Tell us about your first offline with others you met through FTLOP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Tell us about your first offline with others you met through FTLOP

Post by Andy Velebil »

Many of us have had the great pleasure to meet others from this fine Forum and share some some bottles. So please tell us about that first offline or gathering.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gerwin de Graaf

Re: Tell us about your first offline with others you met through FTLOP

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Unfortenately, I've hadn't had that pleasure yet. Not a lot of offlines available over here in The Netherlands (or Belgium) I gather.

Maybe a good 2014 resolution to get to it and try to organise one! [beg.gif]
John M.

Post by John M. »

A couple of years ago I met Roy, Eric Ifune, Steve Pollack, Jeff G and his well known buddy who does not post on this forum as far as I can tell and a few other fine gents for a very informal gathering at The Palm in NYC. We sat at a table in the bar area and secretly decanted a few bottles (The restaurant was very accommodating) and enjoyed our port and a variety of small plates/appetizers. Had my first port from the 60s that night (1963 Warres) and others including a Ficklin 20 year Tawny. To me is was great to meet some FTLOPers--people who share my passion---and actually motivated me a bit more.

No regrets except it was such a short meeting.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The Old & Odd Tasting in NYC in November of 2008. AHB and jdaw1 were both there, among others. That was followed relatively quickly by the 2009 Port Gala here in Seattle where I met a whole host of FTLOPers.

:friends:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I think the first meeting was with Julian taking the train from NYC to Boston for a night of port with Sean C and I.

6-7 bottles of port later and the sun on the cusp of rising; it was a port night not to forget.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

My first offline was (I think?) also FTLOP's first offline on 6th November 2005 [friends.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That was mine as well Derek. We did that great diagonal/matrix tasting with 1963, 1966 and 1970 VP's from four Fonseca, Taylor, Graham and Sandeman. (I maybe mistaken on the Graham's). Anyway, that was at the old Crusting Pipe in Convent Garden. Shame they changed for the worst as I loved that tunnel atmosphere in the back rooms. Great space and perfect for offlines.

Although I loved that one, I think my all-time favorite was the "offline" which really was what turned out to the the UK guys joining the Yanks in Portugal for the 2006 Port Harvest Tour. Amazing experience for all and when Derek, Alex and Chris got to meet Andy, Stewart, David and others for the very first time. I'll never forget that tour or the friendships that were permanently cemented during those days and nights.

BTW, kudos for this great thread Andy! [notworthy.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bump
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

My first major FTLOP offline of sorts was the 2006 Harvest Tour where I met a good number of people here. Most are still here fairly regularly, one can't be online at present, and I think one or two others pop in from time to time. That said, it was an epic trip based more so on the group of people which were on it. The likes of which have never reached such heights of debauchery since. Many of us are still very good friends and vacation or visit with each other as often as schedules allow. Hard to believe it's coming up on 8 years, feels like yesterday.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

It was the 2011 harvest tour for me, which was a great trip and a great time to be in the Douro, meeting lots of very happy winemakers. I was back again in 2013 and got to meet a few more people from the forums. I'm thinking that I might have to plan a US holiday to co-inside with a tasting somewhere in 2015!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul Fountain wrote:It was the 2011 harvest tour for me, which was a great trip and a great time to be in the Douro, meeting lots of very happy winemakers. I was back again in 2013 and got to meet a few more people from the forums. I'm thinking that I might have to plan a US holiday to co-inside with a tasting somewhere in 2015!
Los Angeles is waiting [cheers.gif]
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Glenn E. wrote:The Old & Odd Tasting in NYC in November of 2008. AHB and jdaw1 were both there, among others. That was followed relatively quickly by the 2009 Port Gala here in Seattle where I met a whole host of FTLOPers.

:friends:
oh i forgot about this tasting!

actually i didn't even know there were the forums at this time.

I had met julian somewhere and tagged along
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Derek T. wrote:My first offline was (I think?) also FTLOP's first offline on 6th November 2005 [friends.gif]
No surprise, but that was the first time I met up with other port lovers through this board.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Can't remember my first FTLOP offline. I knew Roy before the start up. I think I even met Andy beforehand. I'm going to guess in Seattle a few years ago.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Can't remember my first FTLOP offline. I knew Roy before the start up. I think I even met Andy beforehand. I'm going to guess in Seattle a few years ago.
Yes, IIRC we met at a offline from the Squire's board prior first.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Anyone else?
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

Not a tasting, just a meeting... just now with John M in Newark, NJ at Taste of Portugal. We had lunch, starting with Taylor Fladgate 20 year old (port before eating really threw the bartender for a loop - this was a first for her). We both had a very garlicky chicken, so I did not have a port afterwards but switched to sangria. John had to go back to work, so he stopped at one. I didn't and am working on a decent sangria as I wait for my carpool driver (works done for today!)

For people who may visit this place, they have steak on a stone, which is a steak cooked at the table on a lava rock.

Anyway, John M. is a great guy and I am very happy he reached out to me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In a Forum first ... it was great to meet Tom Demergian at Andy's offline. Not sure if it was his first time meeting any FTLOP'ers, but it was certainly nice to meet him after reading so many of his posts here over the past few years.

Also a lot of fun to see friends from this board from near and far at Andy's events!