October's FTLOP eNewsletter comments

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

October's FTLOP eNewsletter comments

Post by Roy Hersh »

I always appreciate feedback and wondered if you thought it was too commercial offering those two pieces of artwork in the newsletter?

Also, did you enjoy having "guest" writers for the article from our UK friends? Would you like to see this trend continue where I encourage folks to add articles, news etc. to the newsletter?

Any other feedback on photos or other items that were included from Atlanta Port article to .... ?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

I really enjoyed the guest article and found myself dreaming up suitable evenings for the consumption of port and other wines.
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

my favorite newsletter to date. envy was the emotion I felt. love the idea of member articles as well.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy,

I thought the commercial offering of the pictures was great. I'm very tempted to buy one, but not sure if I will. However, I can say that Suzanne is a very talented artist and one of her pictures would look great in our house.

Perhaps I'll just leave the article lying around and see what happens.

Alex

PS - thanks for the kind comments on our article. It was a fun experience and was almost as much fun writing up our "Port 'n' Spa" weekend.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy, I enjoyed the newsletter and did not find it to commercial. I also like the idea of a guest writer, Alex wrote a great article that I enjoyed reading.
keep up the good work
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I thought it was very well done, the photo of Oporto stunning. The graphics of the paintings were also great. I like the guest article. I note that I am opening a 1963 Graham's this Thursday at a special dinner here in Fort Worth. It is good to know it woud stand up well against older Nacionals.

I did not find it overly commercial. I have no problem at all with someone asking for a sale, especially when it is done in such good taste. While we have all kinds of service industries, economics 101 says that nothing happens in this world to generate cash flow until someone produces and sells something. How did we get to the point that it was dishonorable?
I am in a so called dignified service industry of law but I once was in sales of goods. I respect those who produce and sell anything be it art , wine, or whatever.
Richard Henderson
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

I found Alex & Derek's Article very amusing. The piece is interesting and I had fun just by reading it. Congratulations to the authors :)

In my opinion, guest writers add to the quality of the Newsletter. Recipients find a different writing style, which is a positive thing, and it's always interesting to learn from other people's experiences. Somehow, right now my envision says that for the long-term the FTLOP Newsletter might evolve into a Port Wine Magazine with regular editorial writers . :)
Last edited by Mario Ferreira on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You never know Mario, stranger things have happened.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and truly hope that others will submit their works for inclusion in future issues of the newsletter. It was so nice not to feel compelled to write a second article during my daze at the Fair. Having such a wonderful article by Alex and Derek was a great ground breaker for others to learn from.

This afternoon, I was urged to write a book on Port and now Mario quips about a Port magazine. We'll see what evolves in time. For now, keeping up with the Forum, writing the newsletter, traveling to lead Port tastings and also guiding a few Port/Madeira trips etc. will keep me as involved in Port, as my family will allow at the moment. :lol:

It will be interesting to see if folks appreciate Suzanne's artwork. I have never met her in person and look forward to seeing her artwork at some point. First, I need to get my bottles back. 8)

I guess I don't need to say this, but I am not financially involved in her project whatsoever. When she contacted me it was "informational" originally and then turned into me providing her with some groups of bottles. Once she sent me photos of her work, I asked her if she'd grant the FTLOP community, an exclusive on her Port works. The rest is history.

Anyway, I am already working on FTLOP issue #19 and hope to launch it in 3 weeks. #20 will be a major issue with a few distinct surprises to end 2006 and should provide a good read during the holiday season. Also before the end of 2006, the entire website's design and functionality will finally evolve into its new format. Stewart and I will be finalizing things this weekend over some very fine Port.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Sweet

Post by David Sweet »

A Port Wine Magazine is an incredible idea--can I be a charter subscriber??

A lot I need to learn and enjoy; such a magazine along with this website/forum would be a fantastic combination!!
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,
I really enjoyed the October 2006 newsletter. The photos made me drool all over my keyboard, and I wish I had been in Oporto...

It gave me pleasure to read the guest article by my talented fellow Port loving friends Alex and Derek. Future submissions should be permitted as and when you feel they show others a good insight into the wonderful world of Port.

I don't think the paintings were too commercial. No one is forced to buy anything...

Keep up the great work!

Your droog,
Nicos
YOLO