Do you belong to a Port or wine tasting group?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: Do you belong to a Port or wine tasting group?

Post by John M. »

I have a Port Club (Portly Gentlemen) that consists of 13 members; we're all friends from the same town. All of us paid an initiation fee and we pay a set fee per meeting as well (once every 6 weeks or so, each person taking a turn hosting which is about once every 1.5 years). The initiation allowed us to establish a cash flow and buy some port stock. Collectively we own a couple of cases of glasses (Marjorie Lumm's #9909 which are very reasonably priced). I am the principal buyer (which I love doing); someone else is the treasurer, another does placemats. It seems to work well, although budget constraints limit our VP consumption and often its LBVs or similar--its always fun to have a boys night out and we always have a great time. Occasionally a host will deviate from port--notable in this class was a bourbon/rye/whiskey tasting and a soon to come tequila tasting. The former was awesome with the host preparing a power point presentation.

Additionally, a few times I've organized something a little nicer and include other local port friends.

On a side note I am amazed some of you talk about a bottle per person per event. With 19.5% alcohol, that's like drinking two bottles of wine!! You must have professional livers!
Last edited by John M. on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any Port in a storm!
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

I'm trying!!! but I have the inverse problem of John M. He focuses on port and occasionally delves into other areas. More of my friends are interested in other drinks (a lot of scotch drinkers). I organized them for a port tasting recently, and hope to have a few more. I believe I opened up a new world to them.

I have a surplus of really good scotch from a recent tasting I did for a political fundraiser, and I think they are waiting for me to break that out. They will have to humor me further first by paying homage to the port god(s). (Is Bacchus also the god of fortified wines?)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mr. Newman,

It is great to read of your current role as Port ambassador. We need more of them, in every state and in every country. Thanks for doing your part to make this a reality! :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

We've got a group of about 20 people in the UK who get together from time to time, loosely based around London. There's probably a get together of some of us at least once per month and we occasionally see strangers from other parts of the world - like Ronnie Roots who has given us an excuse to get together tomorrow by visiting the UK for a few days so there's an informal "bring a bottle wrapped in foil to share with friends who like port" themed evening planned.

And we're very friendly people, always happy to welcome new faces to the group whether for a once only attendance or someone who becomes a new regular attendee.

We sometimes even get port writers dropping by on their way between Seattle and Portugal :winebath:
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

No, wish we had one in middle Georgia, USA.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Michael T Wrote
No, wish we had one in middle Georgia, USA.
Michael: I talked up port to 5 friends and invited them over for a tasting. They all got hooked to one level or another and we started a club--then actively talked it up and invited people as guests. If they got hooked, we invited them to be members. It took a couple of years to get to my target of 12 (well, we got to 13). Although not intended initially, it became a guys thing (no woman ever showed interest and we tried)--so now its as much of a guys night out as anything. It is a blast, even if our tastings are very informal, but it is a way to taste a lot of different ports.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Michael,

I will be in GA in a few weeks ... but not for a Port event. This one is Bordeaux. However, I know lots of Port lovers down your way and have been to several Port tastings, one Madeira tasting and hosted some offlines down there too. You just need to reach out and bring 'em in. Don't be shy! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roel B

Post by Roel B »

I'm in a few general wine tasting groups which were all formed during different wine courses. However, getting people together for a full-fledge port tasting is hard. I've tried but failed to get enough people together to justify opening a dozen VP's.

But I would love to start an actual Port tasting group for this region! I have a few friends who will probably join in, but we'll need more people to get actual tastings organized with enough people attending. And making new port-loving friends in the mean time!

I am in the south of the Netherlands ('s-Hertogenbosch); the entire Netherlands, western Germany and most of Belgium are within a one to two hour driving radius. I have several options to host tastings nearby at minimal to no cost. My own house is also an option for up to about 12 people. So: if anyone would like to join, drop me an e-mail! And even if you read this message in a year, or two, don't be afraid that it has been too long, just drop me an e-mail!

Roel.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Roel B wrote:I'm in a few general wine tasting groups which were all formed during different wine courses. However, getting people together for a full-fledge port tasting is hard. I've tried but failed to get enough people together to justify opening a dozen VP's.

But I would love to start an actual Port tasting group for this region! I have a few friends who will probably join in, but we'll need more people to get actual tastings organized with enough people attending. And making new port-loving friends in the mean time!

I am in the south of the Netherlands ('s-Hertogenbosch); the entire Netherlands, western Germany and most of Belgium are within a one to two hour driving radius. I have several options to host tastings nearby at minimal to no cost. My own house is also an option for up to about 12 people. So: if anyone would like to join, drop me an e-mail! And even if you read this message in a year, or two, don't be afraid that it has been too long, just drop me an e-mail!

Roel.
Hi Roel,
I'd be in to take part in a (or several) port tasting(s). I'm located in the south as well (Spundel, not too far from Breda).
So please do let me know if you get enough replies and there could maybe be talk of a full blown port tasting! :winebath:

Gerwin [cheers.gif]
Roel B

Post by Roel B »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote: I'd be in to take part in a (or several) port tasting(s). I'm located in the south as well (Spundel, not too far from Breda).
So please do let me know if you get enough replies and there could maybe be talk of a full blown port tasting! :winebath:
Great! Or better: gezellig! That's one.. Who's next?

Roel.