Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom D.

Re: Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

Post by Tom D. »

Roy, I think your original email about this offer mentioned it being a good reason for new subscribers to join FTLOP. I was going to post a note on the CellarTracker forum, as I know a number of Port lovers there who should really be FTLOP subscribers -- maybe this offer will entice them. Is there a public link somewhere that I could direct people to for details about the offer, or is that info still for subscribers only?
Tom D.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

I certainly would be happy for you to post to CT if you feel like that is something you are comfortable doing. As a close friend of Eric's, at CT, I am sure he'd welcome having that there, as my TN"s and collaboration with Eric over the years has been a lot of fun. That said, this is a subscriber's only offering and I would appreciate it if ALL subscriber's would honor my wish for this to remain SOLELY for subscribers and NOT become any more public than what appears in this thread. I hope you'll understand my reasons for that. That doesn't mean that you can't give basics, but not specifics ... especially about pricing or how to go about ordering. Quantities are limited as some have found out and I don't want people who are not even connected here, no less non-subscribers, to gain access to the bottles that are for sale. Then again, after the offering expires on the 13th ... then you are free to post whatever you'd like and can include everything.

My only wish is that I had more ability to do deals that reach out to our subscribers in other countries. I have been able to arrange one or two that way, but from where I sit (reside) that is not an easy feat, and I must admit, it is my sole regret with these offerings. :(
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Does anyone have any idea if certain bottles have sold out? I haven't heard back from the seller concerning my order yesterday, wondering if maybe I was too late...
Tom D.
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Roy, I'll post a link to this thread with a brief explanation. I've been fairly active at CT over the years so have no problem promoting a worthy cause there. If any of my acquaintances there contact me with questions, I may privately share some info about the wines with them, but I'll make it clear they'll need to subscribe to find out pricing and how to order.
Tom D.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just placed an order...waiting to hear back. I wish I could have ordered more, but home remodeling has drained my wine budget recently. There are some really good deals in this offer!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I got a call back yesterday confirming my order (or rather, correcting it as I'd accidentally mis-typed one of the bottles).

I'm getting a case of Douro Reserva and 20 bottles of Colheita! [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn, the "Tawny Man" has spoken.

I checked mid-day yesterday and lots of orders were in. The quantities on most of the Colheitas was pretty solid. I did not feel it appropriate to put them into the offering, for various reasons. However, there are items that will absolutely sell out and in fact, the table wines had fairly limited quantities. If you ordered early on you likely wound up with some, but if you ordered late ... doubtful.

Everyone should hear about their orders, as they were accepted ... in due course. :scholar: I am sure you all realize this is not something the importer is used to doing (although we did a much smaller offering with them back in 2009) selling direct is in addition to everything they have to do logistically every day and this is a small mom and pop type of operation that has added this on, for the the benefit of FTLOP subscribers, who they realize are their core-type of clientele.

I am pleased re: everyone's enthusiasm and have started scouring for the next buyer's op for a few months down the road. :winebath:

:thanks:

The "Port pusher man"
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Just hoping I got my order in before Glenn! :lol:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will gain more intel tomorrow, but as of this evening in terms of Port ... Rocha 1976 750ml ... has SOLD OUT. 5 days left if you have yet to place an order. I will find out what else has or is close to selling out in the next 24-48 hours. I am amazed at the quantity of orders and the value too. You must have really been saving up! [bye2.gif]
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:My only wish is that I had more ability to do deals that reach out to our subscribers in other countries. I have been able to arrange one or two that way, but from where I sit (reside) that is not an easy feat, and I must admit, it is my sole regret with these offerings. :(
Roy,

As you know I would subscribe whether these offers were available or not. However, I think you should perhaps consider the above when posting your "taster" messages on the FTLOP Forum and in the header of the Newsletter. I am happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think it was clear clear that this was a US-only offer when you encouraged people to subscribe so that they could take advantage of it. If your encouragement caused people from other countries to subscribe their first experience of doing so will have been the disappointment of not being able to place an order, which I am sure is not what you intended.

As I say, I am happy to be proved wrong, but if you did give this warning I missed it so others might have too.

[friends.gif] [cheers.gif]

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It was in the newsletter offering itself, but not included as a "pre-warning" as I did not check on the facet of international orders until 48 hours prior to the release of the newletter. At that point the final offering and pricing had just been finalized/approved by both parties and put into the newsletter that was awaiting this final confirmation. There was no intent to mislead, however, I do understand your point that it could appear that way. I guess I take it for granted that unless it is made explicitly clear that a particular offering IS open to subscribers from outside of the USA, that it isn't. But I will remember this dynamic (disclosure) in future offerings/promotions for the sake of personal ethics and transparency. :thanks:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:There was no intent to mislead
I already knew that was the case :wink:
Roy Hersh wrote:I guess I take it for granted that unless it is made explicitly clear that a particular offering IS open to subscribers from outside of the USA, that it isn't.
You have now identified the problem. You are by no means alone in assuming that the world consists of 50 States!

If only those pesky French hadn't helped you out you would all still be British and we wouldn't have these ridiculous logistical difficulties :lol: [cheers.gif] [bye2.gif]
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Has anyone received a reply to their email order yet?
Tom D.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom D. wrote:Has anyone received a reply to their email order yet?
Not yet but I'm sure they'll touch bases soon so I'm not worried.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I sent an e-mail early Thursday and just received a reply late today. Confirmed on all I wanted :grin:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I spoke to them today, they got hit hard by orders up to this weekend and things have now slowed down. They will now be getting in touch, as they've been laying out a matrix to see what's been ordered vs. what is in stock to ensure they are accurate with doling out the product. So please be patient. This was about 150% bigger than any previous buying op and they are a rather small company.
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

I'm happy to wait, though I am kind of hoping they'll be able to ship before summer weather arrives.
Tom D.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well one more week is not going to make the difference, besides you will hear from them well before that.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Stock update:

Out of stock as of today:

1952 x 375's
1976 x 750's

Running short now:

3 bottles left of 1937 Colheita

3 bottles left of 1967 x 375's

Going, going ...
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm waiting also, and I'm not normally very patient! [foilhat.gif]