Madeira Tasting in San Francisco - May 17-19, 2013

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Madeira Tasting in San Francisco - Tentative for May 2013

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think two in one day would be too much. Two on a weekend can be done. Consider also Sunday during the day.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

(I agree two in one day is too much.)

Ok, so "higher bar event" on Saturday late afternoon or early evening...

... then "medium bar event" on Sunday late morning or early afternoon...

How does that sound?

This gives people time to arrive either Friday night or Saturday morning in time for the first event without missing much work.

Then an event on Sunday during the day gives those who can't take Monday off the POSSIBILITY of getting back in time for work on Monday (red-eye for those east coasters) rather than taking Monday off....

I say "possibility" because a travel schedule like that might kill someone -- but after a weekend of tasting madeiras like this, at least they'd be happy, right?

I think having the same people at both events is great -- It's different BOTTLES that we want!
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Mark L wrote:(I agree two in one day is too much.)

Ok, so "higher bar event" on Saturday late afternoon or early evening...

... then "medium bar event" on Sunday late morning or early afternoon...

How does that sound?

This gives people time to arrive either Friday night or Saturday morning in time for the first event without missing much work.

Then an event on Sunday during the day gives those who can't take Monday off the POSSIBILITY of getting back in time for work on Monday (red-eye for those east coasters) rather than taking Monday off....

I say "possibility" because a travel schedule like that might kill someone -- but after a weekend of tasting madeiras like this, at least they'd be happy, right?

I think having the same people at both events is great -- It's different BOTTLES that we want!
Great input, Mark! [cheers.gif]
Peter T.

Post by Peter T. »

That sounds great to me.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Interesting so far. I am paying close attention but don't want to steer the discussion. :thumbsup:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Assuming there will two tastings:
1. I will have to opt out on the personal cellar older vintages or more expensive commercial tasting since the older nuances would probably be lost on me and I cannot go the "higher bar" prices
2. On the subject of a less expensive second tasting I would suggest a format that has two bottles of each style to expand the attendees' horizons since many of us probably have limited experience with madeira.
Whatever the outcome I am sure it will be enjoyable for the attendees (whoever those lucky people will be). Jim
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I would love to attend this, although seeing as I have no Madeiras in the cellar at this point, I would likely have to opt for just the single tasting. This sounds like a blast!
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And from an organizational standpoint, with rental glasses, table set ups, working with management to put together a menu etc. I may opt for the same venue to handle both events, considering I'll be doing most of the heavy lifting. [berserker.gif] I'll likely wait until right after the New Year to get serious about planning this.

By then, everyone should have said their piece and staked their claim. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Thanks for looking into this, Roy. I'm sure all the logistics can be a headache, but hopefully the eventual venue will be more helpful than not.

Quick question: (I'm sure you've dealt with this in past tastings, and I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have an answer somewhere else on the forums from a previous tasting):

How do we deal with madeiras that may show better if they are decanted well ahead of time? -- especially if some bottles are coming with/from people a good distance away?

Thanks! I'll keep thinking about the event and will put more thoughts here as they come! After the New Year, I'm sure we'll all have a better idea of how things will come together.

Cheers,
Mark
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Not Roy,
but the way we've done this in the past is to decant the wines 2+ days ahead of time. I then decant back into the cleaned bottle and bring it to the tasting. Dinner follows the tasting and we usually bring a bottle of something to go with the food.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've been tracking bottles on WineBid.com for a good while now to see what I might find for this event. I was about to pull the trigger on one or two, but did a spot check of and found I could get some from RWC for just as good of a price. Then today I noticed that three of the winebid bottles have bids on them:
http://www.winebid.com/Item/4212657/192 ... a-Malvazia
http://www.winebid.com/Item/4216916/195 ... va-Madeira
http://www.winebid.com/Item/4216513/194 ... da-Piedade
All the bids are by "NYSE of Intl."
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

And today I was outbid on an 1834 bottle at Acker. Perhaps I'll find something from a better source. Time to give RWC a closer look.
Bret Davis

Post by Bret Davis »

I (very) recently joined FTLOP [imnewhere.gif] through my interest in learning more about madeira and from several threads on WB. I'd be interested in attending this tasting in SF should the event come together and would be willing to contribute in whatever way is needed.

Cheers!

Bret
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am currently working on two other (non-FTLOP sponsored) Port events and one other Madeira event which have been in the works for some time. Someone reading this thread had promised to look at a SF venue we had discussed. I sent him an email last week and have yet to hear back. If within another week or two, I hear nothing ... I'll reach out on my own to find a venue.

I have held a few events in SF in the past and may or may not consider the same venues to work with. It depends on many factors. The other dynamic is having those who want to attend both events, stay overnight. I will say in advance, I am not going to work on arranging accomodations for guests, and will leave that to participants, so they are free to choose a hotel/motel that fits their budget.

Would someone here be willing to go back through this thread and then post a numbered iist of all guests who have said they'd attend and break out by which event they've chosen? [beg.gif]

We'd then have a way to see if there is actually enough interest in having 2 full fledged tastings. Each would be limited to the first 15 guests (+ me) for a total of 16 in total, which would be the maximum that I'd suggest in order to obtain worthy pours and ease in finding a willing venue and reasonably priced add on for glassware rentals.

Thanks!

Roy
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

If no one else does, I'll be happy to tally when I get home in a little bit. I'd do it now but it'd be tough on my phone and at work, haha.
-Brad

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

May 18th/19th
Interested (What Tasting/When Last Heard From on This Thread):

Bradley Bogdan (Lowbar/Jan)
Barry Sunderland (Both?/Dec)
David Spriggs (Both/Nov)
Eric Ifune (Both/Feb)
Roy Hersh (Both, Duh)
Carl D (Lowbar/Jan)
Phyllis D (Lowbar/Jan)
Bob Stern (?/Jul)
Andy Velebil (Both if available?/Nov)
Llyn Strelau (Both/Jan)
Steve Pollack (Both/Both)
Alan Gardner (Both/Nov)
Alan Gardner's Significant Other (Both/Nov)
Mark L (Both/Jan)
Timothy B. (Both/Feb)
Reidar Andersen (Both/Nov)
Justin A. (Wrong Weekend?/Nov)
Jim R. (Lowbar/Dec)
Peter T. (Both?/Nov)
Eric Menchen (?/Jan)
Bret Davis (Both/Feb)
Richard Jennings (Highbar/Feb)

Counts at this point are:
?s: 4 people
Lowbar: 18 People
Highbar: 15 People

People who I made a guess at are tallied, Andy is also included in the counts.

Updated: Feb 3.
Last edited by Bradley Bogdan on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.
-Brad

Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Interested (What Tasting/When Last Heard From on This Thread):

Carl D (Lowbar/Nov)
Better add 1 for Phyllis D too!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thank you Brad! :thumbsup:

OK, everyone now sees the list above and knows the date and city.

Please do reconfirm your ability to join us and clarify for us, which tasting (or both) you want to participate in, so we can proceed with plans. Thank you all!
:NotWorthy:
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Carl & Phyllis D - Any weekend in May 2013 in San Francisco - we're there! We'll need some guidance on what to bring, but I'm sure Darrell Corti can hook us up with something woth bringing.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Great job Bradley. I, unfortunately will not be able to make it to SF in March.

Looking forward to reading people's notes...

Cheers,
Marco
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA