2000 Fonseca Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

jon bricken
Location: ridgefield, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

2000 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by jon bricken »

• 2000 Fonseca Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (4/21/2006)
    Wow. Short decant. In the glass the smell of blueberries is overwhelming. Completely seamless and sweet without being cloying. You can feel the tannins coating the entire mouth and the acidity is balanced perfectly to frame the wine. (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Chris

Post by Chris »

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the TN.

It just happened that I bought 6 bottles, 6 mags and 6 halves of this port at an internet auction (the seller is a wellkown and reliable retailer). I actually do not really need such a lot of one single port, but I just couldn't pass ... I paid USD 55 per 75cl, best retail price here is USD 80. My plan is to resell some of the mags, keep the rest ..... and open a bottle soon.

Chris
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

IF you sell the MAGS, rest assured you will live to regret your decision.
Forget that Fonseca made one of the greatest Vintage Ports of the vintage. Also ignore the fact that finding magnums is not that easy to begin with, especially from top Port Shippers. Then add in that the 2000 vintage itself is not only going to be legendary, it is the first and only time a vintage will end with 3 zeros in any of our lifetimes and these are going to be VERY valuable trade bait someday, if you decide NOT to drink them in the future.

The least you should do is hold onto them for a decade or so and watch as their value escalates. Many Ports don't increase in value, but I would bet that in time, the highly respected Millennium vintage will fetch a substantially higher tariff than any surrounding vintage ... made all the better, due to your Mag bottle's specific producer.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

The 2000 Fonseca is remarkable stuff. We enjoyed a bottle over a three day period and it was at its best on the third evening. Following the evolution of the 2000 vintage ports is definitely going to be one of the highlights of my wine drinking hobby.

It's so hard to be patient...
:D