Port cocktails

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Port cocktails

Post by Glenn E. »

We have talked about various recipes at various times, but I couldn't find a consolidated thread. So here we go!

Tonight at Toulouse Petit I asked Tony, the bartender, to create a cocktail that Lindsey and I had been talking about. It worked!

1 oz 20-yr old Tawny Port
1 oz sweet bourbon whiskey (we used Buffalo Trace)
1 dash bitters (we used orange bitters)
1 splash lemon juice
Garnish with orange peel

I think it would have been better at 2:1 in favor of the Port, but it was very nice like this. You can adjust the lemon juice depending on the tawny used - Toulouse Petit had Sandeman, so it was already plenty acidic. But more lemon juice might be needed for a less acidic Port.
Glenn Elliott
Jeff G.

Re: Port cocktails

Post by Jeff G. »

Glenn E. wrote:We have talked about various recipes at various times, but I couldn't find a consolidated thread. So here we go!

Tonight at Toulouse Petit I asked Tony, the bartender, to create a cocktail that Lindsey and I had been talking about. It worked!

1 splash lemon juice
Garnish with orange peel

I think it would have been better at 2:1 in favor of the Port, but it was very nice like this. You can adjust the lemon juice depending on the tawny used - Toulouse Petit had Sandeman, so it was already plenty acidic. But more lemon juice might be needed for a less acidic Port.
i've tried this along with a bunch of others, the 1:1 or close to it is the best combo because you'd want the "bite" of the spirit
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Port cocktails

Post by Glenn E. »

Jeff G. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:We have talked about various recipes at various times, but I couldn't find a consolidated thread. So here we go!

1 splash lemon juice
Garnish with orange peel

i've tried this along with a bunch of others, the 1:1 or close to it is the best combo because you'd want the "bite" of the spirit
I found that the whiskey dominated the drink at 1:1, so that's why I'd like to try it at a higher Port ratio next time. I get what you're saying about the bite from the spirit, though, so maybe I'll try 1.5:1 first before going all the way to 2:1.
Glenn Elliott