Esteva

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jim R.

Esteva

Post by Jim R. »

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I do not know the smell/flavor of this Port component even though I have enjoyed many Ports over the years. Anyone out there have a good description? I am sure I can place it if I get a description. Thanks!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Esteva

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Jim,

When I use the term Esteva in an occasional tasting note (I found that character often in several 2007 VPs), it is because it reminds me of the smell of the common flower found around the vineyards in the Douro. It is a green, herbaceous scent, fresh, somewhat "stalky" and very slightly minty, maybe a faint whiff of eucalyptus but not powerful in that regard (like some Australian Shiraz impressions). It is not easy to describe the smell of a flower, so I hope that will suffice.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: It is a green, herbaceous scent, fresh, somewhat "stalky" and very slightly minty, maybe a faint whiff of eucalyptus...
I have tasted and smelled an herbaceous mint and eucalyptus in many ports, but just left it at that. Neat to see they is a more comprensive descriptor that sounds more appropriate to the Douro. Never heard of Esteva before.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Roy

Perfect explanation. I printed for future reference. Thanks. Jim
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Esteva is a common flower. In other countries it is called Gum Rockrose or Laudanum. There is a wiki article for it here.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

True, the British Port journo cognoscenti use that term first term often. Thank you Alex.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Al
Thanks for the additional details. jim
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Never heard of Esteva before.
You just don't remember it - it's all over the Douro, and I made a point of finding some to get a first-hand impression of it on the 2010 Harvest Tour.
Glenn Elliott