Cockburns Special Reserve Port.

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob Parsons Alberta

Cockburns Special Reserve Port.

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

I guess this is a ruby port? Chap at work showed me a bottle and the tag had some numbers with 04 underneath. What does this signify please?

Happy New Year to all [cheers.gif].
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Cockburns Special Reserve Port.

Post by Andy Velebil »

This is a ruby reserve port. A step up from a basic ruby. A nice one at that. I just opened a bottle the other day to cook with and of course to sample to ensure it was ok to cook with :)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like the Selo number, Bob. Usually two numbers/letters on top, a row of 6 in the middle, then two more on the bottom. 04 would just be coincidence... The numbers have nothing to do with the date.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I believe this still remains the number one selling Port worldwide. It was for many years, don't know that it has changed. Absolutely huge and worthy of not declaring the 1977 VP in order to get the product launched, finally, in the UK which made all the difference in the world.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy Hersh wrote:I believe this still remains the number one selling Port worldwide. It was for many years, don't know that it has changed. Absolutely huge and worthy of not declaring the 1977 VP in order to get the product launched, finally, in the UK which made all the difference in the world.
Fascinating, I was reading recently (in one of Decanters recent back page "legend" wine articles I think) where it was implied that the house was amiss in missing a few major declarations in that era, such as '77. This puts that in a whole new light.
-Brad

Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:I believe this still remains the number one selling Port worldwide. It was for many years, don't know that it has changed. Absolutely huge and worthy of not declaring the 1977 VP in order to get the product launched, finally, in the UK which made all the difference in the world.
Fascinating, I was reading recently (in one of Decanters recent back page "legend" wine articles I think) where it was implied that the house was amiss in missing a few major declarations in that era, such as '77. This puts that in a whole new light.
Ah, that would have been the article about the Cockburn 1947. I read that article with interest. Although Cockburn did not release the 1977 vintage (or the 1966) they did make and bottle it and bottles do occasionally crop up at tastings or on the secondary market.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Al B. wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Ah, that would have been the article about the Cockburn 1947. I read that article with interest. Although Cockburn did not release the 1977 vintage (or the 1966) they did make and bottle it and bottles do occasionally crop up at tastings or on the secondary market.
That would explain another book referencing a Cockburn '77. My first thought reading the article, though, was "that's the best picture you can come up with??" Haha. I know a lot of older wines wind up with facsimile labels at some point, but at least find one that's legible for your full page picture!
-Brad