20-Year Tawny Horizontal Tasting

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 20-Year Tawny Horizontal Tasting

Post by Andy Velebil »

Got a nice group coming over this saturday for this tasting. If anyone else would like to come there is still room, just shoot me an email or PM (icons under my username).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just received word that Carl and his wife are driving down for this [yahoo.gif]

We've now got a stellar line up of 10 different bottles of 20 Year Old tawny's to taste through. I can't wait for Saturday :winebath:

So far we've got;

Otima Warre
Taylor
Sandeman
Ferreira
Noval
Ramos Pinto
Niepoort
Graham's
Portal
Krohn
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Just received word that Carl and his wife are driving down for this [yahoo.gif]
LOL... they're die hards! Unless I just haven't heard yet, they're driving up for mine next weekend too. :winepour:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Just received word that Carl and his wife are driving down for this [yahoo.gif]
LOL... they're die hards! Unless I just haven't heard yet, they're driving up for mine next weekend too. :winepour:
I promise not to hurt them...well not too much :lol:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
At the rate planning is going up here, they're going to need the extra session with you in order to get ready!

Everybody wants to bring an extra bottle... you know, just in case. [foilhat.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:Everybody wants to bring an extra bottle... you know, just in case. [foilhat.gif]
w00t! That's not wrong!

We're taking a couple extras down to Andy's - still have quite a few left though, so maybe some will make it up to Sammamish as well!
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

Looks like we may be in Boston on the Sunday after your's Glen. What does that mean for your 20 year port tasting? No driving, we would have to fly instead. :wink:

:yumyum: Two taste offs in two weeks in a row :yumyum:
[kez_11.gif] Who knows, maybe even three in three weeks if things settle down here [kez_11.gif]
- Life is too short to drink bad Port
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phyllis D wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: LOL... they're die hards! Unless I just haven't heard yet, they're driving up for mine next weekend too. :winepour:

Looks like we may be in Boston on the Sunday after your's Glen. What does that mean for your 20 year port tasting? No driving, we would have to fly instead. :wink:

:yumyum: Two taste offs in two weeks in a row :yumyum:
[kez_11.gif] Who knows, maybe even three in three weeks if things settle down here [kez_11.gif]
Now that's what I call proper Port dedication [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif]
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Phyllis D wrote: :yumyum: Two taste offs in two weeks in a row :yumyum:
Now that's what I call proper Port dedication [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif]
It's all about Port education for the pallet. If I had started at a younger age, there wouldn't be the need for such an intense set of Port "Classes" now. [d_training.gif]
John M.

Post by John M. »

The Jersey gang had our tasting last night with the core 6 tawnies (Niepoort, Ferriera, Noval, Sandeman, Taylor and Ramos Pinto Bom Retiro). Interesting results...There was a clear winner overall and two clear at the other end, but out of 13 fellows, every port but one was somebody's favorite and every port was somebody's least favorite. Our tasting was blind in two flights of 3.

Clearly, there are some significant stylistic differences in these ports--which is why I think the results were so mixed--it just depends on where your individual palate is (do you like them dry or sweet?--do you like them woody or do you like them fruity? and so on.) but it just seem more pronounced last night than in a ruby-side tasting.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's results--enjoy!! [cheers.gif] [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John,

Look forward to hearing more about the results.

Our tasting is tonight and I must give thanks to Julian W. for making the placemats on very short notice last night :thanks:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2 more hours before the start. I'm so excited I can hardly wait. We're somewhere in the 12 bottle range of tawny's now. The weather is overcast and cool, with possible drizzle late in the evening...considering we've been in the 90's recently this weather came at the right time.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A fantastic evening last night. Some clear winners and some clear not-so-winners. I'll write it up...more later.

Many thanks to all who could attend. Especially Phyllis and Carl who won the award for driving the farthest to attend an offline!
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Thanks again, Andy. You put in a lot of effort to host, and it is very much appreciated. :thanks: :thumbsup: It was a great evening with terrific wines, food, and company.
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Steve Pollack wrote:Thanks again, Andy. You put in a lot of effort to host, and it is very much appreciated. :thanks: :thumbsup: It was a great evening with terrific wines, food, and company.
Ditto on Steve's comments.

We just arrived home after the long drive and it was well worth every single mile of it! You guys in So. Cal absolutely are fantastic and made me feel right at home! You made me feel like I was visiting with my brothers and couple more guys thrown in for good measure.

Thank you again Andy! :thumbsup:
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:The Sammamish version of the event will be Saturday, October 27th at my house. Unless it expands beyond 10 people, in which case we'll have to find an alternate venue. If you'd like to join Roy and I for this tasting, send me a PM or an email and I'll save you a spot!
We're heading over to Max's to get a light early dinner from chef Edna and then on our way to Glenn's with three different 20's in tow - Taylor, Sandeman and a mystery guest (you know - just in case there's not enough tawny to go around).

We have the full wine-tasting-to-go-kit: in addition to the wines, we also have 3 dozen glasses and 3 decanters in the car (I figured what the heck - they were already in the car, it would've taken extra work to leave them home!) The only major tool we're missing for a spontaneous tasting is a cork puller... I guess those bottles will make it all the way to Glenn's afterall.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Looks like things have finally settled down to 9 tasters and 11-12 (or 13... or 14...) Ports. The main lineup includes:

Ramos Pinto
Graham
Ferreira
Fonseca
Kopke
Portal
Sandeman
Taylor
Niepoort
Andresen
Noval

Then there are three mystery bottles, two of which I know about. We probably won't need those, though!

I almost picked up a Ventozelo at Total Wine but decided against it as the list is already pretty substantial. :-) Notables missing are Dow, Warre, and Warre's Otima, but I don't think any of those are critical. Should be a fun evening!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Carl D wrote:The only major tool we're missing for a spontaneous tasting is a cork puller... I guess those bottles will make it all the way to Glenn's afterall.
Shh... don't remind him that 20-yr olds typically have a t-cork. [beg.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:Looks like things have finally settled down to 9 tasters and 11-12 (or 13... or 14...) Ports. The main lineup includes:

Ramos Pinto
Graham
Ferreira
Fonseca
Kopke
Portal
Sandeman
Taylor
Niepoort
Andresen
Noval
A great night of 20 year old Tawny Ports! Thanks Glenn for hosting and everyone for participating and contributing. For me personally, this was my favorite wine tasting event yet, for a variety of reasons.

Roy and I had the same top 3 (albeit in a different order) so I guess my taste buds are learning something about how these wines should taste!
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:
Carl D wrote:The only major tool we're missing for a spontaneous tasting is a cork puller... I guess those bottles will make it all the way to Glenn's afterall.
Shh... don't remind him that 20-yr olds typically have a t-cork. [beg.gif]
Yes, but our tasting kit is not limited to 20 year tawnies! (And beside that, one of the 20's tonight had a driven cork - so there! :P~~~)