Port and diabetes

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Re: Port and diabetes

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Plus it allows me do my other favorite things and not turn into the Pilsbury Dough Boy...eating and drinking Port and wine.
Yeah, that's why I run. 3-4 times a week will let me eat pretty much whatever I want to eat and still keep me in my target weight range.
That's why I climb big hills at weekends. Unfortunately, I seem to have set a target weight range that doesn't help curb my eating!
[d_training.gif] :lol:
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Sorry for jumping in late but I have been out of town for two weeks donating to the fiscal health of the gaming industry. I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in 2009. At that time I was 210 pounds on a 5'9" frame. I got so spooked I lost 30 pounds but have gained 15 back. I drink port but no sugared sodas and I was a cola addict before. The most important thing is frequent blood sugar testing. React immediately to high scores by more water and protein intake immediately and obviously stop all sugar intake until stabilized. This has worked for me. I usually try to take in some lean proteins before I go to bed to lessen the mornings scores. Exercise that creates more lean muscle mass (such as weightlifting) is very good for you because the higher toned muscles require more fuel and will reduce the sugar in your blood. Please note ANY exercise will be beneficial, just keep at it! I plan my carbo load to include the sugar that the port will provide. The alcohol content is not really a problem, just the sugars. In my meal plan I will reduce the starch carbs to allow the port carbs. I am 63 years old and I plan to keep at it just like Peter. There is nothing that will let us live forever but the maintenance of a normal blood sugar level will help you avoid the side effects of diabetes such as blindness, loss of feeling in your extremities, heart conditions, etc. DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, just a patient who reads! Good luck and feel fee to contact me if I can be of any help. Jim
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

Jim R. wrote:Sorry for jumping in late but I have been out of town for two weeks donating to the fiscal health of the gaming industry. I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in 2009. At that time I was 210 pounds on a 5'9" frame. I got so spooked I lost 30 pounds but have gained 15 back. I drink port but no sugared sodas and I was a cola addict before. The most important thing is frequent blood sugar testing. React immediately to high scores by more water and protein intake immediately and obviously stop all sugar intake until stabilized. This has worked for me. I usually try to take in some lean proteins before I go to bed to lessen the mornings scores. Exercise that creates more lean muscle mass (such as weightlifting) is very good for you because the higher toned muscles require more fuel and will reduce the sugar in your blood. Please note ANY exercise will be beneficial, just keep at it! I plan my carbo load to include the sugar that the port will provide. The alcohol content is not really a problem, just the sugars. In my meal plan I will reduce the starch carbs to allow the port carbs. I am 63 years old and I plan to keep at it just like Peter. There is nothing that will let us live forever but the maintenance of a normal blood sugar level will help you avoid the side effects of diabetes such as blindness, loss of feeling in your extremities, heart conditions, etc. DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, just a patient who reads! Good luck and feel fee to contact me if I can be of any help. Jim
Seems to sum up everything I've read and heard. My problem is getting an accurate read on the residual sugar level. I've seen all sorts of estimates for how much sugar there is in VP. I know there is variability, but an average or a range would be useful. I have until March 17 to figure it all out because that's the day of the next Port bash.
Thanks Roy
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

What are you trying to figure out the grams/liter of residual sugar in a bottle of Port?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

Roy Hersh wrote:Jay,

What are you trying to figure out the grams/liter of residual sugar in a bottle of Port?
Yes, then I can figure out how much sugar I take in for each ounce I drink, and extrapolate from there, but I think it's about 2.4 grams per ounce, so if I figure 3 grams per ounce for a 20% error margin, I can still drink enough to appreciate a bunch of bottles without my doctor having a heart attack.
Thanks Roy
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Jay Hack wrote:I can still drink enough to appreciate a bunch of bottles without my doctor having a heart attack.
Excellent. There's nothing more manly than passing a problem off to someone else! :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Jay, couldn't resist enjoying the irony :wink:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think you also have to factor in the ethanol. This is a partially hydrolyzed carbohydrate. Doesn't quite raise the blood sugar levels, but can effect the glucose levels in the serum.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:I think you also have to factor in the ethanol. This is a partially hydrolyzed carbohydrate. Doesn't quite raise the blood sugar levels, but can effect the glucose levels in the serum.
Thanks Eric, we're trying to keep him drinking Port. Stop making it harder for us to be "pushers" [berserker.gif] [foilhat.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com