1977 Niepoort Garrafeira Vintage Port - now available

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Last year, when Dirk Niepoort was guest here in the Forum, there were questions abt when this port would be released. The Norwegian importer is now having it available for the restauarnt market. Being sold at price NOK 2,500 = abt USD 450 per bottle. I had the intention to buy this port and expected the price to be high, but this was more than expected. So I am not sure whether I will spend that kind of money. I have seen from Roys tasting note 1.5 yr ago that it got a very good score.
Any views on this price, will the port develop further and is it likely that the price will increase further?
Moses Botbol

Re: 1977 Niepoort Garrafeira Vintage Port - now available

Post by Moses Botbol »

Wow. At that price in Norway it's worth seeking out in another market. What's the expected USA retail? $450 or even anywhere near that is going to sit on the shelf in USA.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Wow. At that price in Norway it's worth seeking out in another market. What's the expected USA retail? $450 or even anywhere near that is going to sit on the shelf in USA.
Perhaps that's the marketing strategy; limited release (I don't know how many demijohns are available), slow sales, good price and a healthy margin to support the limited production of the next vintage of garrafeira.
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

For a 77 though it probably would be 0 sales and I'd doubt any of the retailers would even bother to pick it up.

wouldn't it make much more sense to take you 450$ and buy a 24 or a 47 for the "wow" factor.

I'd doubt anyone would even touch a 77 anything (tawny, colheita, vp, lbv) for 450$ especially when you have a readily available 100pter in the fonseca for ~150-200$
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Keep in mind he is stating Norway price. I have a hunch USA prices are half that if not less.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So can someone refresh my memory please. I'm presuming this is 1977 vintage. When was it put in the demijohns? Or was this an earlier vintage and 1977 is the demijohn year?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:So can someone refresh my memory please. I'm presuming this is 1977 vintage. When was it put in the demijohns? Or was this an earlier vintage and 1977 is the demijohn year?
It was a 1977 vintage and I am drawing a blank as to when it was put in Demi's. Anyone recall??
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Anyone also know what retailers might have this in the States?
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

Hi Guys,

The Garrafeira went to the Demijon in 1981.
There will be only 300btls worldwide so you will need to search really deep and don't expect to see big price variations.

Regards,
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Joao seems to have a good view of the market.
1977 Niepoort Garrafeira is available at Berry Bros, London, at price GBP 350 per bottle = abt USD 560 retail price, i.e. incl UK Duty and VAT.

This acutally higher than the USD 450 offered in Norway.

Has anyone tasted the 1977 Garrafeira from this bottling?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Considering older bottles are not going for a lot more at auction, it's hard to get excited about a $500 bottle of current port. Will this be worth more than the most current Nacional in the long run? :?:
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I agree Moses. I'm disappointed with the price. I can't see that I would pay that when the auction prices for older vintages are much lower.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Berry Bros will only allow you to buy a single bottle due to limited stock! I guess it is hard to come by :-)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

David Spriggs wrote:Berry Bros will only allow you to buy a single bottle due to limited stock! I guess it is hard to come by :-)
Sounds like a sense of false excitement building, like a "As Seen on TV" product pitch. Operators standing by.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
David Spriggs wrote:Berry Bros will only allow you to buy a single bottle due to limited stock! I guess it is hard to come by :-)
Sounds like a sense of false excitement building, like a "As Seen on TV" product pitch. Operators standing by.
Not really. There are only 300 bottles available worldwide, so it's pretty much "limited stock" by definition. Berry Bros may have only received 6 bottles as their entire allotment.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune EG wrote:Last year, when Dirk Niepoort was guest here in the Forum, there were questions abt when this port would be released. The Norwegian importer is now having it available for the restauarnt market. Being sold at price NOK 2,500 = abt USD 450 per bottle. I had the intention to buy this port and expected the price to be high, but this was more than expected. So I am not sure whether I will spend that kind of money. I have seen from Roys tasting note 1.5 yr ago that it got a very good score.
Any views on this price, will the port develop further and is it likely that the price will increase further?
I've recently had this and I enjoyed it. I can't speak as to the price, as that is always a subjective thing based on many factors. As to it's price increasing further...hard to say. Much older ones go for less money, but that isn't always an indicator the value of this will go down. Personally, I don't buy to later sell for a profit, I buy to drink at some point later in time. So I really don't care if it goes up or down in value later. So the choice to buy will have to be made individually, based on what you percieve is a good price or if you intend to sell it later, where the value of this may go.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Andy, could you please make a Tasting Note for your recent tasting?
Are you sure it was a bottle from this newest bottling?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune EG wrote:Andy, could you please make a Tasting Note for your recent tasting?
Are you sure it was a bottle from this newest bottling?
I'll try to get one up this weekend, work has me quite busy since I returned from our long fun vacation in the mother land [cheers.gif]