Do you use the dishwasher or hand wash your Port stems?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Do you use the dishwasher or hand wash your Port stems?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't hand wash any glasses, but do hand wash my decanters. What about you?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: Do you use the dishwasher or hand wash your Port stems?

Post by Derek T. »

I do both, for both glasses and decanters, but my normal MO is to put glasses in the dishwasher and hand-wash the decanter. Only when the decanter starts to look a bit stained do I put it in the dishwasher.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I do the same as Roy. I machine wash my glasses, but hand wash the decanters. I am not even sure why, except that the glasses easily fit in the dishwasher, but the decanters do not. They are too "top heavy" and unstable when put upside-down in the machine.

-- Gary
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

I hand wash Reidel Vinium & Waterford crystal glasses, but all the generic ones go in the dishwasher. Decanters are always hand washed.
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

I usually hand wash everything. But at times I use the dishwasher, with the tiniest amount of detergent, never at a high-heat setting, always hand dry.
Tom D.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I used to hand wash them all. Then I remodeled the kitchen and finally got a dishwasher...now I'm in love. Glasses go into the dishwasher and I still hand wash decanters.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Carl D wrote:I hand wash Reidel Vinium & Waterford crystal glasses, but all the generic ones go in the dishwasher. Decanters are always hand washed.
+1

Occasionally I'll run my Reidels through the dishwasher just to give 'em a good blasting, but since I normally reuse the same glass every night it's easier to hand wash it than run the dishwasher every day.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I handwash my IVDP glasses, although I suppose they could go in the dishwasher. Lesser glasses go in the machine, and we have some other stems that won't fit.

Eventually the dishwasher will leave a residue on glass that you can't remove. On the other hand, the automatic dishwasher soap does rinse off more easily than hand soap, which isn't such a factor for wine, but can kill beer head. Whenever I hand wash glasses, I always invert and thoroughly rinse with a sprayer.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Ask Eva.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

I lie. I know very well that we put them in the dishwasher.

It brings up a philosophy I have about clothes: run them through the washer and dryer. If they don't survive, well, they weren't my kind of clothes after all.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
John M.

Post by John M. »

I usually put glasses in the dishwasher; if doing a lot of them, I'll sometimes add a second run with a rinse again just to remove residual soap.

The decanters are always hand washed and I never put soap into the inside. I also took a 1 x 6, drilled and inserted a dowel so I can dry my decanters upside down so as not to get any mineral deposits on the bottom.
Any Port in a storm!
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I hand wash everything. With hand washing I can make sure that every speck soap is removed and I don't risk breaking any of the stems.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Peter W. Meek wrote:Ask Eva.
There was a time when every Gentleman would have given a similar answer [notworthy.gif]
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Derek T. wrote:
Peter W. Meek wrote:Ask Eva.
There was a time when every Gentleman would have given a similar answer [notworthy.gif]
You will note that I instantly qualified that!
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote:The decanters are always hand washed and I never put soap into the inside.
Once in a while I clean decanters with PBW, "An Alkaline Non-caustic, Environmentally and User friendly CIP cleaner."
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I hand wash every port or wine glass. Nothing worse than digging out broken pieces from the dishwasher. Not worth the risk. I can wash 60 glasses in around 15 mintues.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So what do you guys do to remove the stains that eventually form in your decanters?

Although you may thing this sounds nuts, twice a year, I take a capful of bleach and pour it into about 64 oz. of water and pour that into 3 decanters. I swirl it around and let them sit for about fifteen minutes and then pour that liquid into another decanter until all have gone through the process. I then rinse them out thoroughly several times in hot water and finally a couple of times in cold water. It has returned my dull and stained decanters to looking like new. Twice a year seems to work for me.

How do you go about it?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

to get scale off of decanters, I use ice and salt. put about a few tablespoons of sea salt in there with a bunch of ice cubes and swich it around madly. works pretty well.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:So what do you guys do to remove the stains that eventually form in your decanters?
That's where the PBW comes in. It dissolves organics and protein. Although not a cleaner, I also have StarSan, an acid, which can dissolve other stuff. After that, I suppose I could use CLR, but I've never had to for a decanter. Better living through chemestry :D
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:So what do you guys do to remove the stains that eventually form in your decanters?

How do you go about it?
I have a very easy solution. I just throw out the decanter once its stained...

In all seriousness, I just put a few tablespoons of dry rice in the decanter with a small amount of soapy water to swish around the and stains come right out.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars