Smith Woodhouse and Niepoort availability

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I've noticed that I have some serious gaps in my collection of a few Port houses, especially Smith Woodhouse and Niepoort.

My collection of Smith Woodhouse consists of:
1. 1966
2. 1977

and my collection of Niepoort consists of:
1. 1900 Colheita
2. 1937 Colheita
3. 1940 Garrafeira
4. 1970 (vintage)
5. 1977 (vintage)
6. 1994 (vintage)

Am I the only one who has very few years covered with these two producers?
Does anyone have any older bottles from either producer, especially pre 1970 vintage?
And If so what vintages?
Eric Menchen

Re: Smith Woodhouse and Niepoort availability

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've loved SW when I've had it, so I've stocked up on it. I can't say I have anything older than 1977 in the cellar, but I don't have much of anything older than 1970 at the moment. It is readily available 1970+ and is a sleeper hit in my book.

Niepoort is a different story. I've also loved it, but it is much harder to come by here in the U.S., new or older. I ordered some 2005 and 2007, and I've managed to pick up a few other bottles at auction, but I don' see much of it around.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have some 1977, 1985, and 2003 Smith Woodhouse. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to find around here. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle older than 1977 though.

Niepoorts are tough to find in the US. I've been looking for them as well, and they're just about impossible to find for a reasonable price. Basically, if it's 40 years old or older, expect to pay $400+.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Old Smith Woodhouse is tough to come by in the UK, and old Niepoort is impossible. Older than 1970 I have SW35 and '47 and a sole bottle of Niepoort '63 that JDAW was kind enough to sell on to me.

And that's it!
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I'm already jealous of all the bottles you guys have listed - SW35 and 47?? Niepoort 1900 Colheita??

OK, bottle envy aside, here on the NY market it seems pretty easy to find SW VP from 77 forward but I don't recall ever seeing any older vintages, at least not in a store. As far as Niepoort it seems even tougher. The latest VPs and LBVs are no problem to find but when it comes to older stuff it seems to be non-existant.
The Port Maverick
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I also lack a lot of Smith-Woodhouse and Niepoort.
Only the 1977, 1980, and 1985 SW and the 1994, 1997, 2000 vintage Niepoorts. I had a 1960 Niepoort at one time, but drank it in Seattle with da boyz. I've some Colheita of Niepoort from 4 or 5 years but don't remember them off the top of my head.
No Garriferia!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Both are quite hard to find vintages older than about 1977. And when you do Niepoort tends to be quite expensive.

But at least older Niepoort Colheita's come up for sale from time to time. Old smith Woodhouse are next to impossible to find. Off the top of my head I can't recall ever seeing any SW vintages listed for sale from the 40's or 50's and only a couple from the 60's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I really don't have much in the way of older SW. I believe that the oldest bottle is a '77 and I don't believe that I've seen more than a handful of pre-1960 bottles for sale in the States. I do have some older Niepoort such as '37 (colheita), '44 (colheita), '60 (vintage), '63 (vintage & colheita), '64 (garrafeira), '66 (vintage) as well as a bunch of '70 & '77 (vintage). As far as the more recent vintage it looks as though I have '82 (vintage), '86 (colheita), '85 (vintage), '92 (vintage), '94 (vintage) & '97 (vintage).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good to see that others have issues finding SW too, I thought it was just me. [foilhat.gif] As for Niepoort, they are even harder to come by when it comes to old Vintages. Marc has obviously done his homework or has a great contact with the importer. Dirk's Colheita is easier to come by but like Andy said, it is not cheap. Love it though!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It really is amazing how little Niepoort vintage port is available at retail and auction. I guess people drank it all young. Good for them but bad for us :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I have this from Niepoort:

1900 Colheita
1976 Colheita
1950 Garrafeira
1952 Garrafeira

and:

1994 VP
2003 VP

But that's it! Yes.. I really should have a better collection of Niepoort.
From Smith Woodhouse I have:

1977 VP
1985 VP
1994 VP

But that's it!
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Same trend as for the others:

Smith Woodhouse VP 1977, 1985, 1988 + LBV 1992
Nice value-for-money

Niepoort:
Colheita: 1952, 1962
VP: 1994, 1997, 2000, 2007
+ a rarity: half bottle 2000 Niepoort Moscatel Douro (4 bottles left) - Buy it if you can find it!
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Back vintages of Niepoort are pretty hard to find in my part of the world and I don't own any - one of many big holes that I have.
There always seems to be Smith Woodhouse around but they don't seem to go back before 1977 here.
I've got 85s, 94s and 2000s
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I once bought a 1970 Niepoort at auction because it was a good deal, not because I realized it was a rarity. Tasty it was. I'm glad there wasn't more of it available, because at the time I would have stuck with the single bottle purchase and would be kicking myself now.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nobody mentioned that they own a bottle of 1912 Colheita. You guys are missing something. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Nobody mentioned that they own a bottle of 1912 Colheita. You guys are missing something.
Titanic anniversary?
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Eric Ifune wrote:
Nobody mentioned that they own a bottle of 1912 Colheita. You guys are missing something.
Titanic anniversary?
Better:

Fenway Park opens.

Red Sox win the World Series against the NY Giants.

Smoky Joe Wood: 34-5, ERA 1.91, 258 Ks, 16 game winning streak

First Balkan War
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gary Banker wrote:
Eric Ifune wrote:
Titanic anniversary?
Better:

Fenway Park opens.

Red Sox win the World Series against the NY Giants.

Smoky Joe Wood: 34-5, ERA 1.91, 258 Ks, 16 game winning streak

First Balkan War
May 8 - Paramount Pictures, the oldest American motion picture studio still in operation, is founded by Adolph Zukor in Hollywood, California.
May 13 – In the United Kingdom, the Royal Flying Corps (forerunner of the Royal Air Force) is established.
and my favorite...December 24 – Merck files patent applications in Germany for synthesis of the entactogenic drug MDMA (Ecstasy), developed by Anton Köllisch.[2] And you all thought Ecstasy was a newer drug.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Isn't Google wonderful. [foilhat.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Isn't Google wonderful. [foilhat.gif]
Wikipedia actually. Although I knew the year for MDMA from training classes at work :D