Montreal--> North-East American Offline

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

OK,

To make things easier, I would suggest that everyone that is interested send me an e-mail with # of attendees and I will send my coordinates when the date gets closer.

I assume this would be an evening thing - around 6:30pm, so I will take care of the food (cheese, pate, fruits, chocolate) and will have complimentary home made beer for anyone intersted :lol:

I have 2 decanters and about 15 port glasses, but none are of the fancy type, so feel free to bring your own...

Saturday Feb 3rd, 6:30pm it is!

Steve
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Feb 3rd is good for me and Julie! Count us in. Now I'll just have to find a bottle to bring, which is always a fun thing to do :)
Moses Botbol

Count me in

Post by Moses Botbol »

Count me in for 2 people. Have to think of something to bring.... Hmmm. Sounds like it's going to be a fun gathering.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ok, so call me an opPORTunitst ... but I have two questions:

a. Who is going to be the author of the article with tasting notes about this event, that we can include in the GUEST's CORNER of the newsletter? I mean, there is a real story about a bunch of people who don't know each other from the East coast of the USA and Canada, meeting here in the Forum and then putting together an offline.

b.
Count me for 2 guys with 2 bottles. Second guy's name is Francis. He doesn't post here but I drank a few VP's with him in the past. Unless we want to stick to members.
Folks like Francis are the perfect type of individuals to recruit to become new FTLOP Forumites. A Port lover needs a place to hang out, in a storm! I hear in the background of my mind Bob Dylan singing, "COME IN SHE SAID, 'I'LL GIVE YA, SHELTER FROM THE STORM'."
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Alexis and Moses, if you want to bring 1 bottle for 2 peeps, it can be an idea so we don't let any left overs without being smashed! If you do so you can also bring a better bottle so we enjoy better quality port. No meaning there that I expect you to bring bad ones. Up to you, it is just my 2 cents 8)

If you guys needs some suggestions from wines/port available at the SAQ, let me know.

I have updated the status of everyone on the 1st post.

Roy... I guess I could do one article in French and someone in English, that could be an interesting contrast.
Last edited by Frederick Blais on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frédérick Blais wrote:Alexis and Moses, if you want to bring 1 bottle for 2 peeps, it can be an idea so we don't let any left overs without being smashed! If you do so you can also bring a better bottle so we enjoy better quality port. No meaning there that I expect you to bring bad ones. Up to you, it is just my 2 cents 8)
Can my one bottle be a double magnum of '27? :devil:
Frederick Blais

Sure!!!! :P I'll remove what I've said earlier :lol:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frédérick Blais wrote:Sure!!!! :P I'll remove what I've said earlier :lol:
Just have to find one... lol... I am working on having my friend come with me that has an impressive collection. There's a 1900 Dow that I am anxious for him to open. I'll bring something good. Hopefully there's no conventions in Montreal that weekend and hotel rates are good.
Frederick Blais

I can probably help you getting cheap rate at good hotels. A friend of mine have a few clubs in Montreal and normally he can get good rates for bringing lots of DJs there. I'll let you know what I can do.

If you want to stay off the island or few km away from downtown, rates are better too.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frédérick Blais wrote:I can probably help you getting cheap rate at good hotels. A friend of mine have a few clubs in Montreal and normally he can get good rates for bringing lots of DJs there. I'll let you know what I can do.

If you want to stay off the island or few km away from downtown, rates are better too.
I woud prefer to stay downtown so I can shopping on St. Catherine. We can talk later on rooms, and thanks for your offer of help. Last time I was in Montreal, I stayed at Hotel Godin.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last time I stayed in Montreal it was to ski and that was in 1974. It seems like yesterday. :lol:

Fred,
Roy... I guess I could do one article in French and someone in English, that could be an interesting contrast.
If you do your best in English, I would be happy to assist in editing for you. My French is pretty rusty.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

mosesbotbol wrote: I woud prefer to stay downtown so I can shopping on St. Catherine. We can talk later on rooms, and thanks for your offer of help. Last time I was in Montreal, I stayed at Hotel Godin.
This http://www.auberge-universel.com/ is the closest (decent) hotel to my place, about 5 minute drive. Downtown is about 20 minutes by car, 30 minutes by subway, around 20$ by taxi last time I took it.

Moses, send me a mail or a PM with your address.

Steve
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I really must get to Canada one of these days....
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Hi,
I've been quite absent on the forum since couple of weeks; if there's still some place for two, I would be very glad to drive Quebec-Montreal to join you guys with a friend of mine, a port lover from St-Hyacinthe. Let me know for follow-up.
Frederick Blais

Hiya Da Roriz... Please include your named with your profile, it will be much easier for the next exhange. Right now we are 8 confirmed, the most Steve wanted to have for hosting the event at his house.

I'll let Steve decide if he wants to jump to 10 or not. Though this gives us an indication that we could organise tasting like this more often!
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Hey!

10 is not a problem, hell I'm going to have 15 next week for a port and cheese night for my company.

However my house is not that big and my table only sits 8, so anything more than 8 means we shove the table in corner, put the cheese and wine on it and sit in the living room and kitchen. I am totally cool with that, but it is not the most condusive setting for serious tasting and note taking (which I never do!).

Right now, I have:
Fred - 1?
Alexis - 2
Moses - 2
Me - 1 or 2 (don't know if the mrs will stick around for that one :P )

Let me know if I am missing anyone...

So unless, people who are confirmed object to the sit-walk around informal type of tasting, Da Roriz, you are more than welcome to join us...

Steve
Frederick Blais

Steve, I was keeping status in the first post on the first page. Paul and Francis need to confirm for the 3rd of February.
So far we have :

Frédérick --> Sandeman 40 yo -- Ok 3rd February
Alexis + Julie Ok 3rd February
Moses + 1 -- Ok 3rd February
Paul + Francis -- need to confirm for 3rd of February
Steve Culhane -- Ok 3rd February -- hosting
DaRoriz + 1 --Ok 3rd February
Derek?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I would count me out for now guys, if I did manage to do this it would be a last minute decision so please go ahead and fix your numbers and allocate places with anyone local who is more likely to make it than I am.

Derek
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Date change: Sat Feb 17th

Those of you who had already expressed interest, I sent you an e-mail 5 minutes ago. Apologies if I missed anyone... If anyone else wants to come, please let me know by replying here.

Steve
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry I can't the 17th... but I will check with Francis, it is likely that he can still attend. I'll send you his email offline.

cheers
paba (paul)