Vintage Port identification gallery + request for images

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Phil W

Vintage Port identification gallery + request for images

Post by Phil W »

I have created a new feature on my personal website which may be of interest, and I hope could grow to be a useful resource; It is a gallery of vintage port bottles, labels, capsules and bottle details.

VP Identification Gallery

Initially the web page allows some simple filtering (by house, year range) and will display all images for the specified filters, e.g. all images for bottles from 1970-1977 inclusive or all capsule images from that same date range. I hope that this can grow significantly in size as I photograph further bottles, and with any images received from others, which leads me to...

Request for Images
I would like to put out a general request for any images of VP bottles, labels and capsules from people which they would be willing to share with me for use within the database. I am particularly interested in images from older bottles, and am quite happy to sort through image sets and crop bottles/labels, and would be happy to hear from any individuals, retailers, shippers, auction houses, and any others willing to contribute images; the only restriction is that the images must be your own to share. I am quite happy to take images containing multiple bottles, or where the bottle is only part of the photo and will crop accordingly.

Please PM me if you have images which you would be happy to share for inclusion and we can select a transfer method (FTP, Dropbox, file-share, other) and credentials as needed. All contributions are most welcome.
Last edited by Phil W on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Archer

Re: Vintage Port identification gallery + request for images

Post by Tom Archer »

Phil is a relative newcomer to the British port scene, but is a thoroughly nice guy who is putting a lot of effort into this project, so please help him if you can.

The project reminds me of something I've had on the 'back burner' for some time, namely replacement (but not fake..) labels.

The idea is to scan old labels at around 300dpi and then clean up the images, adding the words 'Replacement label' in a small font at the bottom.

In many cases it should be possible to matrix vintage dates with label formats to reduce the overall workload. Ultimately it could be possible to produce a comprehensive stock of images that embody the spirit of the original, but without pretence to forgery; that individuals could print out and apply, when the original label on a bottle is either missing or trashed.

- Anyone else think this is a worthwhile exercise?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think it is a neat and worthwhile exercise. I'll see what photos I can dig up, and can take pictures of bottles when I'm restocking my cellar (currently under construction, bottles stored with a friend at the moment).

Another thing to consider adding--pictures of OWCs.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Thanks Eric; I'm happy to receive any number of images, large or small, all appreciated. At the moment I'm focussed on bottles, labels and capsules, though possible extensions include corks and OWCs; I have a fair number of cork images already (indexed) and am happy to be sent OWC images also, though I will likely not extend the database with these for now to keep the project more manageable in the beginning.

Potential methods for transfer once you have files ready (either as sets of files in directories, or as one large zip-file) include:

(1) FTP - I have a private server and can provide you with FTP address, username and password; This is the simplest and most secure, if you are familiar with FTP.
(2) Dropbox - If you already use Dropbox, I can provide a dropbox folder to copy/upload to (or you can share your folder to me).
(3) File-share provider - There are lots of these; I have used www.transferbigfiles.com successfully for (insecure) transfer of large zip file

When you have files ready, please drop me a PM and we can exchange any access details needed for the transfer; Thanks.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

For some reason I can't send you a PM. I'm not all that worried about my email (it is found in a lot of places). I use DropBox (username is pwmeek a.t comcast d.t net) and have quite a few photos of port labels. I have more tawnies than VPs; do you want these as well? I also have a backlog of unphotographed bottles which I could send along once I get around to taking the pictures. One OWC (modern) and a few corks and capsules as well.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Thanks Peter - I've no idea why you were not able to PM me [shrug.gif]
I've PM'd you, and created & shared a dropbox folder with you, so hopefully that will all work smoothly.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Several folders of port images uploaded to the shared folder. (Now able to send PM - or at least reply to yours).
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Thank you to those who have submitted images so far; All images to date have now been incorporated into the database.