Origin of Port Communion Wine in Episcopal Churches

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

Origin of Port Communion Wine in Episcopal Churches

Post by Richard Henderson »

As an Episcopalian, I have been curious about why our denomination uses port wine virtually exclusively for communion. I did a post on FTLOP a few years ago about what impact this custom might have on the port trade but never learned the origin of the custom.
I recently did a search and found the blog of Taylor Marshall Ph.D. If I knew how to post the link, I would . Maybe someone can google it and post the link here. Marshall says that the custom dates back to the Restoration of the Crown in the 1600's and France and England were not getting along. England and Portugal signed the Methuen Treay in 1703 which was an alliance against Spain and France.
England began importing a lot of wine then from Portugal.
The Anglican Church began using the fortified port wine exclusively and being such traditionalists , the custom has not changed for centuries and spread to the U.S.
I do wonder how much port is consumed in Anglican/Episcopal Churches. I furnish the port of our little congregation each year and our small group of 25 average Sunday worshippers uses about a case and a half per year. I do note that we use NV but very nice ruby and occasionally tawny ports. It is not Thunderbird. Usually a Dow's or Taylor First Estate, Warre's Warrior or Graham 6 Grape.
No, we don't water it down, although a small amount , maybe a teaspoon, of water is mixed as part of the ritual, but it is virtually undiluted.
Occasionally, a priest will consecrate too much. I remember once being asked by a priest to help finish the cup ( none is poured down the drain) and took a sip and was asked " Can you drink more?"
Well of course I could, in the name of God, Amen! [cheers.gif]
The purpose of the post is not to discuss religion but the history of this custom and impact it has on the port trade. Roy, we all know that many of the port houses have deep English roots but have you ever had any discussions with your Douro contacts of any impact on the trade by port use in the church?
Do any other denominations use port for communion?
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Origin of Port Communion Wine in Episcopal Churches

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here is the link:
http://cantuar.blogspot.com/2007/11/why ... union.html

Richard, we do visit some of the chapels (capelas) in the Douro quintas, but that is about as close as we get to religion, beyond seeing the nature that was created. Out of respect for and gIven the diversity of our groups, it would be inappropriate to get into religious discussions, beyond those involving posters at Ramos Pinto or things directly related to our experience.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

As stated above this is not a religious discussion but it is a relevant historical fact that port from Portugal as a communion wine has a long tradition. This is a port board. If other groups use port in their rituals, i would like to know the history behind that custom.
The Greek Orthodox Church claims the sweet Commanderia as one of the oldest communion wines. As part of life and sprit and the whole human experience , from the Roman god Bacchus to the use of port as a communion beverage, wine is used in convivial spiritual ways.
Ignoring that historical objective fact does not diminish the discussion in any way.
Man has been fermenting the grape and other fruits for many centuries.
When one denomination uses port exclusively on a large scale weekly, it seems relevant to have an objective non-relgious discussion about it.
Many religious groups use various drugs like Peyote for their rituals. If thousands of cases of port are used yearly in whatever ritual, that is an objective fact worthy of discussion about port.
I think that when we see ancient Egyptian tombs opened and we see what foods and beverages were designated for the afterlife, it is fascinating.
I have a near "religious experience" when I have a fine vintage Taylor with stilton and walnuts. :-)
Thanks for posting the link.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

To be clear, Richard, I have zero issue with this topic being discussed here on FTLOP's Forum. I was talking about our tours, when mentioning it was not a topic we discuss. Here, it is 100% relevant. So have at it. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote: The purpose of the post is not to discuss religion but the history of this custom and impact it has on the port trade. Roy, we all know that many of the port houses have deep English roots but have you ever had any discussions with your Douro contacts of any impact on the trade by port use in the church?
Do any other denominations use port for communion?
A very good question Richard. I think this specific question this would actually make a good AQFTPT.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Thanks for the clarification, Roy. A couple of notable facts, vin santo of Italy which I taste frequently at our local wine groups is made from dried or late harvest grapes, not fortified.
As to trade impact, in the U.S. there are just over 100 Episcopal dioceses. I would guess there is an average of 40 parish churches per diocese. If each one used one and a half cases per year, is that 6000 cases per year in the U.S.?
I really can't vouch for my data as to how many parishes there are nor how many cases are averaged per year nor do I know for sure of the average number at communiun each week, so the numbers are very rough estimates.Is 6000 cases a lot ?
I wonder if there is any data in the trade about the customers who buy NV port?
Richard Henderson
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Richard Henderson wrote:As to trade impact, in the U.S. there are just over 100 Episcopal dioceses. I would guess there is an average of 40 parish churches per diocese. If each one used one and a half cases per year, is that 6000 cases per year in the U.S.?
I really can't vouch for my data as to how many parishes there are nor how many cases are averaged per year nor do I know for sure of the average number at communiun each week, so the numbers are very rough estimates.Is 6000 cases a lot ?
I wonder if there is any data in the trade about the customers who buy NV port?
I'm not sure what they're using now, but my old Episcopal church used to use Paul Masson Moscatel [shok.gif] , so in your calculation it's probably not fair to assume all parishes use Port.
Tom D.
Richard Henderson

Golly, they need an upgrade Tom! I have been a member of the denomination for 30 of my 60 years, serving as a chancellor ( attorney) for them now, and all I can remember ever seeing was NV port. I guess each parish can use soemthing else.
As stated in the link, tradtion has it, and you know how tradtitional Episcopalians can be, is port from portugal.
Richard Henderson
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Richard Henderson wrote:Golly, they need an upgrade Tom! I have been a member of the denomination for 30 of my 60 years, serving as a chancellor ( attorney) for them now, and all I can remember ever seeing was NV port. I guess each parish can use soemthing else.
As stated in the link, tradtion has it, and you know how tradtitional Episcopalians can be, is port from portugal.
It was a pretty traditional parish back then, but budgets were always tight and I suppose they wanted to keeps costs down, so Paul Masson it was. Now that I think about it, I always assumed it was because we were an inner city church -- but we did used to draw a pretty good attendance from among the city's winos.
[bye2.gif]
Tom D.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I forget his name, but I believe there was an Anglican minister on the first Fortification Tour I was on a few years ago. He stated he liked to use good Port for his services.
Richard Henderson

I am working on a major work project but once I get it done, I will try to get a response from St. John the Divine Catehdral in New York, Grace Cathedral in San Francisco and the National Cathedral in D.C. to see what their annual budgets are for port.
Richard Henderson
Richard Henderson

I have finally been able to make some time to collect data on the topic of the impact that the Episcopal Church's use of port for religious purposes has on the trade.
The first reply that I recevied is from Duke DuTeil head verger of the Washington National Cathedral. They purchase 55 cases per year of Taylor Tawny of three liter bottles, four to the case. If I did the math right , that is 660 liters per year.
One thing that is interesting is I have never heard of 4x3 liter bottle cases.
Richard Henderson