Montreal--> North-East American Offline

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Montreal--> North-East American Offline

Post by Frederick Blais »

As there was some people interested from a previous post, I'd like to know who would be interested to join either at a Montreal restaurant or at a private house for a tasting of Port.

I'd say late January or early February to let us time to settle after holydays drinking. Tell me if you are interested and what dates/day would best fit for you. Also say if you'd like to offer your house to receive peeps, if none we'll choose a restaurant.

Everyone is also welcome if you want to make the trip.

So far we have :

Frédérick --> Sandeman 40 yo -- Ok 3rd February
Alexis + Julie Ok 3rd February
Moses + 1 -- Ok 3rd February
Paul + Francis --> Vargelas 95 + ?-- Ok 3rd February
Steve Culhane -- Ok 3rd February -- hosting
DaRoriz + 1 --Ok 3rd February
Derek?
Last edited by Frederick Blais on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

My girlfriend and I are interested, depending on the date. My birthday is at the end of January and I have something planned. Beginning of feb would be the best for us.
Moses Botbol

Port Tasting in Montreal

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am interested, but will have to plan accomdations in advance. May bring two others.
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Good initiative,

I would be interested in either the restaurant option(with or without a meal) or perhaps even hosting an event. (just not the valentine's weekend) if we stick to Jan & Feb.

If I host, I would need to limit the number of people because of floor space.
I don't think I have enough glasses, but we can offer some very nice chorico, bread, cod-cakes, olives and other tasty Portuguese munchies.

but maybe the first one will be easier in a restaurant and then we can look to people's homes in some sort of rotation for following events.

cheers
Paul
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

UK Guys - BMI, BA and Air Canada are all doing return flights from Heathrow to Montreal for around £340 on last weekend in January and 1st weekend in February.

KLM have an even cheaper price from Amsterdam for the Netherlands contingent.

Anyone fancy a Eurpoean invasion of North America? - it's a few hundered years since the first time we tried it so maybe it's time we went over again to see what our ancenstors have made of the place :lol:

Derek
Moses Botbol

Montreal

Post by Moses Botbol »

paba wrote:Good initiative,

I would be interested in either the restaurant option(with or without a meal) or perhaps even hosting an event. (just not the valentine's weekend) if we stick to Jan & Feb.

If I host, I would need to limit the number of people because of floor space.
I don't think I have enough glasses, but we can offer some very nice chorico, bread, cod-cakes, olives and other tasty Portuguese munchies.

but maybe the first one will be easier in a restaurant and then we can look to people's homes in some sort of rotation for following events.

cheers
Paul
I am sure we could all bring glasses. I have a few and can get more. Just replaced my broken Riedel today with a case of 99 Ferriera LBV...

Sounds like this could be an epic event? Do we each bring a fine bottle?
Frederick Blais

Derek you are more then welcome in our country!!

I don't like to set rules regarding what bottle you must bring. Anything that you feel confortable to bring is fine with me normally. If you want to leave your first impression as the guy who brought a Ruby, free to you :lol:

I'll start declaring a Sandeman 40 years old!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Fred,

When I read this thread I checked out the price of flights out of curiosity but was surprised to find them fairly reasonabe.

I don't know if I could swing it to get over there for the first FTLOP Offline in Canada but will certainly give it some thought :wink:

Derek
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

.........and if I do come over I certainly won't be bringing a Ruby :P
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Hey glad to see the momentum building up, I'm getting excited this could actually happen....

wow Fred, you've set the bar pretty high, I'll have to see what I can contribute to the effort. I'm a little low on tawnies and Colheitas, I was saving my Taylor 40 for my birthday next year. I have several VP 97 but no doubt a little young. Maybe Taylor Vargellas 95 but even that is a bit young. I could always go out a buy something I guess.

cheers
Paul
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

I would also be interested. Weekdays are definitely out for me as I am often out of town. Fri-Sat eve would work best.

I can host if the crowd is not too big (table sits 8 with some creativity :D ) I am East near Olympic Stadium.

Steve
Frederick Blais

Paul, I wanted to bring a tawny especially because I know not a lot of people has them in their cellar. Vargellas 95 is perfect to bring as a bottle.
Frederick Blais

So far we have :

Frédérick --> Sandeman 40 yo -- Ok 3rd February
Alexis + Julie Ok 3rd February
Moses + 1 -- Ok 3rd February
Paul + Francis -- need to confirm for 3rd of February
Steve Culhane -- Ok 3rd February -- hosting
Derek?
Last edited by Frederick Blais on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Count me for 2 guys with 2 bottles. Second guy's name is Francis. He doesn't post here but I drank a few VP's with him in the past. Unless we want to stick to members.

cheers
Paul
Frederick Blais

Paul, maybe he will be a participant to the forum after the tasting 8)
Moses Botbol

dates?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Any solid dates yet? Late Jan?
Frederick Blais

How about the 3rd of February(Saturday)? Alexis said he could not in January. Could this date fit to everyone?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frédérick Blais wrote:How about the 3rd of February(Saturday)? Alexis said he could not in January. Could this date fit to everyone?
Works for me. I'll probably come up there on Friday and leave Sunday... Let's get this "engraved in stone". Not sure on my head count yet.
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Frédérick Blais wrote:How about the 3rd of February(Saturday)? Alexis said he could not in January. Could this date fit to everyone?
That would work for me (99% sure). Let me know if you want me to host. I can sit 8 at a table if we want to do this formal or double that if we do an informal thing where people walk around and sit on the couch. We could have cheese for food which I have done often.

I can supply port or $$$. If everyone is bringing a full bottle, the taxis are going to be happy that night in Mtl...

Steve
Frederick Blais

Steve, yes if you want to host it, I'd be glad to give you a go. I've always preferred the casual ambience of a house for a tasting to the more noisy atmosphere of a restaurant.

Yes you can put money to buy cheese, paté and bread instead of putting a bottle of Port. I'm not sure every bottle will be empty, will see at the end if people wants to trade or bring back their bottle to taste the second day.

It is looking great so far!