Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

Post by Roy Hersh »

You decide. [cheers.gif]

In 48 hours the next newsletter will be released. It is late because I wanted to go back and get the very best pricing I could on your behalf and I think you will be blown away by this one! [yahoo.gif]

There is a great buying opportunity for subscriber's only ... of Colheitas and old Tawny Port by Kopke and Rocha, in addition to a handful of bargain priced Douro whites and reds. The vast majority of these, and there are a whole lot more Colheita vintages offered (a dozen of which are between 1980-1937 in both 375/750's) this time than back in 2009 ... AND ... the majority are priced SIGNIFICANTLY below what they were offered at in 2009. I will say no more, because current subscribers are going to jump on this the day they see it, to lock in their allocations. So IF you have been contemplating a subscription, you have a very short window in which to pony up; as these will likely be gone FAST. Only subscribers will even get to see what's in this offering. There are single bottles here which will pay for your entire year's subscription and still leave you enough money to buy some Douro wine.

It is all up to you from here. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Russ K

Re: Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

Post by Russ K »

Dammit Roy, you had me thinking I missed a newsletter and honly had 48 hrs to buy with that email of yours! (I was too busy to read the details as we were on holiday...)
Russ
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Clock is ticking down, about 6 hours or less until the newsletter release ... not that I'm anxious or anything [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Correct, the newsletter was completed and is being readied for email distribution. The buy in begins with Thursday (tomorrow) and this will likely be the biggest hit of any buyer's ops yet, from emails and new subscribers that have joined. Now if only I could get them to post here too. [cheers.gif]

Eric, as you watch auctions closely, I am open to your feedback on the quality and value of this offering.

Good luck to all in the scramble to obtain your desired lot. It should go something like this ---> [berserker.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Someone please post when you get your newsletter - I have had issues in the past with my newsletter being delayed by Comcast, so if I haven't received it I want to know when I should drive over to Roy's house and beat on his door until he gives me one! :lol: [berserker.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Newsletter will likely be out in the next 30 minutes, depending on the number of final edits i have to make.

On your mark....get set.....

:)
Stewart T. (Admin) admin@fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

News letter is now posted on the home page for Subscribers, and includes the FTLOP Buying Opportunity.

Enjoy!
Stewart
Stewart T. (Admin) admin@fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stewart T. wrote:News letter is now posted on the home page for Subscribers, and includes the FTLOP Buying Opportunity.

Enjoy!
Stewart
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Stewart T. wrote:News letter is now posted on the home page for Subscribers, and includes the FTLOP Buying Opportunity.
Woot! Got mine, and placed my order by email. :D
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Was just wondering, what's the time zone of the times on the various posts? Right now I'm on Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:Eric, as you watch auctions closely, I am open to your feedback on the quality and value of this offering.
Colheitas are quite rare at auction, just as many of the offered bottles are rare at retail as well. That alone makes this offering interesting. I once bought a bottle of the 1957 Rocha, bottled 2006, for about $40 more than the FTLOP price. And while we can't make and apples-to-apples comparison, I bought a 1977 Rocha Colheita 375 for $46, so the 1976 FTLOP price looks good by comparison. Two :thumbsup: there. I can get the 1937 Rocha and 1967 Rocha for similar prices locally, so I passed on those. The FTLOP bottles are more direct, but I'd rather buy something from the offer that I can't even get elsewhere first. So I put in an order for a case of table wines and a case of tawnies/colheitas. [cheers.gif]
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Nice lineup, Roy! [cheers.gif]

Sadly, our wine budget is so blown out already, that we're probably going to have to pass on everything (even though my base instinct is closer to buying some of everything).
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Was just wondering, what's the time zone of the times on the various posts? Right now I'm on Eastern Standard Time.
Andy, Stewart, and I are all on PST. It's 11:36 right now.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Wondering since the time on your post is 6:36 PM! Is that the Western European time zone? [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Eric, as you watch auctions closely, I am open to your feedback on the quality and value of this offering.
Colheitas are quite rare at auction, just as many of the offered bottles are rare at retail as well. That alone makes this offering interesting. I once bought a bottle of the 1957 Rocha, bottled 2006, for about $40 more than the FTLOP price. And while we can't make and apples-to-apples comparison, I bought a 1977 Rocha Colheita 375 for $46, so the 1976 FTLOP price looks good by comparison. Two :thumbsup: there. I can get the 1937 Rocha and 1967 Rocha for similar prices locally, so I passed on those. The FTLOP bottles are more direct, but I'd rather buy something from the offer that I can't even get elsewhere first. So I put in an order for a case of table wines and a case of tawnies/colheitas. [cheers.gif]
Heh, yeah I guess you do live close enough to Total Beverage to pick up the '37 and '67 any time. :wink: I picked up bottles through the offering anyway because around here they're significantly more expensive at retail (WA alcohol taxes.)... and that's IF you can even find them. I also picked up some '65 and '66 because the prices on those looked pretty good compared to online Kopke listings. (There's no Rocha listed online... it seems to be rarer than Kopke these days.)

My feeling on the '76 is that it probably compares more closely to the '78 in price than the '77 (because the '77 is all bottled and prices are rising sharply as the supply depletes), but even that comparison results in a whopping 50% savings. I was happy to pick up 4 of those... they'll be good dinners-with-friends bottles. [cheers.gif]

Then I also got a couple of '38 halves for my Dad (the price on those is amazing!) and a small assortment of 50/52/57 to use for tastings. This price on the '57 is about $70 less than I paid at retail here in Seattle a couple of years ago, so that one bottle alone made up the cost of a newsletter subscription and more.

Lastly I picked up a case of the '06 Reserva for Kari. Seems like a great price on that wine, though we've never tried it before.

I would have loved to have seen some '87 in the offer as that's our anniversary year and we love that particular Colheita, but I guess they don't need to clear those out. :( Oh well! I still have a couple stashed. :yumyum:

All-around, a great FTLOP offering! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Glenn E. on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Wondering since the time on your post is 6:36 PM! Is that the Western European time zone? [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Check your settings - sounds like the computer you're using has your forum time set to GMT instead of local.
Glenn Elliott
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Roy, this is a really nice offer, many thanks for putting it together :clap:

I had kind of put myself on a buying hiatus for awhile, but you've got me reconsidering...
Tom D.
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Perhaps a silly question, but in the listings, e.g.

Rocha 37 Colheita 6/750

What does the 6/ refer to? Qty available? # to the case? other?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tom D. wrote:I had kind of put myself on a buying hiatus for awhile, but you've got me reconsidering...
I'm going to have to go on a buying hiatus after this offering :winebath:
Rocha 37 Colheita 6/750
I presume the 6 is bottles per case, but I don't know that for a fact.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, it represents six bottles per case. The price though is per bottle. Glad you all like this offering. Thank you! [cheers.gif]