1994 Dow's vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1994 Dow's vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Case of six bottles purchased en primeur from Berry Bros, London, U.K., back in 1995, and been stable in my cellar here in Norway since 1996. Tasted only one bottle in 2006, which showed it was much too early to drink. Now it is time. After having consumed this bottle, I was wondering whether this port is not going to last as long as many were thinking when evaluating the 1994 vintage at an early stage.

6 hrs decanting. Medium dark red with a hint of brown. Complex aroma of old cellar, minerals, wet woodwork and pickled berries. Full body. Elegant, powerful, stronger tannins than preferable, old cellar and berries. Long aftertaste. Very nice 20 yr old vintage port. 92 pts.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1994 Dow's vintage port

Post by David Spriggs »

Wow.. Really? I have a LOT of this. I guess I'll have to open one up. Thanks for the TN!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am under the firm belief that a good number of 1994's are going through a rather late closed up period at present. Within the past few years I've experienced a good number of 1994's which didn't show anywhere near where they have in the past. Noval Nacional, Vesuvio, and Warre's to mention a few. I am sure if these are there are probably many others as well. What I don't know is why these seemingly have entered such a phase at this time, after being approachable for so long.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

1994 Dow's vintage port

Post by David Spriggs »

Oh no! And we're having a big 1994 vertical in July. I know that 1994 Vesuvio takes a couple if days to open up and that used to be a pop-n-pour beauty.

Rune, did you finish the bottle in on day or over several days?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Anyone try '94 Cockburn recently?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Anyone try '94 Cockburn recently?
Not me
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I've recently opened a bottle of '94 Cockburn and I found it to be rather closed. It wasn't nearly as expressive as earlier bottles I've had. I'm thinking that I may revisit it in another 5 years or so to check on its development.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc interesting and good to know.

The question of 1994's may be a good question for the trade in an upcoming newsletter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hi David!
We did finish it in one evening. Interesting comments from Andy. if that is really the case, then these bottles have to wait even longer.
Andy, have tested your theory with anyone from Symington?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am no rush to even look at 1994 vintage. If it's going to be as good as predicted early on, I can wait another decade.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune EG wrote:Hi David!
We did finish it in one evening. Interesting comments from Andy. if that is really the case, then these bottles have to wait even longer.
Andy, have tested your theory with anyone from Symington?
No, not yet.