Port in the supermarket

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Port in the supermarket

Post by Andy Velebil »

What regular stores or markets have you found to be a decent source for some of the Port you buy? I'm not talking a wine store, but regular markets like Vons, Waitrose, Trader Joe's, Ralphs, etc.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: Port in the supermarket

Post by Derek T. »

Sainsbury, Tesco, Asda and Waitrose in the UK and in that order.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

In Colorado, none. Grocery stores can only sell 3.2% beer. A few places have an affiliated liquor store next door, e.g. there is a liquor store connected by a wall to one of my local Costcos, but your purchase there is rung up there, not in the main store, and the liquor store is not owned by Costco as far as I know, although one in the state might be. You see, there are no liquor store chains in Colorado either. All liquor stores are independent. When Trader Joe's sets up shop here, I expect that they will have one liquor store next to one of their stores in the state, and I think that will be the main Denver store.

On the plus side, shipping into the state has been easy as long as I've lived here. And there are positive arguments made about the selection available due to the current laws. The craft beer guild always lobbies against grocery store sales because then the big chains like Wal-Mart will just put in an aisle of Bud-Miller-Coors, negotiated to a cheap price at large wholesale level.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Costco (in New Hampshire) has Sandeman 20 year tawny and a few other ports at prices slightly better than the NH state stores.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

In Maryland! Ha!!!! The closest thing to alcohol you can buy in a grocery store is Aquafina.

-- Gary
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gary Richardson wrote:In Maryland! Ha!!!! The closest thing to alcohol you can buy in a grocery store is Aquafina.

-- Gary
Would that be the 2011 or 2013 vintage?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Eat your hearts out!!!! I live here because the cost of eating and drinking is so low. With a paid for roof over my head what more do I need? Absolutely every shop that sells wine has a wide range of Port -some better than others of course, so it depends on which brands you prefer. I am sure that some of you could also live here if you really do LOVE Port.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Gary Banker wrote:Costco (in New Hampshire) has Sandeman 20 year tawny and a few other ports at prices slightly better than the NH state stores.
Same in Waltham Ma store.

Whole Foods has had some decent ports at "I don't feel like driving to the packy" prices. Been a whiles, but thought they had Ramos Pinto, Vesuvio and few others... Trader Joes has their unique offerings from the Symingtons and the "legendary" Porto Morgado, lol. Not as many supermarkets are selling booze in MA like other states.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Gary Banker wrote:Costco (in New Hampshire) has Sandeman 20 year tawny and a few other ports at prices slightly better than the NH state stores.
Same in Waltham Ma store.

Whole Foods has had some decent ports at "I don't feel like driving to the packy" prices. Been a whiles, but thought they had Ramos Pinto, Vesuvio and few others... Trader Joes has their unique offerings from the Symingtons and the "legendary" Porto Morgado, lol. Not as many supermarkets are selling booze in MA like other states.

Wegman's on Rte 20 in Northborough has a large wine department. I don't remember the ports that they had, but they had Yquem. They will have a store behind Burlington Mall, which should have at least as good a selection.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Gary Banker wrote:Wegman's on Rte 20 in Northborough has a large wine department. I don't remember the ports that they had, but they had Yquem. They will have a store behind Burlington Mall, which should have at least as good a selection.
They're opening one down the road from me in Chestnut Hill. Never been to a Wegman's. A bunch of my relatives went to Cornell, so they are all into Wegman's.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote:Eat your hearts out!!!! I live here because the cost of eating and drinking is so low. With a paid for roof over my head what more do I need? Absolutely every shop that sells wine has a wide range of Port -some better than others of course, so it depends on which brands you prefer. I am sure that some of you could also live here if you really do LOVE Port.
I would so be in trouble if I lived there I would be buying everything hahaha
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Andy Velebil wrote: I would so be in trouble if I lived there I would be buying everything hahaha
You could afford to buy everything.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: I would so be in trouble if I lived there I would be buying everything hahaha
You could afford to buy everything.
[yahoo.gif]
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Andy, That made me smile, but I meant it. If you have an income of about $US1350 a month (and somewhere to live that is paid for) you can enjoy a fairlly good life. $US2000 a month and your are in heaven. I suggest you buy somewhere with a liveable house and a wee bit of land in an unfashionable area and just enjoy life as it should be lived.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote:Andy, That made me smile, but I meant it. If you have an income of about $US1350 a month (and somewhere to live that is paid for) you can enjoy a fairlly good life. $US2000 a month and your are in heaven. I suggest you buy somewhere with a liveable house and a wee bit of land in an unfashionable area and just enjoy life as it should be lived.
Good thing I'm a simple person who doesn't need much except my Douro wines and Port [cheers.gif]