How long have you gone without Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

How long have you gone without Port?

Post by John M. »

I have gone a month now without a glass of Port---just circumstance really---lots of gin & tonics, straight gin, beer and bourbon sidecars. Still the longest stretch without Port in years.

So....In the past twelve months what is the longest period you've gone without Port?
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: How long have you gone without Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I don't think i've gone more than a 2-3 weeks without Port in as long as I can remember. Though this summer I've had less Port at home than at any time in the recent past. Not for a lack of want, but we've had some very unusually hot and humid weather this summer. I'm ok with the hot, the humid part was killing me though and I've been sticking to gin and tonic's, beer, and margarita's mostly.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mild summer here has been friendly to my Port drinking :-)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

I usually have a bottle every other month. Usually vintage or LBVP. The only exception is when I give up all alcohol for six weeks during Lent (time of penance for roman catholics).
John M.

Post by John M. »

I really broke my streak Saturday with a 2008 Quinta do Crasto & a South African Port...which was a 2009 Boplaa's "Cape Vintage" which was described as having aging potential. I did post a TN on the Crasto. The Boplaa's was very pleasant, one of the better non-oporto port styles I've had. Gave it 87 points.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:I really broke my streak Saturday with a 2008 Quinta do Crasto & a South African Port...which was a 2009 Boplaa's "Cape Vintage" which was described as having aging potential. I did post a TN on the Crasto. The Boplaa's was very pleasant, one of the better non-oporto port styles I've had. Gave it 87 points.
I've had some previous vintages of the Cape Vintage. Generally pretty decent stuff for not being the real deal.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com