Port Sippers

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Matthew P.

Port Sippers

Post by Matthew P. »

Hi,

Have any of you tried drinking port from port sipper glasses? I'm talking about the funny looking port glasses with the little feet and the long straw-like stem coming from the base that you sip the port through.

They are marketed as a better way to enjoy port, claiming to enhance the flavour as the port passes your lips and enters your mouth directly onto your tongue. They also draw the port from the bottom of the glass where it has not had a chance to oxidize. I don't understand this concept, however. As far as I understand tawny ports (which I drink) are alrqeady oxidized due to their time in the oak casks. And as far as vintage ports, one would want to oxidize them for several hours prior to drinking to allow them to bloom. Also, would a bottle not oxidize from the moment it is opened? So by one's second or third glass, or even drinking from a bottle opened days ago, the concept of preventing the port from oxidizing in the glass seems pointless.

If you have used a port sipper or can clarify what I have written above, please share your experience.

Thanks,
Matthew
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Sippers

Post by Glenn E. »

Otherwise known as the headless cats.
Glenn Elliott
Matthew P.

Post by Matthew P. »

Glenn E. wrote:Otherwise known as the headless cats.
Thanks, Glenn. I tried seaching the forum first but couldn't find any older posts. So I guess the consensus is that they are no good. I'm looking to get some port glasses so I guess I'll go with the traditional kind!
Shawn Denkler

Post by Shawn Denkler »

I've seen port sippers for sale many times but I would never buy one. I wish I could get away with smashing them all, it would be grat fun. The nose of any good wine is a great part of the enjoyment of drinking wine. You can not smell much in the tiny bowl of the port sipper. People drinking from the port sippers probably don't think port is that good and that hurts port sales.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've never used them but from what others have said, best to put it on display as a conversation piece :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Eva got me a pair of these, but one arrived broken. After trying the whole one, I never bothered to replace the broken one.

Very interesting to look at and think about, so I kept the one unbroken glass and have it in a display cabinet to draw questions.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I started a thread on this very topic on this site several years ago. I found the post which was January 21, 2008. I got a few as a gift. They were unbalanced and broke easily. That said, they were kind of fun and did aerate the port and hit the top of the palate in a mist, releasing the flavors in a unique way. I sort of like them, have a few left, would not buy anymore. They are novel looking. I get one out from time to time on a whim. Several members replied with similar responses to the ones you are getting.
Richard Henderson
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Someone once served me a port in one of those things. I thought it more of a novelty item than anything serious. It'll probably look good in a display cabinet, right next to the brandy snifter perched above a candle holder.

Mahmoud.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

With all the options out there nowadays, these "sippers" just don't cut it. A novelty at best, some designer probably had other intentions in mind and when they did not sell, thought, "well, maybe the guys who drink Port would be interested in these."

NOT! [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian G r a f s t r o m

Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

A friend has a set of these. We tried 'em out. I didn't have the gumption to tell him I think they're stupid. They do look cool, though.
John M.

Post by John M. »

I received a complete set of four along with it's decanter as a birthday gift a couple of years ago from dear friends.

Form: The decanter has glass hooks on it to hang the glasses.The neck is very long and straight, pouring with it takes a steady hand, yet it is far from the worst decanter I've seen/used. The glasses just seem extremely fragile, too, very light, thin glass. Yet none of mine are broken. They are pretty to look at in an odd way and its certainly a conversation piece.

Function: I found that the aromatic experience was nicely enhanced==your nose is right over the rim atop the bowl. However, impossible to swirl the wine efficiently and the tasting experience was diminished due to lack of oxygen since taking from the bottom without any air. Also, small in the hand and there's no stem to hold onto--you must hold the bowl. The decanter is OK as mentioned above--must be very steady.

Overall: An interesting novelty, but form comes up a little short being too delicate. Enhanced nose not worth diminished taste trade-off. Lastly, as a middle-aged guy, it just feels unmanly to be drinking out of what really looks like a "sippy-cup" for a toddler.

Here's a picture for the curious:
http://www.amazon.com/Oenophilia-303216 ... im_sbs_k_2
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Lastly, as a middle-aged guy, it just feels unmanly to be drinking out of what really looks like a "sippy-cup" for a toddler.
That right there says it all...they must now all be sacrificed at Port alter and never spoken of again :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com