Boston Bruins

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Boston Bruins

Post by Roy Hersh »

Some correct predictions ... first goal decides the winner and hoping for a cleanly played, physical game. But far more bad calls on my part. Luongo, I'll get to in a moment. Thomas too. Thinking that Vancouver would dominate the way that they have on home ice the three previous games up there was obviously way off base; and that says a lot about Boston's effort. [notworthy.gif]

Well, I'm ready to eat crow and I have the perfect Vintage Port (fully mature) to make it a bit less unpleasant. That said, Boston played a clean and aggressive game 7, by far their best performance in Rogers Arena. But the game changer has been and remained Thomas. The guy is an incredible goalie and that's what it takes to win a Finals series. Luongo showed tonight after a questionable performance throughout the series, that he is not nearly the goalie that Thomas is. Thomas would have stopped at least two of the first three goals, if not all of them, (in the first two periods). Painful to watch tonight, knowing we had a 3-2 game advantage with two to go. Cup winners stand up when the heat is on and it was Boston that did that. I loved the pace tonight ... an evening of blown chances and greatness in Boston's net. The Bruins deserved the Cup this year, most certainly by the upset that was game 7 ... an unforgettable finish. Thomas is simply the best, I have to admit that too. Hats off to the entire team! [cheers.gif]

I take losing in sports in stride and have learned to get over it pretty quickly. By comparison, my Yanks losing to the Red Sox, having been up 3-0 in games, in a best of 7 series while losing the 2004 ALCS; is about as humiliating as anything any sports fan will ever have to accept. This will be painful for tomorrow, but very easy by comparison. :beat: <---- Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am smiling like the cat that ate the canary! [dance2.gif] All the boo’s during the Cup ceremony was awesome; keep crying!

Luongo's comments about Thomas reminded me of when Fignon congratulated Lemond for his 2nd place finish with 2 stages left in the TdF. We all know how that worked out for Fignon.

[rotfl.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Boston did everything right last night. Thomas got another shutout. Recchi gets to go out a winner, capping off a long HOF career. The Bruins didn't commit the dumb penalties in the third period. They were clogging gaps and poking pucks away in the second half of the game, which was a change from what we usually saw in previous games.

Moses, I was wondering if the boos were meant for Gary Bettman. They seemed to stop with the boos when Bettman finally left the stage. There was even some cheering going on as the Bruins were taking turns skating with the Cup. Are victory parades in Boston getting old, though? As for the rioting, don't they know that you're only supposed to do that if they win? At least that's how it was when the Bulls were winning titles.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Brian C. wrote:Moses, I was wondering if the boos were meant for Gary Bettman. They seemed to stop with the boos when Bettman finally left the stage. There was even some cheering going on as the Bruins were taking turns skating with the Cup. Are victory parades in Boston getting old, though? As for the rioting, don't they know that you're only supposed to do that if they win? At least that's how it was when the Bulls were winning titles.
It was an emotional series and the boos were just a culmination of losing a game you're not suppose to. I am not sure even the Nucks were the toughest team the B's played. I thought the Canadiens were the hardest series to win tied by Tampa Bay and Nucks. The parade is Saturday. It could be the biggest turn out ever for a victory parade. Not as many people are in Boston in the summer, but so many from the burbs will show up with their children to celebrate.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Moses, I was wondering if the boos were meant for Gary Bettman.
Actually I was appalled by the behavior INSIDE the arena last night. Booing the American National Anthem was classless, as was the beginning of the Cup presentation. But i will admit that while watching the game, I though the exact same thing ... that it WAS Bettman that the crowd disliked. There were actually LOTS of cheers as Chara and Thomas (and others ... but particularly those two) skated around, proudly hoisting the Cup.

Detroit almost burned to the ground after their wins too. Not like MI has spare cash to rebuild anything, either.

What took place outside the arena by the mob mentality, is just a very poor showing for Vancouver. :evil:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Last night's game was 10 points higher in viewership than the Lakers/Celtics final game in my region.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Good lord... What an eventful 48 hrs... Didn't make it onto the computer over the past couple of days... I'll try to cover as much with as little verbage as I possibly can.

