note on the 1980 Graham from the Tasting Notes section of the FTLOP website.

Stewart
1980 - Graham Vintage Port : Decanted for 7 hours. Initially this Port showed medium ruby with a youthful appearance on the edge. It darkened considerably and rather quickly in decanter. Overt and spicy aromas of clove and cinnamon, give way to ripe figs. This is much better than I remember it being and I tasted this in the past year. This is the best bottle of the Graham's 1980 I have tasted. It is by no means near its peak and is a strong rival to it's cousin Dow, from the same vintage. It brings lots of drinking pleasure now, but will be at its mature best with five and preferably ten more years in the cellar. The alcohol which appeared in the early going, blew off in due course from the nose, and mostly integrated on the palate within the first two hours of decanting. This shows great succulent and sweet plum and ripe blackberry flavors. It is as smooth and texturally pleasing as one could ask for from a 24 year old VP. The tannins dance at the party but don't stand out in the crowd. I really liked the way this Port finishes, not just your typical long finish ... but memorable, very sweet and refined nuances capture the moment. I am so glad that the Wine Spectator and other journalists missed the mark with this unheralded vintage, as bargains like this VP, abound. 93
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Steve

I posted a tasting note on the Graham's 1980 a few months back (you'll find it if you search for TN: Grahams 1980).

Believe it or not, it was 48 hours between decanting this and my tasting it! And when I tasted it, it was superb.

Alex
Doug Zdanivsky

Post by Doug Zdanivsky »

Yup..

2 days is what I prefer to wait till Port hits it's sweet spot..