What was your BEST Port purchase from last year?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What was your BEST Port purchase from last year?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not for bragging rights, but what Port buy do you think was the best "score" of 2012? Whether a $5 or GBP or Euro bottle of $500 bottle matters not. [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Re: What was your BEST Port purchase from last year?

Post by Carl D »

I'd have to go with the 1992 SW LBV that we brought to the FTLOP anniversary event. It was so unexpectedly awesome - even next to the 92 Taylor, 92 Fonseca and 94 Taylor.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

The FTLOP buy with all the colheita was probably my best collective buy. For a more limited case, a six pack OWC of 1998 Quinto do Vesuvio at about $26/bottle.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

6 x 1980 Gould Campbell VP in 375ml bottles for $20/bottle
12 x 2007 Quinta da Romaneira VP for $20/bottle
both from WineLibrary.com. Wish I'd ordered a full case of the GC80... or two cases... *sigh*

3 x 2003 Ferreira VP for $25/bottle from WTSO.com was also good.
Glenn Elliott
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Probably the best buy of the year was 1989 Warres Quinta da Cavadinha VP (750ml) for $8.00/bottle.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

The 12 x 1980 Gould Campbell VP at $37.99 was a great deal for an amazing wine! I wish I had bought many more cases.
John M.

Post by John M. »

I too got some of the 1980 GC and the 2007 Romaneira at those great prices. In that same vein I got a mixed case of 2000 & 2007 Q. do Crasto VP and 2007 Croft VP for an average of $25/bottle.
Any Port in a storm!
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

1963 Andresen Colheita for 25 euros!
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Carl D wrote:I'd have to go with the 1992 SW LBV that we brought to the FTLOP anniversary event. It was so unexpectedly awesome - even next to the 92 Taylor, 92 Fonseca and 94 Taylor.
Oh, and the BEST thing about this bottle is that it was free! It was mis-advertised as a VP by the seller and when we discovered the error upon receipt of the bottle, the seller simply refunded the money and told us to keepthe bottle as a gift.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

The best buy, not in the way of the best bargain, but in the way of showing some friends how a good port (other than the supermarket ports) can taste, was the Smith Woodhouse LBV 1995 @ €15. It was a real revelation for some of them, so to me the best buy!
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Carl D wrote:I'd have to go with the 1992 SW LBV that we brought to the FTLOP anniversary event. It was so unexpectedly awesome - even next to the 92 Taylor, 92 Fonseca and 94 Taylor.
Monique Heinemans. wrote:The best buy, not in the way of the best bargain, but in the way of showing some friends how a good port (other than the supermarket ports) can taste, was the Smith Woodhouse LBV 1995 @ €15. It was a real revelation for some of them, so to me the best buy!
I love both the Warre and the SW LBVs, but it would be interesting to understand how inferior the blends from e.g.: the Warre 1994 LBV or the SW 1992 LBV were considered to be at the time of selection to the blends destined for their VP counterparts (plus was thinking, the other day while drinking a Bioma 08, that it would be interesting for comparison purposes to have a case of port where the same blend has been bottled 2, 3, 4 and 5 years after harvest with a few bottles of each provided).
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

My best purchase was probably a six pack of Vargellas 1998 for £66 ($99) - but I'll have to spend nearly as much again to store them for long enough for them to reach maturity!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Probably 2 mags of Douro Boys 2005, they are so rare. I did get them at a price close enough to the release price compared to the 1,5k-2k euros they are sometimes seen on the market.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company