Another Valentine's Day approaching

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Another Valentine's Day approaching

Post by Roy Hersh »

So what are you love birds opening with your spouses, partners and loved one's for Valentine's Day? Any special Ports to be opened this weekend or on Tuesday night?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Re: Another Valentine's Day approaching

Post by Carl D »

We're going to a prix-fixe dinner at a local restaurant that will have pre-selected wine pairings, so I suspect we won't open anything - Port or otherwise.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We're going to the Melting Pot for their 5-course Valentine's Day fondue special on Sunday night. I probably won't be having any Port during or after the dinner, but will have a nice glass of Noval 40-yr old on Valentine's Day itself.
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Dunno, we have a couple of things open right now that need to be finished. If we open something new, probably a 1983 Taylor as there was a post on it recently. 83 is our anniversary year so it is a thought. We now live a ways out and have a nice cellar and we can make very good food here, so we willl not go out.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn, has Kari begun to appreciate Port yet?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

She does have a glass on occasion. She's even more tawny aligned than I am, though! It has to be smooth and creamy for her to really like it, with more wood-derived flavors than dried fruit flavors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sounds like she'd get along well with Peter Meek too! Watch out for that Nimrod, the Port that is! I found a few bottles locally in a shop and couldn't wait to tell Peter. I was going to buy them and ship them to him, but he said he was not interested because they were likely older bottlings. I only had Nimrod once and it was with Peter. I should have bought a bottle when I saw them, but they are likely still sitting on the shelf. There were 3 or 4, can't remember.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:She's even more tawny aligned than I am, though!
[shok.gif]

Jo doesn't drink Port, so I'm going to open a Fonseca 1963 with my Mistress [cheers.gif]

[bye2.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:She's even more tawny aligned than I am, though!
[shok.gif]

Jo doesn't drink Port, so I'm going to open a Fonseca 1963 with my Mistress [cheers.gif]

[bye2.gif]
Mistress.....what movie you gonna watch with the '63 [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

One place in Boston has several cases of Nimrod in stock.

We've haven't thought about Valentine's Day yet. Not a big event for us. I have a bottle of Pierre Peters BdB we could open and pick up jumbo shrimp from Costco.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars