Looking for 1852 ...

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Joerg M

Looking for 1852 ...

Post by Joerg M »

Dear Friends, I am looking for 1852 or 1752 Port or Madeira. Any hint or offer is welcome. Thanks a lot!
---------------------------
Noble Tokaji Wines
www.tokajneum.com
Al B.

Re: Looking for 1852 ...

Post by Al B. »

Those are some pretty rare bottles you're looking for - I wish you the best of luck!
Joerg M

Post by Joerg M »

I am aware 1752 is quite impossible, but I still hope for an 1852 ... Roy Hersh posted once a tasting note about a 1852 Naval Reserve Madeira Sercial on cellartracker. Though, I know 1852 are not common vintages neither for Madeira nor Porto.

I have a 1852 Tokaji but my client insists on Madeira or Porto ... still hoping ...
Noble Tokaji Wines
www.tokajneum.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I let my subscription to wine-searcher.com lapse, and the free version didn't return any hits. I would think the auction sites would be your best bet.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

In 1852 much of the harvest in Madeira (and the Douro) was destroyed by Oidium, affecting the vines before there was clear knowledge of how to tackle the problem.

I've never seen or tasted a port from 1852. I hope you find one, and I'd love to know who the shipper was.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I still have two bottles of the 1852. It is a Sercial, originally from the excursion to Madeira, by US Civil War General Sherman which took place in 1871, six years after Lincoln was murdered. I've never seen a bottle of Madeira from 1752. If your client would like to consider a trade, he can email me. But first, I would like to understand what is so important about bottles ending in '52? Why not make it easy and purchase some of the fantastic 1952 Ports like Kopke, Niepoort (Garrafeira) or Dalva Colheitas, to name 3 exceptional bottlings from that year.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Joerg M

Post by Joerg M »

@ Eric:
I have the pro version of wine-searcher >> no results neither :-(
I tried to find sweet alternatives (Tokaji, Sauternes, Malaga, Sherry ...) > nothing

@ Roy:
wrote you an E-Mail
Noble Tokaji Wines
www.tokajneum.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Joerg M wrote:
I have a 1852 Tokaji but my client insists on Madeira or Porto ... still hoping ...
Joerg,

As the moderator here I must insist you explain why you are seeking these bottles out. As your post and your signature line appears that you are a wine retailer. Something I have asked you to do in an email sent to you yesterday and which you have failed to do so far.

Are these bottles you seek out for yourself? Or are you a retailer that is trying to find bottles to sell to a customer?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Joerg M

Post by Joerg M »

@ Andy:
Yes I am a wine merchant and this bottle is needed for a tasting.
I didn´t want to break any rules, I just thought this is marketplace and its okay to post what I am looking for.
Noble Tokaji Wines
www.tokajneum.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Joerg M wrote:@ Andy:
Yes I am a wine merchant and this bottle is needed for a tasting.
I didn´t want to break any rules, I just thought this is marketplace and its okay to post what I am looking for.
Hi Joerg,

Thank you.

In wine forums full disclosure as to your involvement in the wine trade is very important. Especially in this case where you are seeking out rare old bottles, and where your original post would make people assume it was for yourself. Or in the case where you are promoting a wine or other product that you sell. I appreciate you clarifying that information.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com