Opening a Tawny and a Vintage Port together ...

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Opening a Tawny and a Vintage Port together ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

If you were opening a 20-30-40 year old Tawny Port and a vintage Port of equal age to your tawny, both in the same sitting ... which would you drink first?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Opening a Tawny and a Vintage Port together ...

Post by Moses Botbol »

My first thought is to drink is the drink the vintage port first as (in my mind) the tawny would have more acidity assuming a 20+ year old bottle.

I would sample both first and then decide or better than one after the other; serve them both at the same time.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I agree with Moses for the most part. At the 20-yr mark I might reverse it, though, depending on the VP. The 1994s are almost 20 years old now, after all, and most of those are still very youthful. I'd probably drink the tawny first in that case.

But at 30 or 40 years old I'd drink the VP first because the tawny would likely overpower it.
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I would drink the VP first, regardless of age. If I reached the bottom of the decanter and was still thirsty I might drink the Tawny next [cheers.gif]
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Ok, since I'm a :mrgreen: be kind if I'm thinking about this wrong.

I think the most logical way would be to start from youngest to oldest: Take a nice long sniff of each, filling my head with the essence of each Port in turn, then a few sips of each, repeat until my taste buds decided what gets finished fir ...
Oh wait, now they are all gone. [dash1.gif] Oh well.
- Life is too short to drink bad Port
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Ok, just finished a glass of the 82 that we opened up last night, and on an empty stomach to boot. So that last post should be ignored. :drunk:

For me in all cases, if it’s likely that the bottles would have a majority of the Port left in them I would go with the VP first. From what I've read the VP would not hold up to a post opening storage as well as a 20 yr tawny would, let alone a 40yr.

That being said, comparing them side by side would be my first preference. You just have to have enough people around to help you drink them.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phyllis D wrote:Ok, since I'm a :mrgreen: be kind if I'm thinking about this wrong.

I think the most logical way would be to start from youngest to oldest: Take a nice long sniff of each, filling my head with the essence of each Port in turn, then a few sips of each, repeat until my taste buds decided what gets finished fir ...
Oh wait, now they are all gone. [dash1.gif] Oh well.
That's the spirit! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Interesting - i would always tend to do the tawny first.

When i tasted at the Graham's lodge a couple of years ago, their preference was definitely to go through the tawnies first before moving on to ruby ports (reserves, Graham LBV) and bottle-aged ports (Smith Woodhouse LBV, vintage ports).
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

It seems like an oxymoronic question to me because I would not open a tawny and ruby at the same time. It would be like serving a lamb chop and a filet minon together. Each is great on its own but to fracture another metaphor the sum of its parts is far less than the total.
Richard Henderson
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Richard Henderson wrote:It would be like serving a lamb chop and a filet minon together.
With some sausages, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried eggs that has the makings of a perfect mixed grill breakfast [d_training.gif]
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Derek T. wrote:
Richard Henderson wrote:It would be like serving a lamb chop and a filet minon together.
With some sausages, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried eggs that has the makings of a perfect mixed grill breakfast [d_training.gif]
i'm with you on this one!!!

matter of fact I did this last week on a saturday (and slept the rest of the afternoon off)

was lamb chop with some sirloin, some pulled pork hash, bacon, tomatoes, fried egg and 2 pancakes

oh and mmm

I'd drink the vp first, but would probably rinse the decanters with some tawny..
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Richard Henderson

I suppose you guys would have a ruby , a tawny, a sauternes, a late harvest Alsace SGN , an Italian vin santo, and a vintage madeira with that mixed grill breakfast. [kez_11.gif]
Richard Henderson
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Richard Henderson wrote:I suppose you guys would have a ruby , a tawny, a sauternes, a late harvest Alsace SGN , an Italian vin santo, and a vintage madeira with that mixed grill breakfast. [kez_11.gif]
Certainly not! A nice warm pint of Ale is compulsory :salute:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote:I suppose you guys would have a ruby , a tawny, a sauternes, a late harvest Alsace SGN , an Italian vin santo, and a vintage madeira with that mixed grill breakfast. [kez_11.gif]
I was thinking a Bloody Mary would be a better pairing. [kez_11.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Andy Velebil wrote:

Oh and not just a Bloody Mary, but a BACON Mary. :drunk: Had a sip of one at last Sunday's brunch. :drunk:
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Drink the tawny - toss the VP. (kidding)
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Phyllis D wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

Oh and not just a Bloody Mary, but a BACON Mary. :drunk: Had a sip of one at last Sunday's brunch. :drunk:
A Bloody Beer is also a tasty alternative!
Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

I actually did this for one of my two 50th birthday port parties. I picked the Taylor Fladgate ports for the pairing. For the vintage we had the First Estate,2000,1991,1980 and 1970. Yes I know the First Estate is not a vintage but work with me. For the tawny it was the Special Tawny Port, 10, 20, 30 and 40 year old Taylor Fladgate. I started with the youngest moving to the oldest. The vintage was tasted first followed by the tawny each being about a 50ml pour. I likes the comparison of the the bolder vintage with the milder tawny. I liked the older pairings best but who would not. This pairing also featured eight cheeses nuts, chocolates and fruits. It was a day to remember. I think I had more fun planning it out and to share it with good friends because that is what life should be about. Making good memories with friends. The next week was part two of the port party which was a blind vertical of 7 1963 ports and one 1960 because that was my birth year. I am now working on gathering up the ports for my 60th.
Richard Henderson

We have proabably wondered too far from the original topic to find our way back, but if I am having a 2-3 course dinner I would not open or serve a tawny and a ruby.
I have had port dinners where I served a port or port like wine with each course, an Austlaian sticky with fois gras, ruby with veal scalopine in gargonzloa sauce and a tawny with a toffee pudding.
If it is a tasting to try various ports, yes a little side by side does not matter which is first.
On a regular basis , I think one or the other is best.
Last edited by Richard Henderson on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Henderson
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I would open the Vintage first, and then the tawny. This is actually a very timely question for me. My synagague is doing a silent auction fund raiser, and I am thinking of donating a Port "tasting" class. I plan to offer an LBV (probably a well-decanted 2003 Taylor), a Vintage (probably a 1963 Dow's or Graham's), a TWIOA (probably a 30 year Sandeman) and a Colheita (a 1937 Noval). I currently plan to serve in that order, with the bottle-aged Ports served first followed by the barrel-aged Ports.

I am, however, certainly interested in feedback on this line-up and order.

-- Gary