Rocha Port gains exclusivity in the USA

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Rocha Port gains exclusivity in the USA

Post by Roy Hersh »

Rocha Port which like Kopke and others, was part of the large Barros family portfolio and was distributed in the EU and in the USA. Since Barros was purchased recently, as reported here on FTLOP ... the new group that is held by a large Spanish banking company, will give exclusive distribution rights to their USA importer. I do not believe they will be found in the EU after current stocks are depleted.

That is only true for the Rocha brand and not others from the former Barros holdings.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Conwell
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by John Conwell »

Wow, that seems like fairly big news. Is this a common practice in the wine industry, to give one country exclusive rights to a certain product? Or is this fairly unusual?

So what are the financial benefits of such a decision. The only thing I can think of would be some economies of scale. Also, maybe if Rocha was looked down upon within the EU as an inferior port (compared to other quintas), but still fairly well regarded in the US this might make financial sense.
Thanks, John C
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Barros was a very large group that was family owned. The new group is a bunch of bankers who may not have the same Port passion, but giving them the benefit of the doubt ... for now ... we'll see how the new company performs. I am sure they will not have too much effect on the day to day operations, although clearly management has already changed. I believe the oenology team was left in place but that too could change.

Anyway, Rocha is a small brand elsewhere and a big presence in OUR local market John, because of the importer who is based in Bellevue. What they stand to gain, is the old stocks of Colheita that are bottled with the name Rocha. Like Madeira, once they are gone ... there is no more. Rocha Colheita from the 1937 vintage or 1963 or 1966 vintage to name three older ones I like very much ... are in short supply. Younger ones like 1977 and even some of the more recent Colheitas have already been bought out. So to capture the supply from Europe is huge. Obviously there is a lot of respect for the marketplace over here as well as the importer which is self distributed in WA. They also have the rights to the entire USA. Additionally, they have the majority of key markets in the USA for Kopke as well, albeit there is one other licensed Kopke importer in the USA. So the real news here is that older stocks will be spared for the USA market, in theory.

As you know, Seattle is a fairly large player when it comes to Colheita consumption, compared to the rest of the USA and probably anywhere else in the world outside of Portugal. In fact, in the entire USA, Seattle ranks up there as the 5th largest/most important market for Port in the country to the Port shippers. I have verified this with a handful of the key Shippers in Portugal and they all agree between 4th and 6th. The numbers are staggering. You see what goes on in every restaurant and wine shop here, not to mention supermarket and upscale grocer. The market share developed by this particular import/distribution group is a major coup and the owners have worked very hard to create such enormous loyalty to these brands. Of course the quality and pricing is very much consumer friendly too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Count me as a huge Rocha fan. I certainly hope the quality is maintained.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Reminds me of a great old Emerson, Lake & Palmer song, I think from Tarkus:

Are You Ready Eddie?
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Roy Hersh wrote:Reminds me of a great old Emerson, Lake & Palmer song, I think from Tarkus:

Are You Ready Eddie?
Always ready for some Rocha!
John Conwell
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by John Conwell »

In fact, in the entire USA, Seattle ranks up there as the 5th largest/most important market for Port in the country to the Port shippers.
That's really interesting. Do you have / can you share any of these statistics? It would be interesting to see the top ten geographical regions for port consumption. What would be cooler would be to then break it down to the different styles of ports / by region :-)

You'll have to forgive me. I do data analysis and programming for a living, so this kind of stuff excites me. I'm such a geek! :type:
Thanks, John C