Past & Current Favorite TV Series

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Past & Current Favorite TV Series

Post by Roy Hersh »

From your childhood, or even this week ... what were your favorites and some of the great ones you are watching now?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael T

Re: Past & Current Favorite TV Series

Post by Michael T »

Gilligan's Island, never understood why, and still don't, why they wanted to be rescued with Ginger and Mary Ann on the island. Maybe there was no port on the island.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Current Favorites besides sports and stuff like that:

Game of Thrones
True Blood
Tosh.0
Shark Tank
World's Worst Tenants
Fashion Police
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

I can't watch anything with commercials, even the self-commercials on public TV. Ultimately I have to buy the DVD(s) and watch it at home. (This also gets me good sub-titles, as I am getting fairly deaf.)

That said, I have enjoyed the Serenity/Firefly series, Buffy/Angel (parallel series), Game of Thrones (I think they have filmed the first two of seven books, some of which have not been written yet), Da Vinci's inquest, Big Bang Theory, Downton Abbey (w/Michelle Dockery, who may be the sexiest actress alive), and a few others.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
John M.

Post by John M. »

Oldies...Dick Van Dyke Show (with Mary Tyler Moore), M*A*S*H, Cheers, Northern Exposure, ER were some favorites.

Present...Big Bang Theory, Parenthood (Hope they don't Jump the Shark--feels like they're getting close), Modern Family and The Daily Show.

Always...60 Minutes and Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood.

As to Gilligan;s Island and any other Sherwood Schwartz show, if you think it makes no sense...if you just tune out, accept everything those shows were highly entertaining. I get the debate over Ginger and Maryanne....but an equally tougher debate is which of the Petticoat Junction gals was your favorite?
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ahh, Big Bang Theory is our current favorite. And we've started watching Downton Abbey and Sherlock.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Great submissions so far. I am looking for a new series as the ones I've enjoyed most lately ON DEMAND (w/ no commercials for Peter's sake) are over and done. Most recently, WEEDS where I was able to watch 8 seasons in two months. If I was retired, I could've watched it in a week. Amazingly funny!

The only current "series" I am watching is: THE AMERICANS which is absolutely brilliant in every way. Lovin' it, although in hiatus until season two.

But some semi-recent favorites: South Park, Law & Order: SVU, Sopranos, The Wire, The Killing (how do they cancel that after 2 seasons?), The Shield; and because my daughter loves it ... American Idol. Ok, we all have a fault. [foilhat.gif]

From yesteryear: Hill Street Blues ----> NYPD Blue, Third Watch, (ok, I see a theme developing here), Wonderama (w/Sonny Fox ... but that was from childhood), Green Acres, Gigantor ... my earliest fascination with Japanese Anime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNEKhxvEvlc). I'll have to think some more about this. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We watch NCIS, NCIS:LA, Big Bang Theory, Hawaii Five-O, Person of Interest, How I Met Your Mother, Top Gear, the Graham Norton Show, and a few others regularly. Whenever Hammond or May has a spin-off series we watch that, too. (Richard Hammond's Crash Course, James May's Man Lab, etc.)

My wife also regularly watches Survivor, The Amazing Race, Modern Family, Two Broke Girls, and some others for which I can't even recall the names.

We watched The Closer but didn't enjoy Major Crimes as much after Kyra Sedgwick left the show and it was renamed.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:Great submissions so far. I am looking for a new series as the ones I've enjoyed most lately ON DEMAND (w/ no commercials for Peter's sake) are over and done.
Nope, no commercials here. DVR, Netflix, and lately we tried Amazon Instant Video, for which Marijke has a Prime membership. That's how we're watching Sherlock, in HD. I was glad to find our DSL worked for HD.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Three Stooges
I Led Three Lives
Hill Street Blues
Babylon 5
Farscape
Star Gate
Jumong (Korean historical drama)
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Roy Hersh wrote:<snip> (w/ no commercials for Peter's sake) <snip
It really makes it or breaks it for me.
Roy Hersh wrote:...American Idol. Ok, we all have a fault. [foilhat.gif]
These are called "Guilty Pleasures" and we all have them. I tend to watch old Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan movies when feeling the need for some comfort.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Star Trek, Johnny Quest, Speed Racer.
I was also a Gigantor fan. No one remembers Eight Man, another Japanese cartoon based on anime. This was in the early 60's. He was the first bionic man character and had to get his recharged energy by smoking special cigarettes!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote: the Graham Norton Show, and a few others regularly.
We watch Graham Norton Show regularly as well.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Eric nailed one I forgot---Johnny Quest. What a fun show--always wanted a dog like Bandit and fly those fun toys.

Commercials---It's not the commercials to me per se--its the number of them. Just total overload--every break is 5-8 of them and there are several. Yet the best part of the Super Bowl is usually the commercials....go figure.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Chips
MASH
Emergency 51
Brady Bunch
Game of Thrones
Downtown Abbey
Deadliest Catch
Hill Street Blues
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

The Bob Newhart Show
Rockford Files
MASH
Gilligan's Island
The Odd Couple
Columbo
Sanford & Son
Deadliest Catch
In Living Color
Amazing Race
Northern Exposure
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Forgot;

Gilligan's Island
21 Jump street
In Living Color: Fire Marshal Bill was so funny, OMG (My friend was an executive at Fox during this time and she said they used to get tons of hate mail whenever that character would be in an episode).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

In a category together : All in the family , MASH

and who can't forget : The Andy Griffin show
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

All In the Family
Happy Days
The Simpsons
The Sopranos
Mad Men
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

OK, so I am really late to the game with DEXTER. Love it though it is truly dark!