TN: 5TH ANNUAL GRAND TASTING OF PORTUGUESE WINES

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 5TH ANNUAL GRAND TASTING OF PORTUGUESE WINES

Post by Richard Jennings »

5TH ANNUAL GRAND TASTING OF PORTUGUESE WINES - One Leidesdorff Building, San Francisco, California (4/6/2011)

This was my second time attending this event, and I was surprised that very few of the producers who attended the prior year were on hand this year. Instead, a whole new array of producers were represented, a number of whom are looking for distributors. There were also relatively few port producers represented this year as compared to last, possibly because there were very few '08 vintage ports to show this year, as compared to the large number of '07 vintage ports present in 2010.

In general, as was the case last year with a different set of producers, I found a great number of terrific values in dry wines from Portugal, with retail prices as low as $5 to $10 for some fairly well made and adequate drinkers. I also found a significantly higher number of wines meriting 90 or more points than I did last year. This year, of the 53 producers whose wines I tried, 22 of them produced at least one wine that I rated 90 points or higher. I think this was partly because I'm more knowledgeable at this point about Portuguese wines and producers, especially after my visit there last year with Roy Hersh, so my methodology for selecting producers whose wines to taste improved this year. But I think the higher quality level amongst wines I tasted this year is also attributable to the continuing rise in quality level of dry Portuguese wines made with an eye toward the export market.

A treat at this event for me was some of the Portuguese winemaking personalities in attendance. I got to meet Cristiano van Zeller, pictured below. He's the former manager and co-owner of Quinta do Noval, through 1993, and current owner, with his wife, of Quinta do Vale Dona Maria and Lemos & Van Zeller. I also met two other major characters that I hadn't heard of before: Luis Pato (pictured below) who makes some excellent sparkling wine, as well as dry reds; and Carlos Campolargo of Campolargo, who is making some very interesting whites and reds, including an unexpected 100% Petit Verdot bottling, called Diga?. This tasting also introduced me to the terrific wines of Herdade de Malhadinha Nova, pictured at the top of this post, and below with the tasting notes. For me, theirs were, along with the Ferreira/Casa Ferreirinha wines that I was already familiar with, the best lineup of wines in this tasting.

There are an intimidating number of wines to taste at this event, and there's always the palate fatigue factor of going from vinho verdes to big reds to ports and back again. Nonetheless, I managed to taste a total of 162 wines this year. The best vinho verde for me was Quinta da Lixa's Espadeiro, which I rated 90+ points. Quinta da Lixa makes other very good vinho verdes, but I was drawn to this relatively unusual ros� version. The best dry white was the 2009 Quinta de Sant'Ana, made from Fern�o Pires, which I rated 91+ points. The best sparkling wine for me was Luis Pato's Baga Espumante Quinta do Moinho, which I rated 91 points. The best ros� for me was Casca's intense and tasty Fern�o Pires Monte Cascas, which I gave 91 points. The best of the dry reds and Ports at this event, which I rated 92 points or higher, are as follows:

Best Dry Reds
2007 Casa Ferreirinha Douro Quinta da Leda - 92+ points
2008 J. & F. Lurton Douro Quinta do Malh� - 93 points
2007 Herdade da Malhadinha Nova Alentejo Marias da Malhadinha - 93 points
2008 Herdade da Malhadinha Nova Alentejo - 92 points
2008 Herdade da Malhadinha Nova Alentejo Pequeno Jo�o - 93 points
2008 Quinta Beira Douro - 92+ points

Best Ports
N.V. Ferreira Porto Tawny 10 Year Quinta do Porto - 92 points
N.V. Ferreira Porto Duque de Bragan�a 20 Year Old Tawny - 93 points
2007 Ferreira Porto Vintage - 93+ points
2009 Quinta do Vale Dona Maria Porto Vintage - cask sample rated 92-94 points
N.V. Vallegre Porto over 40 years Old Port Vista Alegre - 93 points

For my detailed tasting notes, as well as a few additional comments on some particular producers, see the complete post on my blog: http://www.rjonwine.com/port/5th-grand- ... ese-wines/

This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.