Conflict with the Last One

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Conflict with the Last One

Post by John M. »

I purchased a bunch of 2000 SW LBVs a while ago and have one left. Having a hard time thinking of opening it--once I do its all gone. Does anyone else have that problem with the last one out of a case? Easy to drink 1 through 11, but that 12th is a devil....temptation & resistence.

[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Conflict with the Last One

Post by Glenn E. »

Yep. I still have a 2003 Taylor LBV that I know is getting past its prime, but I liked those so much that I don't want to drink the last one.

I have a similar problem with 40-yr olds from the various FTLOP buying ops. Roy needs to set up another op that will let me resupply my stock of 40-yr olds so that I can drink the last ones from the Noval, Kopke, and Quevedo ops over the last few years! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

"Past it's prime!" Glenn, bite your tongue. The '03 taylor's LBV is a fabulous port. I had a bottle only a couple of months ago and it is delicious and still going strong.

As for the '00 Smith Woodhouse LBV, it is a traditional-styled LBV and is likely to go on for years. I had a '92 Warres LBV, another traditional-styled LBV and it is wickedly good with a 6-hour decant. Still a baby.

Cheers................Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oh yeah! It always seems super hard to pull the plug and open the last bottle of something in the cellar. Not sure why. I guess it's the thought that there will be no more. With basic easy to get stuff it isn't much, if any, issue. But the harder to find or get stuff...like an S. Leonardo, old VP or LBV, a rare Douro wine, etc. Super tough!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote:I purchased a bunch of 2000 SW LBVs a while ago and have one left. Having a hard time thinking of opening it--once I do its all gone.
You could always buy more :D I purchased some 2000 SW LBV earlier this year at my local Costco. I saw some today in a local store, $28 each.

Besides the last bottle issue, I also have something of a first bottle conflict when opening a case (as opposed to loose bottles). So I buy an extra bottle or two :D
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

I understand but there comes a time when waiting is a crime. I try to gather my family to celebrate my last bottles of older vintage port. I have the non-vintage when I think they are showing their best. Remember life is too short to drink wine past its prime (believe me we have all experienced that bummer, not so horrible for a table wine with alternates but hurtful for a port). Drink now and disregard the rest. Jim
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Andy Velebil wrote:Oh yeah! It always seems super hard to pull the plug and open the last bottle of something in the cellar. Not sure why. I guess it's the thought that there will be no more. With basic easy to get stuff it isn't much, if any, issue. But the harder to find or get stuff...like an S. Leonardo, old VP or LBV, a rare Douro wine, etc. Super tough!
+1

But I do try to avoid waiting for too long. Nothing worse than finding out you waited for too long [dash1.gif]

The good thing with Port for me is that I haven't had enough of the stuff yet it seems to have encountered bottles that have gone past there drinking window [beg.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Try this for guilt-free pleasure and cleansing your soul when conflicted what to do with that last bottle:

Go through your cellar and ye shall find many "bin ends" or those bottles connected to your heart as they are the last ones. Grab six or eight or ten of these last bottles. Call a dozen friends and create a great celebration, "Bin End Depletion" party, or B.E.D. party. [welcome.gif] Have everyone gather & share in your passion for these last bottles. You will have fun instead of feeling bad that they're gone!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com