Any experience with these? Bought at auction.

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frank Carrano

Any experience with these? Bought at auction.

Post by Frank Carrano »

Hi all--I bought some older Madeira at the most recent Acker auction in Chicago, still waiting for shipment but I wondered if anyone had any tasting experience with any of these. I got a bit caught up in the heat of the moment and went way over my personal limit, but what's done is done...

1 bottle 1851 Madeira Boal, Cossart Gordon
1 bottle 1862 Madeira Terrantez, Cossart Gordon
2 bottles 1882 Madeira Boal, Cossart Gordon
3 bottles 1886 Madeira Malmsey, Blandy
1 bottle 1894 Madeira Boal, Cossart Gordon
3 bottles 1910 Madeira Verdelho, Cossart Gordon

Ive also got in my cellar, and would love any impressions of:

1863 Barbeito Bual Reserva Velha
1875 Barbeito Malvazia
1957 Barbeito Reserva Velha Malvasia
1925 HM Borges Boal
1856 Leacock Boal

I'm in the same boat I find myself in with a lot of the Port I own...I never open anything because I always feel like I need a really special occasion, or to be around enough people who will appreciate it. I open port at big holidays with my family, but thats once or twice a year. I suppose opening the Madeira and not finishing it for a chunk of time isn't a big deal since it holds up well once opened. Know what I mean?
Thanks in advance for any input, it's a lot of fun and informative to lurk this forum!

Frank
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Re: Any experience with these? Bought at auction.

Post by Marco D. »

That's an interesting set of wines. I've only had the 1863 Barbeito Bual and the 1875 Barbeito Malvasia... both wonderful wines.

Please post notes as you open them...

Cheers!
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Joe Dachille

Post by Joe Dachille »

Frank,
The 1957 Barbeito should be good if it was anything like the 1957 Barbeito bual that started my fascination with, and love for, Madeira.

I bought the 1957 as a 50th birthday present for myself (DOB Jan 1957). I was bowled over by the power of the aroma. I loved the flavor, but had no basis for comparison. My later experiences would lead me to the conclusion that it had a "Tootsie Roll" chewiness to the flavor, not that that's a bad thing.

My 55th birthday is coming up. You could use that as an occasion to open your 1957.
:lol:

OR I could buy it from you!

Joe D'Achille
Melbourne, Florida
Philippe Borel

Post by Philippe Borel »

1910 Verdelho. 11 notes over more years than i care to recall. Classic. Elegance, balance, depth, lovely shadings. Great wine.
Give some thought about inviting some of us who live within your area. We are selfless, generous and would be pleased to put some
of your magnificent bottles out of their miseries.
Another tough day at the auction house!
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Philippe Borel wrote:Give some thought about inviting some of us who live within your area. We are selfless, generous and would be pleased to put some
of your magnificent bottles out of their miseries.
That's some sound advice...
:-)
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Frank Carrano

Post by Frank Carrano »

I live in Boston, and would love to share the opening of these with people who would appreciate them (and educate me as well!)

Frank
Philippe Borel

Post by Philippe Borel »

Well Frank, you probably got yourself is some deep trouble..... Some of us may think that you've extended an invitation for a serious Madeira tasting!
Let's see how our vast fellowship reacts ( if indeed they do, unpredictable lot....). If you get a decent number of potential participants then we can talk some more, if not, thank you for extending the invitation. It was both classy and generous.

cheers

philippe
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Is it safe to assume this is not my old Madeira loving friend Frank Carrano from Long Island? If it is, please email me at portolover@aol.com

Thanks!!!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Frank,

I live in Shirley and know that there are others around here who have a taste for madeira. I can contribute, although mine are mostly not so old as yours. My oldest is an 1872T, and most are spread across the 20th century.
Philippe Borel

Post by Philippe Borel »

This is just a curiosity question Frank. Nothing else. Why do you bother extending what seems to be an invitation to share some interesting bottles (with the explicit understanding that the 'invitees' bring at least one bottle of particular interest; standard group tasting ) if 30 days out, with interest expressed by some people , you don't bother to respond. Why bother going through the exercise in the first place ( 'I would love to open etc and learn etc')
Somehow we will survive...... Honesty is such a good thing.
Frank Carrano

Post by Frank Carrano »

HI all--so sorry for extending the invitation and then not following up...Lots going on over the past month and a half and I've not been on the site. Doing some local moving around, tending to one of my dogs who had a serious injury, holidays, a pre-scheduled trip out of state, blah blah blah.

That said, I really would be happy to share with anyone--seriously, my personal tasting history with Madeira sums up to a total of maybe 9 different bottles and I really only end up drinking it when I bring something home visiting my family on holidays. So the more the merrier, it's just been a lousy time for me to set up anything requiring more than 5 seconds of planning.

Sooo...if people are still interested I am game, it would just be easier for me to be a "bottle bringer" rather than an organizer at the moment. Or after things settle down for me in the next couple of months I could definitely host something.

I apologize for extending an offer and then vanishing like that, it wasn't my intention and I really would love to share a bottle with folks who are as excited to taste as I am.

Frank
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Frank...let's talk !!! [beg.gif] [beg.gif]