Re: the Raymond hit: when it is slowed down, I can see where many people, including Kerry Fraser, whom I have met and was an idol of mine as a ref, were calling for a penalty. The "can opener" move is used by some when delivering a hit to these stupid idiots that like to turn their backs just before a hit is delivered, to try to draw a penalty. It was a bi of a can opener, but at full speed, not a deliberate attempt to injure. I would have made no call either. I feel for Raymond though, nobody wants to see ugliness like that nor a resultant, unfortunate injury.

Re: booing the US anthem... Classless. I wasn't sure that I was hearing boos, or people singing along (badly) until half way thru, when I thought it was more obvious that the fans (not all, but enough to make it clear) were indeed booing. Bad karma folks... Brutal, unacceptable, embarrassing and completely classless. When Edmonton had their magical run a few years back, we did it in style... Singing the Star Spangled banner just about as loudly as Oh Canada (and, I'll add, without the lyrics being splashed across the jumbotron in a forced fashion!) Booing an anthem... Classless. Karma...

Re: booing at the end... It was definitely for Bettman. He has been booed in every Stanley Cup presentation for the past decade. True hockey fans just don't like the NY lawyer... I thought the crowd actually showed some class at the end of the game by cheering Thomas, Chara and of course, hometown Lucic when they got their turns with the cup. Boychuk did get booed (no surprise) but some class was shown at that point.

Re: Conn Smythe Thomas... Deserving, completely. I think the next closest contender from Boston could have beeN Marchand with how he stepped up in the Playoffs. For Vancouver, my only consideration would have been Kesler. Yup, didn't have great games in the final four or five, but I suspect he is much more injured than anyone thinks at the moment. I also detest him, so for me to say "he could be the MVP" says a lot about how he played.

Re: riots. Unbelievable. I watched with horror as the CBC showed us everything. I stayed up way too late, horrified and completely unable to draw myself away from the damn tv (except to ensure that I was pouring the port into my glass and not on the floor.). I
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Watched a parade yesterday... Cup celebration. How many people there?? >100,000 and no riots... :thumbsup: ;). Vancouver, take note.

I'll finish my thought from the other day: I said to a couple of co-workers on Tuesday before the game that Vancouver was going to have troubles. The extent of the troubles would be determined by whether they won or lost. Sad. :oops:

Now I have the draft to look forward to next Friday... Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.... Come on to your new home in Edmonton baby!!! You're going to help Hall, Eberle and my beloved Oilers win a Cup in a few years, a la Chicago-style!!! [cheers.gif] (no riots please!)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Watched a parade yesterday... Cup celebration. How many people there?? >100,000 and no riots... :thumbsup: ;). Vancouver, take note.
1 million showed up for the parade. The largest rolling parade in Boston's history.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

1 million?!?! :shock: Holy smokes. Impressive! [shok.gif]

Here's to Boston showing that hockey is indeed alive and well in some US cities! (our canadian media keeps feeding the people crap about how hardly any American markets watch or care about hockey, how it is doomed to fail in the US and how "our game" has been lost. While there may be several markets where it is not healthy (Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, etc) it is hardly fair to paint the entire country with the same brush. I was in Boston with you Moses a few years ago when the playoffs were on, the city seemed to very much be embracing the Bruins, this year much more so. I was in Chicago for the end of round three and beginning of round four last year. Hockey is VERY much alive there as wel, despite a long, long period of having a team that couldn't win much.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Todd Pettinger wrote:1 million?!?! :shock: Holy smokes. Impressive! [shok.gif]

Here's to Boston showing that hockey is indeed alive and well in some US cities!
We are one of the original teams. The Bruins final was 10 point higher viewership than the Celtics vs. Lakers final. The Stanley Cup has been showing up all over the city. Many of Bruins live right in the City (North End) and walk or ride their bikes to the Garden for practice and games. Most of the Bruins can walk around with little attention and are great with the fans. Very personable even under the spot light. Granted there are only 3 Americans on the Bruins.